Your World Cup Favourites

John

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Favourite WC's  in order

90, 94 and 98

I enjoy them all but I'll never enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger. 

Yep, definitely better watching football during my younger years.  I’m 43 now and that excitement just isn’t there as it was.  

For me:  1990, 1986 and 1998.   

Moments:  Platty v Belgium, anything Maradona did during Mexico 86, anything Gazza was involved in during Italia 90 and that Owen goal v Argentina at France 98. 

• Like 1

Faves were 1978 and 1982. Loved the flowing locked Argies in ';78 and Brazil were fantastic (going forward) in '82, really gutted when they went out.

In latter years I've taken less and less notice and probably won't watch much this time, if any.

Just awaiting the St George's flags lining the gutters as they fall off sad peoples cars :)

as a youngish man...they still reflect on my age

94 i was 10, it was the first one i knew what was going on but i didnt know anything about football in terms of the european cup etc so the majority of the players were all new to me, romario, stoichkov, baggio and then the performances of teams like bulgaria, sweden etc where i didnt know anything about them those days are gone, brilliant ireland vs italy game too

98 vs the argies was probably the best game I've watched at a world cup and the most gutted I've felt afterwards, owens goal is probably my favourite WC moment, people on my street came out of their houses celebrating

2002 i was on a level exam leave so that was a special one, watched every game

2006 was a world cup where all the england games were in a sold out filled to a fire hazard pub so that was good 

2010 was the world cup where me and my mates all had our own places so it was BBQ after BBQ and big parties for the england games

now i think i'm at that age where they just kind of roll in to each other, nothing special, might do something for the england games and a couple of the friday nights / saturdays but other than that it'll be on in the background at home by myself

Edited by villa4europe

Best game experience was England v Argentina 2002. 

From memory it kicked off about midday on a Friday? I worked from 7am - 11am, then went to the Last Word pub on Hagley Road (demolished now, part of the Morrisons development). Pub was absolutely rammed! Went back to work afterwards stinking of booze and smoke. Worked until 5pm then went out on the lash until the next morning. Think we may have been thrown out of Zanzibar! 

I also really enjoyed the last one - Brazil '14 - A really great tournament I thought despite England struggling in the heat of Brazil in a hard group and going out in the initial group stage for the first time in my life. But a great World Cup overall for me some truly great goals (That Van Persie header though!), Robben v Australia and then Cahill's Volley, Luiz free kick v Colombia, Shaquiri's screamer. Gotze's winner. Villa's backheel, James Rodriguez's brace including goal of the tournament up there, Messi's goal against Bosnia. Then, 7-1 humiliation of Brazil in the semi in their own backyard at the hands of Germany was the most jaw dropping game of football I think I've ever seen. Just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Maybe 4-1 with a disallowed goal to boot 4 years ago wasn't so bad after all!! Holders and much fancied Spain go out in the group stage and Italy join us on the plane home early as Costa Rica top the group. James Rodriguez upstages Messi, Klose becomes all time record scorer eclipsing proper Ronaldo's World Cup record. Robben has yet another decent tournament. Neymar introduces himself to the world stage and got injured against Colombia in the QF effectively ending Brazilian hopes, nipper Gotze wins it for Germany in extra time with a lovely finish. Like @One For The Road said the Belgium v USA game was nuts. Spain 1 Holland 5 is hard to forget especially with Spain's dominance in the previous few years and the preposterous header from Van Persie as well as a nice dose of revenge for the Dutch losing in the final 4 years earlier (even though they were dirty AF that day). Football the winner for me in Brazil '14 again despite yet another Germany v Argentina final! I mean '86 was great, '90 was awful and this one a bit meh but it's a fixture I really don't care who wins, I want them both to lose! Historically aswell, it was the first time a European team breaks the hoodoo and wins on the South American continent and that's something. And as for infamous moments how about that Luiz Suarez everybody! No, not the one with the handball, that was the last time! This one was the biting of Chiellini and subsequent gardening leave. But great games, huge shocks, great goals all over the place, Records broken and culminating in a tense final sealed with a finish fit to win any WC.

• Like 2

Favourite WC goal? This one from 2002:

Yeah... doesn't look like much, does it?

But when you see the slow mo replay: Borgetti runs past the ball and heads it backwards. And that is Buffon in goal - and he can do nothing but watch it go in. Superb technique.

