Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Pleased with what's happened since his arrival.

Confident that he can get us there but yet to be seen if he can develop a promotion push.

Conversation about how we would fare in the Premier League is a bit premature considering he's only just arrived here.

The only comment I have to make on that subject is that, in my opinion, we will see better quality football under Smith than we did Bruce. If results are also favourable and we better our standing from last season by gaining promotion then we as a club should be fairly pleased.

Benitez has won one game this season after 11 matches with Newcastle. Howe has kicked on and established his team in the top flight for the time being. There are no guarantees though and it's competitive from mid table down, Wolves are only 3 wins clear of the drop, with 27 games to go. I even watched Mourinho's United get beaten by West Ham, the same West Ham which Snodgrass has started for this season. So we are not so far from that level, it's a step up, without a doubt, but it's not an insurmountable challenge.

One thing I would be confident about going up is that we will attract the talent. Even more so if we go up playing a good brand of football.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

*Reads Post*

*Shakes head*

*Looks at posters name* 

*Remembers previous posts by same poster* 

*Shrugs, walks away laughing*

** Reads post**

** Shakes head**

**Looks at posters name**

**Remenbers previous post by same poster*

**Shrugs, walks away laughing**

**Wonders what he's been smoking?**

14 hours ago, villa89 said:

He's already done enough to show the Bruce was out of his depth here and should have been sacked a long time ago. It's not going to be perfect but the simple plan of getting the ball down and passing will reap far better dividends than Bruce could ever deliver.

Exactly this.

I seen more progress in one game against Bolton than I had under Bruce this season.

It's all slowly coming together and hopefully if we can squeeze in a bit of consistency results wise then it's gonna be a very good season despite our horrid start and the mess of a team DS inherited.

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watched Neil Cutler's interview, also comes across as very calm and intelligent, gives some good insight into Dean Smith and the huge part psychology plays in his coaching methods.

Seriously liking this coaching team right now.

Everyone really seems to talk about Smith highly. Sounds cheesy but I think our coach could be a student of the beautiful game and we’ve had so many average or poor managers over the years that it’s hard for us to accept this time it could be different. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wow 130 pages, I'd have to read 60 pages to catch up.... Anyone keen to summarise?

Majority love Smith and his refreshing approach to games but accept it will take time, new players, and an improved or new goalie to really push on. 

A small minority are very sceptical and think the job is too big for him. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Exactly this.

I seen more progress in one game against Bolton than I had under Bruce this season.

It's all slowly coming together and hopefully if we can squeeze in a bit of consistency results wise then it's gonna be a very good season despite our horrid start and the mess of a team DS inherited.

Bolton was probably our worst performance until the second goal went in. We were utter crap between the 1st and 2nd goals

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Bolton was probably our worst performance until the second goal went in. We were utter crap between the 1st and 2nd goals

I seen signs of improvement in areas more than I have this season under SB in terms of how we should be playing etc.

We see games differently chap. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I seen signs of improvement in areas more than I have this season under SB in terms of how we should be playing etc.

We see games differently chap. ;)

There were more encouraging signs in the Swansea, Norwich and QPR games. I was surprised by how awful we were against Bolton, I don't think the Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish experiment worked at all.

1 minute ago, KHV said:

There were more encouraging signs in the Swansea, Norwich and QPR games. I was surprised by how awful we were against Bolton, I don't think the Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish experiment worked at all.

Do you think a few more games together it might all start coming together consistantly though?

Continue progressing, settling, ironing out mistakes, working on other bits and pieces etc.

If we can keep winning while playing shit then il be even happier when we do evenrually click. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Majority love Smith and his refreshing approach to games but accept it will take time, new players, and an improved or new goalie to really push on

Funnily enough in Neil Cutlers interview, he seemed to think Nyland had all the attributes to be a top keeper. with some coaching.

Then again he wasn't going to say he was useless was he? lol

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Do you think a few more games together it might all start coming together consistantly though? 

Continue progressing, settling, ironing out mistakes, working on other bits and pieces etc.

If we can keep winning while playing shit then il be even happier when we do evenrually click. 

Not with this back 4 and unbalanced midfield. I think results will continue to be patchy. I think the GK position is a real concern, we are weak in the fullback area and pretty weak in midfield. I don't think Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish work together, Bjarnasson is very limited, Lansbury is atrocious, Jedinak is getting on as is Whelan.

I actually think Whelan, McGinn and Grealish is probably the best trio fr the middle.

Whilst we look better with the ball under Smith, as soon as we lose possession we are all over the shop. We are probably one the worst teams in the division without the ball

Our next 9 games are: Rams(a), SHA(h), Forest(h), Boro(a), Baggies(a), Stoke(h), Leeds(h), Swans(a), PNE(a).

If we are to mount a challenge for promotion on any level this season then we ideally want to be aiming to collect 21pts from the potential 27pts available in these fixtures. They are by means easy games in this run so we will need to be on song.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Majority love Smith and his refreshing approach to games but accept it will take time, new players, and an improved or new goalie to really push on. 

May as well make this reply a sticky, it will be the same for the next manager, the one after that, and then pep!

Edited by Nigel

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Our next 9 games are: Rams(a), SHA(h), Forest(h), Boro(a), Baggies(a), Stoke(h), Leeds(h), Swans(a), PNE(a).

If we are to mount a challenge for promotion on any level this season then we ideally want to be aiming to collect 21pts from the potential 27pts available in these fixtures. They are by means easy games in this run so we will need to be on song.

I reckon 11 points from that lot

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Not with this back 4 and unbalanced midfield. I think results will continue to be patchy. I think the GK position is a real concern, we are weak in the fullback area and pretty weak in midfield. I don't think Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish work together, Bjarnasson is very limited, Lansbury is atrocious, Jedinak is getting on as is Whelan.

I actually think Whelan, McGinn and Grealish is probably the best trio fr the middle.

Whilst we look better with the ball under Smith, as soon as we lose possession we are all over the shop. We are probably one the worst teams in the division without the ball

Our back four needs to strengthen that's for sure, in the meantime I would revert Hutton back to LB and play Elmo at RB, withJC & AT being our CB's.

I know AH is a natural RB but what I seen of him at LB he is far more effective than being at RB imo, and far more effective at LB than Taylor and his performances at LB last season earned him a new 1yr contract.

As for the midfield it is a difficult one to solve really having so many good options and how to implement the correct balance to be most effective.

Â