World Cup : Group G (Eng, Bel, Pan, Tun)

BOF

30 minutes ago, jimmythomas said:

Anything less than England reaching the semi-finals would be a failure now.

I'm not really sure that is fair.

1) England aren't really that good overall

2) Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland are all decent sides of a similar ilk to England.

Like all knockout football, its usually tiny margins about who goes through. England will need something they are long overdue... a bit of good luck.

• Like 2

They just need to be cognisant that they're in the open side of the draw, but that it's open for EVERYONE.  England could well reach the semi final, but Colombia are thinking likewise.  England need to turn up on Tuesday and do the business.  Their first team hasn't beaten a good side yet.  That would be the concern going into that game. England have long struggled in knockouts, because knockouts are where the better teams are.  If they can overcome Colombia then they'll get massive confidence from that.  IMHO Colombia is a tougher test than the quarter final is likely to be, not because of the quality of the opponent on its own (before @Tegis attacks me :P) but because of the unfamiliarity of Colombia's style combined with said quality.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's crucial they get James fit. If he's fit and confident he's world class.

Agree. I never really notice him in Champions League etc , but his performance last week was fantastic, as were a couple in the last Competition.  On song, as good a creative player as I’ve seen. 

Not that I’m bothered, ( although I’m bothered enough to Post this lol)....but I’ve not seen it mentioned anywhere - apologies if it has been I’ve not read a lot of the WC threads.....but how on earth did the TV piece about Southgate manage to completely leave out the part coming to Villa played in his development as a player, the fact that when he played at Euro 96 he was a Villa, not a Palace, player, and somehow also manage to throw in “ is your big regret that you never played for a big Club” ? ( I mean, we aren’t Man United but we were certainly considered top 6 ish at the time ).....never mind he Won a trophy with us, and played nearly 200 times in 6 years ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dick said:

Strange, wasn't it? They went straight from his time at Palace so saying he played at Euro 96, then when it did mention he captain 3 clubs, it showed Boro then a very quick clip of us.

Sorry it has indeed come up...guess I could’ve checked first......anyway I feel better for moaning about it ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Eric Dier is a putrid footballer. One paced, one pass, slow, labouring, sloppy, just happy to stand 2ft from his marker when we have the ball and 10ft off him when we don't.  in his head he must think he is Pirlo.

Agree. I’ve not watched much international football in the build up to this......how on earth is he within a million billion miles of the National Team ? As a DM, he makes Carlos Sanchez look like Roy Keane.

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Not that I’m bothered, ( although I’m bothered enough to Post this lol)....but I’ve not seen it mentioned anywhere - apologies if it has been I’ve not read a lot of the WC threads.....but how on earth did the TV piece about Southgate manage to completely leave out the part coming to Villa played in his development as a player, the fact that when he played at Euro 96 he was a Villa, not a Palace, player, and somehow also manage to throw in “ is your big regret that you never played for a big Club” ? ( I mean, we aren’t Man United but we were certainly considered top 6 ish at the time ).....never mind he Won a trophy with us, and played nearly 200 times in 6 years ?

Put it much better than I did. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimmythomas said:

I was born in 68 and i have heard this every time we have got there and a few times we haven't, can't knock you for enthusiasm though.

23 hours ago, jimmythomas said:

Pure hype. Colombia will be a struggle. England will be doing extremely well to get that far. Beating two of the worst teams in the tournament (with one of those games being a struggle) does not make you a shoe in for the semis. 

For what it's worth, despite Rashford's disgraceful finishing, he definitely should be starting against Colombia. He did far more than Sterling has done, he was actually demanding the ball and was actually a threat. He gets involved, he's quicker player than Sterling and has more strength and technique. England will have to press high against Colombia and Rashford would do a much better job at that. 

On 29/06/2018 at 19:55, tinker said:

I was born in 68 and i have heard this every time we have got there and a few times we haven't, can't knock you for enthusiasm though.

On 30/06/2018 at 10:48, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pure hype. Colombia will be a struggle. England will be doing extremely well to get that far. Beating two of the worst teams in the tournament (with one of those games being a struggle) does not make you a shoe in for the semis. 

I didn't say they're a shoe in for the semis. I'm well aware England are over hyped and overrated but their squad is still stronger than Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland's. To not beat them would be a failure in my eyes (especially when you take into account all the players Southgate rested for the Belgium game).

Edited by jimmythomas

2 hours ago, jimmythomas said:

I didn't say they're a shoe in for the semis. I'm well aware England are over hyped and overrated but their squad is still stronger than Colombia, Sweden and Switzerland's. To not beat them would be a failure in my eyes (especially when you take into account all the players Southgate rested for the Belgium game).

I don't buy into this resting players theory, as Villa fans we are all to familiar with how it can work against you , MON Eufa cup in Russia? Led to a collapse in form in the league .

Â