Racism Part two

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I don’t think we should go around meddling in other countries traditions, they need to learn for themselves what is right and wrong and looking through Spanish newspapers they are slowly getting there with blackface.

football is a multicultural sport with people from all different walks of life with all different views who are we (with our not perfect past or present) to tell any other country what is right and wrong?

I don't think it is racism as it is meant to be honorary rather than derogatory but it is clearly offensive . Here's an article about the tradition and some of the conversations in Spain about it. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spain-blackface-three-kings-balthasar-b1984515.html 

I wouldn't get the pitch folks out for Monchi over it as its a tradition he has known all his life and probably doesn't see it as derogatory himself. It is ignorant though and maybe he should clarify his views publically. 

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

image.jpeg.3997cd89524ed65c05887e905fd63bb2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ea2c5077c2804a826c3f3de6b4f307e.jpeg

Genuine question. Why are these okay, but Monchi’s isn’t?

Because racism isn't possible/offensive against white people.  And it's the most possible and offensive when white people do it.  It's funny how racism itself is racist

Edited by Adman
Typi

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

image.jpeg.3997cd89524ed65c05887e905fd63bb2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ea2c5077c2804a826c3f3de6b4f307e.jpeg

Genuine question. Why are these okay, but Monchi’s isn’t?

If anybody was offended by this then it’s not ok.

Back on topic.  Welcome to the club Monchi. Exciting times ahead. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adman said:

Because racism isn't possible/offensive against white people.  And it's the most possible and offensive when white people do it.  It's funny how racism itself is racist

🤦‍♂️ are you really equating White Chicks with blackface? 

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No, it doesn't. White Chicks is not the same as blackface ffs. 

It isn’t the same but if people genuinely felt offended by it racially then they should highlight it. But if they are just bringing up to say ‘why can they do this but we can’t do this’ then it’s pretty lame. 

In Monchi we trust.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm just a dude, playing a dude... playing another dude...

Such a great movie. Also ridiculous that Netflix removed The Gang make Lethal Weapon 6. Nobody cares about the context of anything. Just the drive to cancel everything the don't like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Where I work there are people who have job titles that I have no idea what they mean....or do.

What the hell is a "senior vertical strategy manager" ?......

One of my ex-colleagues messaged me the other day because she'd just got a new job: "Licencing Asset and Configuration Analyst". 

Nope, not a clue. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Whilst I'm in no position to say what anyone should find offensive, I can say that as someone from Indian heritage myself, I'm not particularly troubled by this. I'm probably more bothered by the fairy tale itself, but that's for Off Topic.

Sure it's a clunky tradition which wouldn't be acceptable in many parts of the world now, but there's no real intent to cause harm or ridicule anyone here. Had their tradition been to make their wise men brown, I wouldn't be particularly fussed either. Context and intent are important. I'm certainly not going to look at Monchi in a lesser light having seen this.

It wasn't really that long ago that Hollywood had films like Short Circuit, where Fisher Stevens was browned-up to play an Indian scientist. Looking back, something like that is far more inappropriate (especially for a family movie), and they could have easily cast an Indian actor to play the role. Pretty cringe worthy today, but not something I'm going to lose my shit about when watching him in Succession.

As JV says, context and nuance matter a great deal.

I genuinely had no idea that the bloke in short-circuit was not Indian. You learn something new every day?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It isn’t the same but if people genuinely felt offended by it racially then they should highlight it. But if they are just bringing up to say ‘why can they do this but we can’t do this’ then it’s pretty lame. 

In Monchi we trust.

How could anyone possibly feel genuinely racially offended by it? As you said, the only ones who would say something like this would be right-wing Representatives for Wellingborough trying to score a point because they'd been told off for racism before. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wasn’t it a film about a white guy that did black face to get more roles ? They could hardly use a black guy for that role! 

Have you seen the film 'Watermelon Man'? 

Godfrey Cambridge plays the role of Jeff Gerber in whiteface for the first few minutes of the film, and then goes without the makeup when his character changes into a black man. Before Van Peebles had come into the project, the studio had told him that they were planning to cast a white actor like Alan Arkin or Jack Lemmon to play the part. Van Peebles suggested that they cast a black actor instead.

• Like 1

Â