Pre-match thread

ismail-villa

Bony up against our defence worries me and Routledge and Dyer will also pose a threat out wide.

I'd look to put Bree to right back and Revan in at centre back.  Or at worst we need to ensure our back line and especially fullbacks have more help so maybe go with Adomah and El Ghazi as the wide forwards as they will help out more defensively and still provide a threat going forward.

We haven't won in three games and we desperately need to get our season back on track here. I can always see us scoring but we will also concede and it is anyone guess if for or against will win out.

• Like 1

Their stats suggest they play a much more open game at home than away.  This should suit us, so I think both teams score and we win.  But our defence is making me more and more nervous as the weeks go by.

I hate selecting this back four, and I'm someone who likes Hutton.

If he's fit, I'd play Jedinak at CB and drop Elmohamady for Bree, there, I said it. I feel sick.

----------------------------------Nyland----------------------------------

Elmohady-----------Bree-------------Chester----------Hutton

----------------------------------Whelan---------------------------------

------------------------McGinn----------Hourihane----------------

El Ghazi-------------------------------------------------------Bolasie

----------------------------------Abraham------------------------------

subs

Bunn, Revan, Bjaranson, Hogan, Adomah, Kodjia, Davis

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Bony up against our defence worries me and Routledge and Dyer will also pose a threat out wide.

I'd look to put Bree to right back and Revan in at centre back.  Or at worst we need to ensure our back line and especially fullbacks have more help so maybe go with Adomah and El Ghazi as the wide forwards as they will help out more defensively and still provide a threat going forward.

We haven't won in three games and we desperately need to get our season back on track here. I can always see us scoring but we will also concede and it is anyone guess if for or against will win out.

Can only echo this, I think Revan is ready

39 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Can only echo this, I think Revan is ready

I got to be honest I don't have a clue if he is ready or not. Like @OutByEaster? has said if fit I'd play Jedinak but can't see him being fit. Revan has been in the first team squad now for the last month or so therefore I'd imagine of the young defenders we have he is the one the first team coaching staff rate the highest. I'd also like to think Terry has been working closely with him. 

Revan playing would also allow Bree to go to right back which defensively should be an upgrade on Elmo who has had a nightmare last couple of games.

• Like 2

For me, I think Revan is the one in the first team squad because he's left footed. I worry about his size and I don't think he's ready yet. I think Bree did okay at CB, although he and Chester together are too small. It's a bad situation at the back - we're TINA right across the back line.

Thankfully Bjarnason is back in midfield where we at least have one option now.

• Like 1

Nothing much to add to what has already been said.

Selecting a competitive defence is just so difficult right now. 

Assuming all 'defenders' are fit except Tuanzebe who we know is certainly missing, I would probably go for;

Hutton   Chester     Jedinak     Taylor 

More for familiarity than anything else. 

I haven't seen anything of Revan so cant really consider him, though others on here do rate him and Smith must do to an extent putting him on the bench recently. Elmo (who is usually steady and reliable) has put in two shocking performances so deserves to be left out. I would put Hutton ahead of Bree at RB purely based on experience but even as I am typing, I could argue that this aint the answer ! 😂

Whoever he picks I could probably argue a case for and against. 

So, with all that said 0-0 and a defensive masterclass by both teams....

Not really 3-4 VILLA! HAPPY CHRISTMAS! 😃 

• Like 1

On 24/12/2018 at 15:49, OutByEaster? said:

For me, I think Revan is the one in the first team squad because he's left footed. I worry about his size and I don't think he's ready yet. I think Bree did okay at CB, although he and Chester together are too small. It's a bad situation at the back - we're TINA right across the back line.

giphy.webp

• Haha 1

On 24/12/2018 at 15:49, OutByEaster? said:

For me, I think Revan is the one in the first team squad because he's left footed. I worry about his size and I don't think he's ready yet. I think Bree did okay at CB, although he and Chester together are too small. It's a bad situation at the back - we're TINA right across the back line.

I don't know what to make of Bree if im honest. You look at Leeds young fellas when they get a start, they look like they want to grab the chance to impress and are well up for it. He's just so passive. Nothing stands out with him. Elmo did him no favours first goal, but he has to get out to Clarke quicker than that.

• Like 1