Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Not saying that 100%  right by the way, just the feeling I get from a few bits i hear,

Smith is a very good coach as he has shown at Brentford but he was working with a competent recruitment team who brought in a convener belt of talents that he improved and they took on to another level - It just hasn't worked with Villa for various reasons and I cant help but think if we had ended up with Phillips/Benrama/Maupy we would be in a better position than with Marvelous/Trez/Wesley

Edited by cb_82

Is there even one player in the squad who would be suited to how Dyche likes to play?

We gotta bring a manager suited to the type of players we have, we wont be able to do a total squad swap (even if we'd like to).

Think Dyche would be a bad fit. Not the way to go.

Edited by sne

9 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

This.....

They will be the ones losing millions in cash , more fool them then 🤣

Of course purslow is not going to publically say in lockdown one game and he’s gone - there comes a tipping point with most managers and I doubt very much purslow would stick with him because he’s dean smith - in fact I think smith will never get anywhere near a decent  club  again once he’s gone from here 

Edited by Eastie

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

See thing is, even if Deano keeps us up.

I'm now concerned about if next season would just be more of the same, with slightly better players.

For example, some peoples arguments are that all the players are crap. Say we get 3 - 4 very good players to replace those. What happens if one or two are injured? Or out of form? Or just having a bad day, or not suited to the opposition? Or a tactical tweak is needed to get the best our of them?

It now appears he is extremely stubborn, PLAN A or bust (These days i struggle to even know what Plan A is), most of the time he is brave it is due to being forced.

I'll say again, my biggest concern has become the total lack or proactivity and game management i've seen recently (As in for months).

He has literally morphed into a manager I don't recognise anymore from the one we thought we first got.

As many have said, and is obvious, the managers job is to use what he has got, to the best effect. I've now genuinely started feeling like he is actually costing us points, this obviously isn't discounting individual player errors either.

If we stay up we can bring four or five better players in and we will be improved. Instead of a 17th place finish we can target mid-table, if that works we can do the same again and target top 8 and so on

We were the 5th place team in the Championship with an aging, unbalanced and mediocre squad - The fact that Smith got us up was amazing. I’m staggered that many expected so much this season!!

I now expect us to go down but I will be very happy to give Smith the first dozen games in the Championship before joining the baying for his removal

We’ve been here so many times before - with high expectations and greener grass next door - for me it’s high time that we give someone a chance to establish themselves and build for the future. Smith wasn’t my original choice but he’s done ok and is Villa through and through

• Like 1

Just now, VillaCas said:

If we stay up we can bring four or five better players in and we will be improved. Instead of a 17th place finish we can target mid-table, if that works we can do the same again and target top 8 and so on

We were the 5th place team in the Championship with an aging, unbalanced and mediocre squad - The fact that Smith got us up was amazing. I’m staggered that many expected so much this season!!

I now expect us to go down but I will be very happy to give Smith the first dozen games in the Championship before joining the baying for his removal

We’ve been here so many times before - with high expectations and greener grass next door - for me it’s high time that we give someone a chance to establish themselves and build for the future. Smith wasn’t my original choice but he’s done ok and is Villa through and through

I could not give a toss if he’s villa through and through , I’d rather a good manager whoever he supported than a poor one who supports villa . 
yes we can improve the squad , but we also need to improve the manager 

We tend to sign managers that are not use to having a transfer budget to recruit higher quality players, I.e Lambert, Sherwood, Di Matteo, Bruce and  now Smith.

The moment they are given a budget they make poor recruitment choices.

Would Dyche be any different?

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

We tend to sign managers that are not use to having a transfer budget to recruit higher quality players, I.e Lambert, Sherwood, Di Matteo, Bruce and  now Smith.

