Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

1 minute ago, KHV said:

I'm assuming he means a 4-4-2

I think we would struggle to play a 4-4-2 with Kodjia and Abraham up front with wide men. I think it would be to unbalanced. If we wanted to  play with two up top, I think we'd need to go with a 4-1-3-2 with Bjarnason, Hourihane, Grealish and McGinn but with no wingers - no two of those four have ability to win the middle of the park on their own imo and our wide men aren't the sort that work hard enough to help - we don't really have wide midfielders, we have wingers; they're attacking players first and foremost - a 4-4-2 with Bolasie and another of our wide men would be a 4-2-4.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we would struggle to play a 4-4-2 with Kodjia and Abraham up front with wide men. I think it would be to unbalanced. If we wanted to  play with two up top, I think we'd need to go with a 4-1-3-2 with Bjarnason, Hourihane, Grealish and McGinn but with no wingers - no two of those four have ability to win the middle of the park on their own imo and our wide men aren't the sort that work hard enough to help - we don't really have wide midfielders, we have wingers; they're attacking players first and foremost - a 4-4-2 with Bolasie and another of our wide men would be a 4-2-4.

So do I, to be honest I'm struggling to come up with any formation that's ideal for us. As I have said before, I don't think McGinn and Grealish work in the same team. I think McGinn was bought in to replace Grealish and Bruce and now Smith are trying to compensate both in the starting XI. I would probably go with McGinn, Bjarnasson and Hourihane in the middle of the park.

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it will work to be honest as long as you have a solid an like jedinak/whelan/bjarnason 

Kodjia on the wing doesn't work for me. He gets too frustrated and loses the ball too much

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it will work to be honest as long as you have a solid an like jedinak/whelan/bjarnason 

Kodjia on the wing doesn't work for me. He gets too frustrated and loses the ball too much

Wouldn't playing two of those mean you'd have to drop both Grealish and McGinn?

I'd go 4-3-3

Give Bolasie a start and tell him he's got an hour until Elmo replaces him.  Bust a gut for an hour Yannick, terrorise their fullback and keep them on the back foot.

Albert is out and I don't think we can risk going with both Bolasie and El-Ghazi on the pitch from a defensive point of view so I'd stick Jack there.  I know what people are going to say but personally, so long as it's more of an inside forward role rather than running the line, I don’t see why there’s a problem with him playing there.  Look at how Hazard plays that position, that's who Jack should be watching week in week out and trying to emulate.  I'm surprised Smith hasn't deployed him there already as it suits his style of play more than an out and out winger.  Also they have Rangel at right back and that fella is a red card waiting to happen sometimes, Jack will frustrate him and if anything we’ll win a few free kicks out of him.

A midfield 3 of Connor, Jedi and McGinn are the best to start with IMO.  Jedi helps nullify the aerial threat of Tomer Hemed, plus he could drop deep at times to create a back three, allowing our fullbacks a bit more license to attack.  Bjarnasson is then an option to bring on in the second half when we need some extra energy in midfield.

I think Bree deserves a chance at RB, plus he’ll add fresh legs.  Other than that the defence picks itself.

Lastly Moriera in goal.  I’m not confident about him, but Nyland’s confidence is shot to pieces and with the crowd being so close to the pitch, I can see him being intimidated by the atmosphere in the stadium and dropping another clanger.

lineup.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wouldn't playing two of those mean you'd have to drop both Grealish and McGinn?

No I would either play grealish on the right or not play him. Let's be honest grealish has been poor. One assist all season is not good enough. Don't get me started on his set pieces either. It's as bad as Ashley Westwood were.

Dem, so you'd go with:

---------------------------Kodjia----------Abraham--------------------

Bolasie--------------------------------------------------------Grealish

-----------------------Bjarnason-------Jedinak-----------------------

It's an interesting line up - I think it'd have a chance of working in a long ball situation or one where we're knocking the ball into the corners and trying to get crosses in. It just doesn't seem very Smith. Personally I'd play one up top, but if we needed two I'd put Grealish, Hourihane and McGinn in the middle of the park with Bjarnason behind them and ask the full backs to supply width.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Dem, so you'd go with:

---------------------------Kodjia----------Abraham--------------------

Bolasie--------------------------------------------------------Grealish

-----------------------Bjarnason-------Jedinak-----------------------

It's an interesting line up - I think it'd have a chance of working in a long ball situation or one where we're knocking the ball into the corners and trying to get crosses in. It just doesn't seem very Smith. Personally I'd play one up top, but if we needed two I'd put Grealish, Hourihane and McGinn in the middle of the park with Bjarnason behind them and ask the full backs to supply width.

It's harsh on mcginn but defensively it makes us damn better and helps the defence.  I'm not sure sof mcginn could play in the position grealish there but If he can

I would actually go with a midfield of:

Bjarnasson McGinn

Elmo    O'Hare    Bolasie

Give O'Hare a 60 minute run out behind Abraham to see what he can do. Rest Jack as he's played two games in 6 days, but bring him on for the last half hour when QPR are tired.

Bjarnasson and McGinn are both fresh and will work hard in the press.

On 24/10/2018 at 16:59, TheAuthority said:

It is depressing. But we have to keep the faith in this guy. 

The Bruce/Allardyce route was ultimately a dead end. Smith needs time.

??

So now we are blaming Allerdyce for Bruces failure? The guy has never failed in any job he's been in and even got the England job and remains the only manager with a 100% win record. Yet his management style was a dead end for a job he never had. Heard it all now! 

Think Deano might mix it up a bit tonight, 3 games in 6 days might come down to which side is fresher out of the 2. Can see Bree coming in for Hutton, and starts for Bolasie and Kodjia. BB should come back in after a rest Tuesday along with McGinn. 

I think a mix up could do the players good, show them that no one is above the team and reputations count for nothing. I would probably go like this, not ideal, but I think we’d win.

Moreira (?)

Hutton    Tuanzebe      Chester     Taylor

Thor

Ballasie     McGinn      Grealish     Kodjia    

Tammy

Maybe Bree instead of Hutton? 

Edited by alreadyexists