Movies of the Year 2018

Designer1

7 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

3 Billboards was absolutely phenomenal

Yes, superb film. I watched it not knowing who directed it and thought it was the Cohen’s best effort yet, but it wasn’t them at all. 

On 10/12/2018 at 23:24, Designer1 said:

Because I watched all 3 at the end of 2017 via erm...other means, I'd got it in my head that Shape of Water, 3 Billboards and Ladybird were all 2017 UK releases. Schoolboy error, as they would definitely have been on my list.

Shape of water. Yes, that’s another belter. I don’t see that many films, but like that people who do and have good critical skills, like you do, point out good ones. Cheers Si. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2018 at 21:43, Stevo985 said:

If "3 Billboards..." counts as a 2018 release then that's my Film of the Year, no doubt.

I agree, the best film I saw this year but I didn't watch many. 3 Billboards was good

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2018 at 23:15, choffer said:

A late entry but forget 2018, this probably makes it onto my list of favourite movies ever. 

IArDu8v.jpg

HDS was a wonderful actor and an incredible man. One of the reviews for this suggests that his character in Paris, Texas (probably my favourite movie of all time) might well have aged into the character he plays in this. I'm in.

• Like 2

'I saw 22 movies that received a UK cinema release in 2017, and I have to say not one of them was terrible'

That was how I started last year's summary; by comparison, 2018 was pretty fallow. I saw 14 films that got a cinema release in 2018, and two of them were genuinely shit (Game Night, Thoroughbreds), while two were extremely mediocre (The 15:17 To Paris, The Commuter). So I guess it didn't take too much to get into my top ten then, which in reverse order are:

10) All The Money In The World

9) The Meg

8 ) Downsizing

7) I, Tonya

6) A Quiet Place

5) BlacKKKlansman

4)Three Billboards . . .

3) A Cambodian Spring

2) Isle Of Dogs

1) The Square

Not much to choose between the top three. A Cambodian Spring was a fantastic documentary, fascinating and enraging and a really useful window into the country. Isle Of Dogs was the most fun, and had the best soundtrack. The Square was prestige, but it was probably the most complete experience of all of them, even if its target was a bit obvious. 

Last year I named nine movies I wished I had seen in 2017, but hadn't. One year later, I managed precisely one of them, 'The Florida Project', which if it had been released in 2018 would easily have been the film of this year. It was fantastic! And on that note:

Honourable, Inelligible mentions: 'The Clock', currently showing at Tate Modern - made in 2010 and not a feature film, but I watched it for more than two hours and would have watched many, many more if my wife hadn't got bored - will try to go again before it leaves on January 20th; 'The Hymns of Muscovy' - a short film consisting of travelling shots of Moscow, filmed upside down, to a great soundtrack, which was easily better than 60% of my top 10 above; 'Ava', a fascinating coming-of-age story of a French teenage who has a degenerative sight condition and goes a bit Bonnie and Clyde, which sadly never got a UK cinema release; and the best two films I saw all year, 'The Florida Project' (2017) and 'Potiche' (2010) which I had never seen before. 

• Like 1

I think I've seen 4 movies from this year. Wait, was Murder on the orient express from 2018? In that case it's 5. So my top 5 is probably not very hard to pick, nor very surprising:

1) Bohemian Rhapsody

2) A star is born

3) Grindewald

4) Orient express

5) Lyrro (Swedish comedy that wasn't very funny)

Â