Depends on the ambition of the owners , if ffp is suspended next season then maybe they will throw money at it and if so I’d hope for a really good appointment as manager , possibly  a continental boss as there are no brits who come to mind - if they are looking to get up and consolidate then maybe dyche is more suited to that aim . 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I could not give a toss if he’s villa through and through , I’d rather a good manager whoever he supported than a poor one who supports villa . 
yes we can improve the squad , but we also need to improve the manager 

🙄 As you obviously realise I don’t wish to keep him because he is a villa fan - I think he did an amazing job last season and I think he has done ok this considering the size of the challenge - that fact that he is a villa fan though makes me think it might mean a bit more to him.
History has proven that a constant merry go round of appointments is not the magic formula - I am happy to keep faith as I believe are the ownership

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Who honestly thought we would equalise last night? All is not lost, I have a sneaky feeling we just might make it. 

To do so smith needs to change formation - I hope he will do but doubt he will . 

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

We have people who handles that side of things. We have a head coach not a manager.

Smith is not the one in charge of transfers, neither would Dyche or anyone else coming in be.

• Like 1

Just now, VillaCas said:

🙄 As you obviously realise I don’t wish to keep him because he is a villa fan - I think he did an amazing job last season and I think he has done ok this considering the size of the challenge - that fact that he is a villa fan though makes me think it might mean a bit more to him.
History has proven that a constant merry go round of appointments is not the magic formula - I am happy to keep faith as I believe are the ownership

You are right about the merry go round , we need a manager who will stay a few years and build something - I don’t think smith is it though , he is a decent championship manager and came good with the aid of some very good players at that level last season . 

the step up has I think exposed him tactically and he seems out of ideas , it’s all too predictable .  

2 minutes ago, sne said:

We have people who handles that side of things. We have a head coach not a manager.

Smith is not the one in charge of transfers, neither would Dyche or anyone else coming in be.

Would that put off a really decent manager though ? It’s a more continental style of operating and maybe that’s the road we would look down for a new manager 

Just now, Eastie said:

Would that put off a really decent manager though ? It’s a more continental style of operating and maybe that’s the road we would look down for a new manager 

Think almost every single club outside the UK uses that model. The old manager who handles everything is long gone.

If we stay up I certainly hope we look at some of the managers in Germany.

If we go down I'm not sure I care who the manager is. My interest in football is draining fast.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TRO said:

So what you are saying, i think, is..........this team did not gain promotion, only in name only.....via the transfer market.

so it could be argued they have no right to be in this division as they haven't won promotion, just here through being transferred.....all the ones that gained promotion have largely gone.....Hmmmmm.

I think Fulham did something similar to us.....spent huge dough on players, to no avail.

under the circumstances that we were in and I accept many players had to be replaced, but would £200-250 million have been needed to have a chance.....I am curious that if £140 mill was not much, or inadequate how much did we need to have a good chance of survival?...what did the club expect?.....I don't think they expected relegation.

You see, despite the circumstances we were in, I don't think deep down anyone club,fans, thought we would be relegated.....no one came out and said £140 million, we have no chance.....we all know it would be a fight, but it has turned out much worse than we thought.....so was more money required and if so, how much would that be ?

we can all speculate, what we think should have happened, but no one can be proved right.....It is well documented, what I think.....but I also think spending north of £140 mill was pie in the sky.

Don't quite know what you're getting at with the first 2 paragraphs. The reason we had to build an entire squad is because, again, the previous manager had no long term planning. 30 something's on short contracts and loan players isn't a good recipe for the next season or the next season. 

What were you expecting, us to get promoted and line up with Whelan, jedinak and adomah in the PL? We tried to bring as many back as possible. There's nearly £40 million spent, and that wasn't even standing still on where we were before. That was us weaker and we've spent £40m. It's laughable what bad shape we were in because of previous management. A decent player for the PL costs what? I have no idea. We needed 10 more of them after this. Minimum.

