Dean Smith

Demitri_C

The biggest issue Smith has is resolving the defence and overall squad balance in time to make a meaningful attempt at challenging for promotion.

We have an embarrassment of riches in midfield and attack and I firmly believe it won't take him long to start getting us playing in a way that gets the best out of that talent, even if we just get a 'new manager' kick on that gets us heading in the right direction.

But as many have said it could well be that progress is made slowly and this season proves to soon for promotion.

It's easy to say that when deep down results do matter above all else, but for me personally if I can see a team at least attempting to play progressive football in formations/positions that make sense that will go a long way, even if it does mean that we don't always win.

I don't think the players are broken, I don't think that Bruce has run the team into the ground, we are not in crisis, much as i am glad he is gone I still respect what he did for us.

21 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

The biggest issue Smith has is resolving the defence and overall squad balance in time to make a meaningful attempt at challenging for promotion.

We have an embarrassment of riches in midfield and attack and I firmly believe it won't take him long to start getting us playing in a way that gets the best out of that talent, even if we just get a 'new manager' kick on that gets us heading in the right direction.

But as many have said it could well be that progress is made slowly and this season proves to soon for promotion.

It's easy to say that when deep down results do matter above all else, but for me personally if I can see a team at least attempting to play progressive football in formations/positions that make sense that will go a long way, even if it does mean that we don't always win.

I don't think the players are broken, I don't think that Bruce has run the team into the ground, we are not in crisis, much as i am glad he is gone I still respect what he did for us.

I think he has left us worse than he found us. Not sure what you think he achieved, apart from wasting two years.

• Like 4

It's ludicrous the lopsided squad Bruce has left us with.

Wingers: Al Ghazi, Bloasie, Adomah, (Kodjia)

CM: McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane, Jedinak, Whealan, Thor, Lansbury.

11 players for maybe five places.

CB 1 player for 2 places.

RB 4 players for 1 place.

I regret giving Bruce the summer now obvs.

EDIT: I know this has been done.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Will we expect a win at Swansea? I will, lose to them an a few will start making there minds up already. Lose big and we will wonder what we have let ourselves in for. This is how is works yeah??

I'm expecting nothing and hoping for the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

It's ludicrous the lopsided squad Bruce has left us with.

Wingers: Al Ghazi, Bloasie, Adomah, (Kodjia)

CM: McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane, Jedinak, Whealan, Thor, Lansbury.

11 players for maybe five places.

CB 1 player for 2 places.

RB 4 players for 1 place.

I regret giving Bruce the summer now obvs.

EDIT: I know this has been done.

We also have 3 players in Elphick, Clark and Suliman who can play CB out on loan :crylaugh:

Not saying they'd be great options, but still.

Will we expect a win at Swansea? I will, lose to them an a few will start making there minds up already. Lose big and we will wonder what we have let ourselves in for. This is how is works yeah??

Is this serious?

Maybe I should have bolded all of it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Spot on . Also seen Smith say in that Nike academy video knocking around that he looks at the technical ability of the player ahead of their size so you'd imagine o'hare should be involved. I don't think he's going to have to have too many training sessions to know that jedinak and whelan aren't up to it with the way he wants the game played. My only concern is that he doesn't pander to players who come with bigger repuations but not exactly what he is looking for on a pitch, like the 2 aforementioned. Hope he sticks to his principles. 

er...... He doesn't strike me as a shrinking Violet.

He also has JT to have a quiet word.

Richard O'Kelly looks like a human Jack Russell, don't think he will be ****** about either.

no worries there for me.

5 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Is this serious?

Maybe I should have bolded all of it.

I'm willing to wait for the wins, but if we lost 4-0 or something it would make a few think?

In my opinion I think many of the loses/draws with Bruce were just from loss of drive from the players an the manager. I think against Swansea if not a win, we should see an improvement almost straight away.

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This is also where the 'one of our own' thing comes in. Being a known Villa fan has no relevance to how good a Villa boss he may turn out to be, but it might buy him a bit more tolerance from the fanbase. 

Have you taken a look at the Grealish thread lately? Being a known Villa fan doesn’t seem to do a player any favours so I’m not sure it will help a manager for long. I think it will give a great atmosphere in his first game or two, but it will be on him to build on this.

Generally I agree he needs time for real change but also I think this squad should make the playoffs (and think it will).

32 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I think he has left us worse than he found us. Not sure what you think he achieved, apart from wasting two years.

when he joined, the club was still in a slate of decline and morale, confidence still was low. I think he dealt with a truly toxic situation.

doesn't mean i think he didn't waste time and make a lot of bad decisions, just trying to be balanced and state that we are not broken and not everything Bruce did was bad.

• Like 2

Percy with a bit more of an insight into the Smith and Terry relationship. Terry will be a good ally for Smith, and will make a good coach imo. I’m feeling very positive for the changes happening at the club right now. 

I really feel the players will buy into the new philosophy. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm willing to wait for the wins, but if we lost 4-0 or something it would make a few think?

In my opinion I think many of the loses/draws with Bruce were just from loss of drive from the players an the manager. I think against Swansea if not a win, we should see an improvement almost straight away.

I think that is right.

but how that manifests itself during the first game, i have no idea.

just remember, we can make our minds up anytime we like, but we have to live with the burden of negative thoughts.....It is much better for personal sanity and to avoid frustration, by giving the guys time to implement their methods.

I look forward to another season or 2 in the Championship then.

It might well be that but that’s not due to Dean, thats due to mess he’s inherited from Bruce. 

Dean will try and implement his philosophy on the squad and you never know, but he can’t be deemed a failure until he’s had an opportunity to get his players in playing his way.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I don't get why this conversation is happening tbh.

We have a new manager. Anyone thinking we or anyone else isn't capable of losing to Swansea doesn't know football. The bigger picture is what happens over the next weeks, months, and years hopefully—only time will tell regardless, not one game against Swansea. We haven't even had the first game yet, I'm not sure I could imagine a more negative outlook than what I've just read.

EDIT: For the record, I am hopeful we improve with Dean Smith and that our improvement leads to us climbing the table and getting to where we need to be. I am hopeful of that happening in decent time. I'm willing to watch what happens.

We are still capable of losing to Swansea though. I hope we don't. I hope we show an improvement in that very game.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Â