Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Although we differ on choice of captain. I prefer a Mortimer type skipper. Someone who inspires his teammates by the sheer commitment and belief he brings on the pitch. That,  "we are never beaten attitude".

I agree....but we haven't got one of them imo.....we had an Andy Gray and Peter Withe type up front too....but we don't seem to sign them, anymore.

Tyrone, seems the closest to them, in the squad.

Edited by TRO

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree....but we haven't got one of them imo.....we had an Andy Gray and Peter Withe type up front too....but we don't seem to sign them, anymore.

Tyrone, seems the closest to them, in the squad.

Those players wouldn’t work in todays game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

Those players wouldn’t work in todays game. 

The game was different, the fitness and athleticism, was different......but the mental attitude wasn't.

Those players exist in Todays game, in terms of temperament and attitude/fortitude, and mental approach.

Aggression, is not a time dictated phenomenon, nor is will or drive....they have been around since the year dot.....and they play a huge part in our fortunes.

don't get confused, with the modern game, syndrome.....whilst there has been a catalogue of changes, over the years, fundaments of the game, continue through time, if one cares to look.

Edited by TRO

Mings is far from prefect, but he's definitely the best fit centre back we have.  He's also more of a leader than anyone else we have in the outfield. Young is the only other option but he should only be playing when injury necessitates. Which leaves Martinez.  Either Mings or Martinez would be great options. Maybe Carlos when he gets back from injury but haven't seen enough of him to know. 

As an aside...How Maguire gets in anyone’s world cup team is beyond me.  He's played 2 games for United in the last 2 months. And the last 3 games he's played for England he's been terrible. If you're dropping some people because they haven't played enough or haven't played well enough he tops both of those lists. Bizarre.

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Mings is far from prefect, but he's definitely the best fit centre back we have.  He's also more of a leader than anyone else we have in the outfield. Young is the only other option but he should only be playing when injury necessitates. Which leaves Martinez.  Either Mings or Martinez would be great options. Maybe Carlos when he gets back from injury but haven't seen enough of him to know. 

As an aside...How Maguire gets in anyone’s world cup team is beyond me.  He's played 2 games for United in the last 2 months. And the last 3 games he's played for England he's been terrible. If you're dropping some people because they haven't played enough or haven't played well enough he tops both of those lists. Bizarre.

Don't see him having much of a future under Unai.

But if he can prove me wrong I'd be delighted. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

im sure southgate said something along the lines of it being based on what he had done for england in the past, which is the usual hypocritical nonsense from him

maguire is there because of what he did in 2018 but he dropped mings who has a pretty damn good england record because of his club form

and then like i said on top of all of that England's defence has been a shambles in the last year (funnily enough since mings got dropped...) he will have to tweak it because of the James injury and i think white should come in but it will still be more or less the same squad that conceded 11 in the last 8 games winning just 2 of them (both friendlies) and 2 clean sheers whereas they've conceded 3 goals in mings' 17 caps with 14 clean sheets, you can say what you like about the header vs chelsea but the swing in stats for england since he's dropped is shocking, southgate has completely broken the defence this year

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

im sure southgate said something along the lines of it being based on what he had done for england in the past, which is the usual hypocritical nonsense from him

maguire is there because of what he did in 2018 but he dropped mings who has a pretty damn good england record because of his club form

and then like i said on top of all of that England's defence has been a shambles in the last year (funnily enough since mings got dropped...) he will have to tweak it because of the James injury and i think white should come in but it will still be more or less the same squad that conceded 11 in the last 8 games winning just 2 of them (both friendlies) and 2 clean sheers whereas they've conceded 3 goals in mings' 17 caps with 14 clean sheets, you can say what you like about the header vs chelsea but the swing in stats for england since he's dropped is shocking, southgate has completely broken the defence this year

Many things annoy me about Southgate but that's right up there - he never talks straight.

7 hours ago, Thug said:

Thanks.

And Ross **** Turnbull has a Champions league, an Europa league and two FA cups.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I agree with your point that you can be a great player and not "achieve anything" in terms of winning because of who your teammates are. Just pointing out that McGrath did win a few things...

Turnbull is a bad comparison. McGrath actually played in those cup finals.

11 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

But you don’t think that’s something Mings can adjust to?

Exactly. I don’t think Mings is particularly bad on the ball. He hoofs it a lot because there is rarely any movement infront of him. 

54 minutes ago, TomC said:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I agree with your point that you can be a great player and not "achieve anything" in terms of winning because of who your teammates are. Just pointing out that McGrath did win a few things...

Turnbull is a bad comparison. McGrath actually played in those cup finals.

No, I wasn’t suggesting you were trying to be sarcastic.  That was a genuine ‘thank you’. 

Turnbull is the perfect example of the pointlessness of the whole ‘achieved’ argument.  He has more ‘achievements’ than Paul McGrath, and he hardly even played.

There’s loads of other examples in any case,  Jesper Blomqvist has a champions league to his name.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Exactly. I don’t think Mings is particularly bad on the ball. He hoofs it a lot because there is rarely any movement infront of him. 

He is fine on the ball, not elite but not some clogger as people think. Problem is that he has nearly always been designated the ball playing centre back here except when paired with Chambers so his mistakes are magnified as we have little movement in front and his defensive partners usually dont want to engage

Â