Latin America and the Caribbean

maqroll

I figure a catchall thread would be good for this part of the world. I'm starting one now because one time hero Daniel Ortega is now a murderous tyrant as 70% of the roads in Nicaragua are currently blocked by protesters who want him to resign. The heady days of the Sandinistas seem a long time ago. Ortega's armed forces are shooting to kill and are killing. He's got a civilian paramilitary carrying out most of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump sends the marines in there, it would be an easy win and he can rouse his base with it as the midterm elections near. Reagan invaded Grenada, Bush Sr. invaded Panama. If Bush Jr. didn't invade Iraq, I think he would have invaded Venezuela. It's a cynical quick fix for American presidents.

• Like 1

My very limited understanding of the politics of the area is heavily coloured by reading James Ellroy's 'Underworld USA' trilogy. Hardly a reliable source... 

• Like 1

i fear this thread will end up on page 2 before the end of the weekend

If I'm honest , I have almost zero knowledge of that region ( though I was aware of the Reagan / Bush forays in those regions you mentioned) and I'm a news leech that reads countless news articles a day  .. for whatever reason it just doesn't seem to be grabbing the headline  the Korean or Middle East situations do , your post was probably the first I'd heard about the situation in Nicaragua  tbh

so it sorta makes it hard of me to contribute a lot in this thread  ( you could argue that could be said of most threads !!) ,but I'd happily read more in depth info if you post it

I’d guess having a bit of a dabble in Nicaragua would be more of a sound bite and photo opportunity than getting the electricity switched back on in dirty lazy Puerto Rico.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, maqroll said:

Tropical Trump just won the presidency of Brazil. Openly admiring of the past dictatorship, racist, sexist, etc. This is becoming a global war.

Just like Trump, what I struggle to understand here, if the news and journalists are to be believed is that he's insulted so many groups. Apparently he's against gays, blacks, indigenous peoples, women and lefties. Which you would imagine leaves him too small a voter base?

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just reading about the Brazilian President.  He actually makes Trump look like a good guy! 

So now we have the the largest democracy in the world, the richest most powerful country in the world, and the largest, richest country in South America all governed by right wing nut jobs?

What a time to be alive.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know very little about this part of the world I'm embarrassed to say. But as someone that's educated in natural sciences, I've always wanted to go on a motorcycle trip through the continent and especially visit the amazon river and the rain forests. But I really don't feel comfortable travelling through countries like Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, 

Â