And then we had to bed all the new players in and expect them to settle straight in. Every single player we signed. A whole new squad basically. I think I remember most level headed fans saying things like '17th would be the aim for the season'. The bit I'm bold is where we are at isn't it? We are in a fight, we have a chance. Level with our aim. Why are you making out like we don't have a chance? Will we do it, I doubt it. Honestly, I don't think we will. 

You've gave Bruce lots of time. You gave Smith barely any time. Smith has earnt our respect and a chance and some time because he got us promoted from nowhere. If we went down, I would 100% trust Smith to get us back up over Bruce. Proof is in the pudding. I wouldn't get rid of Smith, he's learning. He's learning on the job. He's learning about the players on the job. He's got a lot wrong. But we still have a chance. 

If we go down and we aren't challenging at the top next season, then is the time to move on. He's earnt the right. He's earnt the right to finish this season. And he's earnt the right to have a go next season and getting us back up. We cannot keep going in circles and getting rid of manager after manager. Not when we've had our most successful manager in the last 5 or 6 years at the helm.

I cant believe Smith is still with us.FFS why dont the owners try JT,I mean all he has to have is a plan and we will be better off than under Smith.He has played under some top managers,he knows the squad,he knows the back room,he knows the club.For christ sake,at least give him a try.I mean what have we got to lose now ?!

Also people keep saying that our squad is rubbish.I disagree with that.IMHO the squad is good enough for a top 10 finish and baybe even better.What they lack under DS is motovation,a plan,a formation that takes advantage of the squad and most of all saome decent leadreship off the pitch.After our last game he is raving on about Jack bieng fouled all the time,like that is the reason for our defeat.The reason we are losing all the time is because DS is not demanding more from the players ( maybe he should buy a hair drier so that he can throw it at the players,FFS dont just accept defeat just like that.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Don't quite know what you're getting at with the first 2 paragraphs. The reason we had to build an entire squad is because, again, the previous manager had no long term planning. 30 something's on short contracts and loan players isn't a good recipe for the next season or the next season. 

What were you expecting, us to get promoted and line up with Whelan, jedinak and adomah in the PL? We tried to bring as many back as possible. There's nearly £40 million spent, and that wasn't even standing still on where we were before. That was us weaker and we've spent £40m. It's laughable what bad shape we were in because of previous management. A decent player for the PL costs what? I have no idea. We needed 10 more of them after this. Minimum.

And then we had to bed all the new players in and expect them to settle straight in. Every single player we signed. A whole new squad basically. I think I remember most level headed fans saying things like '17th would be the aim for the season'. The bit I'm bold is where we are at isn't it? We are in a fight, we have a chance. Level with our aim. Why are you making out like we don't have a chance? Will we do it, I doubt it. Honestly, I don't think we will. 

You've gave Bruce lots of time. You gave Smith barely any time. Smith has earnt our respect and a chance and some time because he got us promoted from nowhere. If we went down, I would 100% trust Smith to get us back up over Bruce. Proof is in the pudding. I wouldn't get rid of Smith, he's learning. He's learning on the job. He's learning about the players on the job. He's got a lot wrong. But we still have a chance. 

If we go down and we aren't challenging at the top next season, then is the time to move on. He's earnt the right. He's earnt the right to finish this season. And he's earnt the right to have a go next season and getting us back up. We cannot keep going in circles and getting rid of manager after manager. Not when we've had our most successful manager in the last 5 or 6 years at the helm.

I’d argue that because he’s earnt  the right as you say is the reason he’s had 31 games - many clubs would have pulled the trigger far sooner , he’s had more time and still showed no sign of improvement ; enough is enough. 

Edited by Eastie

Late to the party here since I didn't watch the game but am I right in reading that we were playing progressively worse up until their goal but did't make any subs until after they scored?

70th minute despite this being the 3rd game of the restart and a lot of our players have been playing in all of them?

This has been an ongoing thing with Smith. Please just act instead of react for once!

Apparently McGinn has played 76, 87 & 77 minutes during these games. He will break down before long if he's not rested. 

Â