Latin America and the Caribbean

maqroll

I know very little about this part of the world I'm embarrassed to say. But as someone that's educated in natural sciences, I've always wanted to go on a motorcycle/car trip through the continent and especially visit the amazon river and the rain forests. But I really don't feel comfortable travelling through countries like Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, Venezuela, Brazil etc. when I don't speak Spanish or Portuguese.

• 4 weeks later...

President of Haiti shot dead in his house. The situation is likely to spin out of control...It's easy to feel rather hopeless these days. But imagine being a Haitian. Complete and utter suffering.

• Sad 1

On 14/06/2021 at 01:36, KenjiOgiwara said:

I know very little about this part of the world I'm embarrassed to say. But as someone that's educated in natural sciences, I've always wanted to go on a motorcycle/car trip through the continent and especially visit the amazon river and the rain forests. But I really don't feel comfortable travelling through countries like Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, Venezuela, Brazil etc. when I don't speak Spanish or Portuguese.

Take a crash course in basic Spanish. It's a pretty easy language to learn the basics.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 07:36, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've always wanted to go on a motorcycle/car trip through the continent and especially visit the amazon river and the rain forests.

Be aware you’ll probably be radicalised and become a controversial freedom fighter/left wing icon/terrorist.

icons GIF

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bolsonaro beating expectations and forcing a October 30 run-off vs Lula in Brazil.

Bolsonaro sowing doubt about the electronic ballot system in Trumpian fashion. 

Country on a knife's edge..

On 02/09/2022 at 15:17, maqroll said:

Yikes

Yeah, such a scary situation, I was in Argentina the day this happened and was shocked when I heard the news the next day. Then I was in a taxi and mentioned it to the driver... he told me that he didn't believe the gun jammed, as the media were reporting. His theory was that it wasn't the assailant's intention to kill her and that he deliberately had no bullet in the gun, that it was just a blank, in order to scare her into facing trial for  corruption charges (as lots of the Argentinian public are calling for).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well i doubt many would re offend after seeing the conditions of this place again

It’s a brand new place, built to house up to 40,000 of El Salvador’s suspected gang members. I think the conditions are likely to be an improvement on what they experienced previously. Saying that, the new place has 8 buildings, with 32 cells in each, and each cell will hold ‘more than 100 prisoners’… the cells are about 100 square metres with just two toilets and sinks. 

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s a brand new place, built to house up to 40,000 of El Salvador’s suspected gang members. I think the conditions are likely to be an improvement on what they experienced previously. Saying that, the new place has 8 buildings, with 32 cells in each, and each cell will hold ‘more than 100 prisoners’… the cells are about 100 square metres with just two toilets and sinks. 

100 people in a cell alone is hell on earth. Thats **** horrendous 

No mattresses for the beds and not enough beds for the inmates. No gym or cafeteria for the inmates, only for the guards. Guess the plan is for the inmates to start killing each other.

• 4 weeks later...

Argentina in a dire financial state (even more than usual) 

Argentina near bankruptcy status

Argentina is approaching bankruptcy status in terms of its ability to repay its foreign currency debts, according to credit rating agency Fitch.

Fitch lowers Argentina's so-called IDR rating two notches from CCC- to C, which is the step above bankruptcy status. For debt in domestic currency, the IDR rating remains at CCC

Last year, the general price level rose by 94.8 percent, according to the country's statistics authority, and the rate of inflation has continued to increase after the turn of the year.

In parallel, the peso has continued to weaken. A US dollar now costs just over 205 pesos, almost doubling in a year. On the black market, the rate is over 380 pesos.

Last week, new statistics came out which showed that the inflation rate on an annual basis exceeds 100 percent for the first time. In February, it was 102.5 percent. The central bank responded by raising its main key interest rate from 75 to 78 percent.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/argentina-nara-konkursstatus

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, sne said:

Argentina in a dire financial state (even more than usual) 

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/argentina-nara-konkursstatus

Awful.  : <  I'll be back there from May to June, perhaps with even higher prices. I heard that their inflation last year was 75% but this article says that it ended up as 94.8 !

I was there last August and again last month and the prices of food and hotels were very high. In February I was only able to stay thanks to transfers from my bank account (UK) to myself through Western Union as somehow they give a better exchange rate than the official one... Theirs is quite similar to the black market rate: the unofficial 'blue dollar' one that you can get from people standing in the streets offering to buy dollars from you (which I don't take part in as it seems a bit dodgy and I don't want to risk being scammed or robbed).

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Can i just say im in barbados and thia place is **** amazing

1st place in Caribbean ive been too and wow

Barbados! 🤩🏝️😎🏖️  Great! I've never been there, bet I'd love it. Good for you Dem, hope you have a lovely time out there. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Â