• Like 2

for whatever reason that video reminded me of a really good game between mexico and argentina in 06, close game both teams played really well, extra time screamer from maxi rodriguez (one for the players i forgot about thread) won it

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I also really enjoyed the last one - Brazil '14 - A really great tournament I thought despite England struggling in the heat of Brazil in a hard group and going out in the initial group stage for the first time in my life. But a great World Cup overall for me some truly great goals (That Van Persie header though!), Robben v Australia and then Cahill's Volley, Luiz free kick v Colombia, Shaquiri's screamer. Gotze's winner. Villa's backheel, James Rodriguez's brace including goal of the tournament up there, Messi's goal against Bosnia. Then, 7-1 humiliation of Brazil in the semi in their own backyard at the hands of Germany was the most jaw dropping game of football I think I've ever seen. Just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Maybe 4-1 with a disallowed goal to boot 4 years ago wasn't so bad after all!! Holders and much fancied Spain go out in the group stage and Italy join us on the plane home early as Costa Rica top the group. James Rodriguez upstages Messi, Klose becomes all time record scorer eclipsing proper Ronaldo's World Cup record. Robben has yet another decent tournament. Neymar introduces himself to the world stage and got injured against Colombia in the QF effectively ending Brazilian hopes, nipper Gotze wins it for Germany in extra time with a lovely finish. Like @One For The Road said the Belgium v USA game was nuts. Spain 1 Holland 5 is hard to forget especially with Spain's dominance in the previous few years and the preposterous header from Van Persie as well as a nice dose of revenge for the Dutch losing in the final 4 years earlier (even though they were dirty AF that day). Football the winner for me in Brazil '14 again despite yet another Germany v Argentina final! I mean '86 was great, '90 was awful and this one a bit meh but it's a fixture I really don't care who wins, I want them both to lose! Historically aswell, it was the first time a European team breaks the hoodoo and wins on the South American continent and that's something. And as for infamous moments how about that Luiz Suarez everybody! No, not the one with the handball, that was the last time! This one was the biting of Chiellini and subsequent gardening leave. But great games, huge shocks, great goals all over the place, Records broken and culminating in a tense final sealed with a finish fit to win any WC.

I’ve only thought of it from an England perspective, but  Hat narrative you have there really does sell it as a great tournament.

The Spain Holland game really was weird, Spain took the lead and looked every bit the world class team they’d previously been. David Silva was put clear to make it 2-0 and tried to be too clever by dinking the keeper, who made the save. They score then and it’s game over, Holland likely go out and Spain progress. As it was, Holland score that Van Persie goal and all of a sudden momentum switched, Spain went into themselves and got humped, losing all confidence and going out the tournament. Holland get confident  utilising Robben on the counter and progress. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve only thought of it from an England perspective, but  Hat narrative you have there really does sell it as a great tournament.

The Spain Holland game really was weird, Spain took the lead and looked every bit the world class team they’d previously been. David Silva was put clear to make it 2-0 and tried to be too clever by dinking the keeper, who made the save. They score then and it’s game over, Holland likely go out and Spain progress. As it was, Holland score that Van Persie goal and all of a sudden momentum switched, Spain went into themselves and got humped, losing all confidence and going out the tournament. Holland get confident  utilising Robben on the counter and progress. 

One of two truly crazy halves of footie that year. If it wasn't overshadowed by the 7-1 game it would have been the biggest shock for years. Took them like all of the second half to score 4 goals, Germany racked up 4 in 6 minutes against Brazil!

Never mentioned other Ronaldo's Portugal going out to the USA on goal difference either. Or the ending of the Holland Mexico game or even Chile who also beat Spain before losing out on penalties to Brazil in the round of 16. Algeria taking Germany to extra time. France mincing everyone before losing out to Germany in the QF's and Costa Rica flying the CONCACAF flag to the QF's. Great stuff.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

cant believe this goal doesnt get a mention. the assist is perfect and even better when you realise Pablo Garcia was an absolute clogger

Yeah, you reminded me of that one, it's a beauty. I cant believe no one's mentioned my favourite England goal yet

Favourite World Cups: 1st 1998, 2nd 2006, 3rd 2014.

Match: Australia 3 Japan 1 (2006), Brazil 3 Denmark 2 (1998), Brazil 1 Germany 7 (2014) - This game was absolutely crazy. The period where Germany scored 4 goals in 6 minutes I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was like FIFA where your opponent leaves the game online but the game keeps going.

Goal: My other favourite James Rodriguez from the 2014 World Cup

Worst/Infamous moments: Zidane's headbutt, Ronaldo's seizure, Suarez's bite, Rivaldo's dive against Turkey in 2002 & Fabio Grosso's penalty against Australia in 2006 (despite the fact it was correct, infamous in Australia).

I'm loving finding out how the tournaments that didn't leave much of a mark on me overall are well loved by those of you outside the UK. Pretty obvious really that you Swede's are going to reminisce fondly about USA '94 unless you can actually remember 1958! We all became Irish for a summer which was pretty easy as a Villa fan at the time due to the high profile players.

Brolin - Dahlin - Brolin! Bad memories for us lol. I suppose that was your 'Golden generation' right there wasn't it.

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

didn't leave much of a mark on me overall are well loved by those of you outside the UK

Flip that around for the 1990 WC as well. Unless you are German, English or Italian it's regarded as the WC that forced the change of the backpass rule :) (and sweden were dire of course)

• Like 1

Â