Latin America and the Caribbean

maqroll

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i just say im in barbados and thia place is **** amazing

1st place in Caribbean ive been too and wow

Are you enjoying a Mount Gay?

kenneth_williams_in_his_own_words.jpg.094fc11f7c9c617afccf443ff22633aa.jpg

• Haha 2

I went to Barbados when I was younger. I found the people, the island, the culture all to be amazing. I was there for an hour stopover aged 10 on my way to Trinidad. I never left the airport. 

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i just say im in barbados and thia place is **** amazing

1st place in Caribbean ive been too and wow

You lucky so and so.  Have a great time Dem!

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I went to Barbados when I was younger. I found the people, the island, the culture all to be amazing. I was there for an hour stopover aged 10 on my way to Trinidad. I never left the airport. 

Spot on mate this is how i havw found it. The people don't have much but are just so happy and positive with smiles on their faces. We could learn a lot from them!

• 4 months later...

Political assassination yesterday in Ecuador of a presidential candidate who vowed to root out cartel-politician corruption. 

Sad. Ecuador was relatively peaceful until recently due to the drug trade. Another reason to make all drugs legal.

The shooting is online if you want to view it. You don't see him get shot and you don't see any gore, but he was shot in the head multiple times. 

😔 

On 10/08/2023 at 14:31, maqroll said:

Another reason to make all drugs legal

Too much money being spent on the invisible war on drugs for certain drugs to ever be legalised. 

I agree btw, legalise, regulate and squeeze the criminals and their wallets. It's the only way to ever stop this shit happening by making it non profitable to the extent it currently is. Prohibition in the US was a perfect example of what happens when you try to stop people using. The criminal becomes much more powerful and the politicians that protect them do too.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Might as well roll the dice, I guess. Intractable anarchy is tough to try to contain and fix with just men wearing blue helmets toting rifles. This could all go belly-up.

UN votes to send Kenyan-led security force to Haiti to combat gangs

UN votes to send Kenyan-led security force to Haiti to combat gangs | Haiti | The Guardian

• 1 month later...

Speaking to a neighbour of mine that’s from Guyana, he’s mentioned that they have had a recent discovery of oil and other natural commodities. He didn’t sound too happy about the discovery because he believes there may be conflict. Well after speaking with him I came across this from a few days ago and I think it’s something to keep an eye on for 2024 and beyond. Hopefully we don’t have another conflict/proxy war over the same things.

Edited by Rustibrooks
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Seems like Venezuela may have succeeded in their referendum to do with annexing a part of Guyana (for their oil reserves). So we are getting closer to a potential conflict, Brazil and USA( no surprise) are watching closely. It doesn’t seem like this will be solved diplomatically at this point.

The irony is that the Venezuelan president has condemned Israel for their actions pretty openly but they are fine with wanting to invade their neighbours over oil they claim is theirs. Based on what the British Empire controlled when they ruled Guyana.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to very interesting to see how things play out in Argentina with their new nutter in charge. The Argie Left has no one but themselves to blame.

Edited by maqroll

Touch paper on Argentina lit.

Decrees include

• Total housing deregulation
  • Removal of land sale protections (previously foreign entities couldn't purchase plots over a specific size, this has been removed)
  • Nationalised service companies sold (of course)
  • Subsidies on things like public transport removed leading to vastly increased fares
  • Full labour deregulation including a rollback of employment protections
  • Sale of national satellite system to Musk

A few rich people will be getting very rich very fast, and Argentina will be on fire in very short order.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not good.

Armed gunmen wearing masks stormed a television station in Ecuador’s largest city on Tuesday, taking anchors and staff hostage and exchanging gunfire with the police as cameras rolled before the intruders were subdued and arrested.

The televised violence, captured live, erupted in the city of Guayaquil as the South American country has descended into chaos this week, with a powerful gang leader disappearing from prison, uprisings breaking out in several prisons and inmates kidnapping and threatening guards.

Ecuador Plunges Into Crisis Amid Prison Riots, Kidnappings - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Â