John McGinn

PompeyVillan

14 hours ago, Lochheads twin said:

One of my favourite villa players of the last few years. He is such a great asset to have both on and off the pitch. With the quality of midfield players behind him now, I hope we can see him add more goals to his game, similar to when he plays for Scotland.

I can't wait to see him perform against his old club Hibs.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I’m not sure it’s spoken about enough just how good he has become. I remember 12 months ago, I posted something along the lines of ‘it might be best for both parties if he moves on’. (Yes, sometimes Delphinho does get it wrong!) Since Emery has come in, he’s become the player we all knew he could be from those early days in the championship.

It was always there with McGinn, he just couldn’t stay quite fit enough at times, nor could he properly nail down his best position within the team. But we all knew ‘it’ was there. Perhaps that’s why we got so frustrated as fans with him. We saw the potential but he wasn’t quite unlocking it.

Now look at him. We talk about Luiz and Kamara a lot and how good they are, but for me, McGinn is just as important if not more important to this team. He’s become THAT good. If he hadn’t started last season as badly as he did, there’s no question he would have been POTS. His performances since Xmas time have been phenomenal - particularly at home to Spurs and Newcastle which for me, were arguably the two best individual performances from any player last season.

Right now, he’s our best player. If he stays fit, I don’t think any other player is getting near him for POTS. That’s how highly I rate him and what he’s been doing on the pitch this past 7/8 months. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not sure it’s spoken about enough just how good he has become. I remember 12 months ago, I posted something along the lines of ‘it might be best for both parties if he moves on’. (Yes, sometimes Delphinho does get it wrong!) Since Emery has come in, he’s become the player we all knew he could be from those early days in the championship.

It was always there with McGinn, he just couldn’t stay quite fit enough at times, nor could he properly nail down his best position within the team. But we all knew ‘it’ was there. Perhaps that’s why we got so frustrated as fans with him. We saw the potential but he wasn’t quite unlocking it.

Now look at him. We talk about Luiz and Kamara a lot and how good they are, but for me, McGinn is just as important if not more important to this team. He’s become THAT good. If he hadn’t started last season as badly as he did, there’s no question he would have been POTS. His performances since Xmas time have been phenomenal - particularly at home to Spurs and Newcastle which for me, were arguably the two best individual performances from any player last season.

Right now, he’s our best player. If he stays fit, I don’t think any other player is getting near him for POTS. That’s how highly I rate him and what he’s been doing on the pitch this past 7/8 months. 

You weren’t wrong though. He was playing poorly week in week out. His passing was atrocious and he kept aimlessly kicking out of touch his Hollywood balls  for no apparent reason.

The odd through ball came off and suddenly he was the greatest player on earth for some . His positioning and by minute 60 his fitness were all off. He had a mini revival under Slippy for the first 5 games but then reverted back to the poor two seasons of form he was producing. 

Enter Don Unai since then SJM has got fitter, more tactically aware and flexible. He’s simplified his game to the point where his through balls are selective and much more deadly. His movement and timing has improved immensely. The kid is bordering on one the best 30 midfielders in the league now. 

As for the player from the championship- he’s much better now than he ever was to the point where he could play as one of the two DM’s and he’s the one who sits. And he’s comfortable doing it. 

• Like 4

Â