Racism in Football

Zatman

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Honestly I think you and many other people in this thread just subscribe to @Stevo985's views that intention is the only thing that matters. If you do literally anything intended to be anti-racist then anyone that disagrees with you is a racist, and you don't need to engage with their views. It's a stupid mindset that falls down as soon as you think about it for more than 5 seconds, but there you go. I think it's best if I leave you guys to it.

That is a stupid mindset. Luckily literally nobody is saying that. So it's cool.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Kneeling was done by Colin Kaepernick in the NFL in 2016, In 2019 the rules were changed so players had to either stand on the pitch or remain in the dressing room for the anthem. Kneeling didn't become widespread until 2020 when there were massive marches in support of BLM after George Floyd's death, when millions of BLM supporters started taking the knee in support of BLM. Remember, prior to this it had only (recently) been done by a few athletes in the NFL and they were no longer doing it. It's definitely not a fringe viewpoint that kneeling as a gesture is linked to BLM. Putting the words BLACK LIVES MATTER on your football shirt also serves to link kneeling to BLM in my opinion.

Yes, I've also said that how other people percieve your actions and words is just as important as what the intention behind them is. If that makes me as bad as the people booing the players at football matches, so be it. It's also a core tenant of modern anti-racist theory, but whatever.

Honestly I think you and many other people in this thread just subscribe to @Stevo985's views that intention is the only thing that matters. If you do literally anything intended to be anti-racist then anyone that disagrees with you is a racist, and you don't need to engage with their views. It's a stupid mindset that falls down as soon as you think about it for more than 5 seconds, but there you go. I think it's best if I leave you guys to it.

at the end of the day, it's not just people on this thread...its the vast majority and the 99% of the 10k at villa park applauding, totally drowning out the boos in addition to the widespread condemnation by the media has proven that.

this is a battle that those booing will not win...the kneeling will continue, like it or not.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Kneeling was done by Colin Kaepernick in the NFL in 2016, In 2019 the rules were changed so players had to either stand on the pitch or remain in the dressing room for the anthem. Kneeling didn't become widespread until 2020 when there were massive marches in support of BLM after George Floyd's death, when millions of BLM supporters started taking the knee in support of BLM. Remember, prior to this it had only (recently) been done by a few athletes in the NFL and they were no longer doing it. It's definitely not a fringe viewpoint that kneeling as a gesture is linked to BLM. Putting the words BLACK LIVES MATTER on your football shirt also serves to link kneeling to BLM in my opinion.

Yes, I've also said that how other people percieve your actions and words is just as important as what the intention behind them is. If that makes me as bad as the people booing the players at football matches, so be it. It's also a core tenant of modern anti-racist theory, but whatever.

It’s only a stupid mindset if you’re a racist.

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

please provide evidence of the BLM organisation being the originators of the taking of the knee gesture...i've not seen this

this referenced the BLM movement, not the organisation. 2 different things.

stopping taking the knee means those booing will win. this is not going to happen. at VP for the chelsea game a small group booed...they were quickly drowned out with applause. they are very much in the minority and they will not win. the day will come when directors identify them in the crowd and their faces will be plastered across papers and the internet. jobs will be lost.

these racist pricks will lose this battle, i guarantee it.

Why is it so darn important to take the knee?

They could wear t shirts before the game which said "There is no room for Racism" or "Let's kick racism out of football"

It would carry the same message, you would have all the fans on side and you stop accociating yourself with BLM.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why should me or you decide what they should do? 

If the players want to take a knee because they think it's the best message then let them do it

If you want to interpret that gesture incorrectly thats up to you

If you purposefully want to associate the gesture to something that has repeatedly been denied and explained then that's also up to you 

Not sure why they should change what they're doing to placate people who aren't going to listen regardless 

I'm not deciding what they should do, just coming up with a reasonable asuggestion or alternative that would make the booing stop and would carry the same message.

Most people associate taking the knee with BLM there is no way around it. Just like the swastika being associated with the Nazi party despite it having it's origins somewhere else.

Edited by villalad21

I'd love nothing more than to put a booer or two from VP in to a room with Mings to explain to him that he's supporting Marxism and should protest in a way that would be less controversial.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not deciding what they should do, just coming up with a reasonable asuggestion or alternative that would make the booing stop and would carry the same message.

Most people associate taking the knee with BLM there is no way around it. Just like the swastika being associated with the Nazi party despite it having it's origins somewhere else.

not true.....

29 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They could wear t shirts before the game which said "There is no room for Racism" or "Let's kick racism out of football"

It would carry the same message, you would have all the fans on side and you stop accociating yourself with BLM.

Because **** idiots are booing it. If it hadn’t been booed, the energy in the protest would have dissipated and they’d have stopped. Zaha said he was stopping because it felt an empty gesture, something I agreed with. That people are booing them shows they need to continue.

They’re not associating themselves with BLMGN, you and the boo boys are. **** the fans if they don’t want to get on their side, they’re choosing the knee and telling you what it means.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Excellent analogy.

autorickshaw.jpg

HEY HINDUS, **** BOOOOOOOOOOO YOU NAZIS, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

49 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I assume you're ignoring my posts but I'll try again.

It wasn't important to take the knee. It could have been any gesture.

But they CHOSE to take the knee as their gesture. It is now getting booed. THAT alone is the reason to keep doing it. Changing it would be giving the racists what they want.

If they'd chosen to hold hands instead then racists would have made something up about how that is communist or something and they'd be booing that instead.

It's not about the knee. It's about what it represents. And anyone who claims it's because of marxism or whatever is just deflecting their racism

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I assume you're ignoring my posts but I'll try again.

It wasn't important to take the knee. It could have been any gesture.

But they CHOSE to take the knee as their gesture. It is now getting booed. THAT alone is the reason to keep doing it. Changing it would be giving the racists what they want.

If they'd chosen to hold hands instead then racists would have made something up about how that is communist or something and they'd be booing that instead.

It's not about the knee. It's about what it represents. And anyone who claims it's because of marxism or whatever is just deflecting their racism

Seem a bit counter productive. 

All you are achieving by persisting with this is making things worse not better. 

We can all be on different sides, worsening the relationship between players and fans or we can try to find a middle ground we can all be content with. 

I want to try to find a better alternative which will stop the booing and at the same time not remove the message. 

Â