What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

you can get it from the likes of the whiskey exchange online but its not sold at bars / supermarkets

coke is my mixer of choice with anything dark

picked up a bottle of the apple one a couple of years back, **** me.....incredible 

Not had the apple, im a neat, scotch man in the house. But i have had a couple of heavy nights on the Crown and Ginger, particularly one night in vegas, when i was drinking pints of the stuff. Needless to say the flight back the next day was ace....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Being a whisky nut I've found out today that my missus sister has got me a bottle of Haig club for xmas. Now I've not tried this stuff for 2 reasons.

Firstly, any whisky that advertises itself as being good with a mixer should be avoided.

Secondly, the reviews on the whisky exchange and masters of malt are scathing. 

Now i will of course appear over moon at what is a lovely gesture, but rather than spending xmas day drinking my own whisky I'm now going to be obliged to drink this sh#t. Am i being ungrateful? :crylaugh:

I know this isn't ebay but on boxing day there will be a bottle of haig club for sale. There will 1, 2 at most drams missing. Free to collect :crylaugh:

Edited by av1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

Being a whisky nut I've found out today that my missus sister has got me a bottle of Haig club for xmas. Now I've not tried this stuff for 2 reasons.

Firstly, any whisky that advertises itself as being good with a mixer should be avoided.

Secondly, the reviews on the whisky exchange and masters of malt are scathing. 

Now i will of course appear over moon at what is a lovely gesture, but rather than spending xmas day drinking my own whisky I'm now going to be obliged to drink this sh#t. Am i being ungrateful? :crylaugh:

I wouldn't say it's being ungrateful, but I would likely in the nicest way push the "good with a mixer" aspect. Just say some shit like "always had my eye on this, I hear its a phenomenal in a cocktail or as a mixer" that way you can just spend Christmas day drowning it in Coke. If that doesn't work hope that it tastes better slightly watered down or on the rocks. I hate getting Whisky for Christmas unless it's something I have specifically requested as it's such a personal taste. I am sure you'll figure out a way to make it work and hell, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and find you like it. :D

22 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I am sure you'll figure out a way to make it work 

I'm thinking keeping it for when I've got the flu. That way i get the medicinal benefits without the taste.

22 minutes ago, Daweii said:

maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and find you like it. :D

I doubt it mate. Like you said, whisky is personal preference and i like peaty islay whisky. Something that advertises itself as being good with coke isn't going to be to my liking. Infact the cynic in me would say that the distillery knew they had fe#cked up with Haig club and decided that a way of limiting their loss would be to throw a few quid at David Beckham in the hope that his popularity would shift bottles to casual whisky drinkers.  

Edited by av1

25 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I hate getting Whisky for Christmas unless it's something I have specifically requested as it's such a personal taste. 

When i first started drinking whisky i enjoyed Jura. Over time my taste has moved on but my mom still buys my a bottle ever birthday/xmas. I've not got the heart to tell her i don't like the stuff anymore :D

11 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

Ive worked my way thru quite a lot of mid range scotch. McCallen 12 is a favorite. Straight butter.

Macallan Gold is also a very nice whisky. Its about £35 here in the uk, its a very smooth whisky, ideal for those that don't like the smoky stuff from islay. Macallan rare cask is also lovely but you wont get much change from £200 with that one. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Macallan Gold is also a very nice whisky. Its about £35 here in the uk, its a very smooth whisky, ideal for those that don't like the smoky stuff from islay. Macallan rare cask is also lovely but you wont get much change from £200 with that one. 

I like a nice lagavulin, but cant drink too much of the peaty stuff, 2-3 glasses and im grand.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Whisky is one for the 'things you don't get' thread for me. 

I thought exactly the same till i started working with a guy that collects whisky a few years back. When i told him i didn't like whisky he seemed almost offended, and spent the next few weeks bringing in a different bottle every day for me to try. He quickly changed my opinion and the rest as they say is history. 

Whisky varies dramatically in flavour and complexity and its not all about price (my favorite whisky cost £50 and I've tried bottles that cost hundreds), so i would highly recommend a whisky festival  for those interested in trying different stuff. They cost about £35 entry and there are hundreds of different bottles to try (free of charge). 

Even if you still don't like the stuff you'll come away drunk. £35 wouldn't get me drunk in wetherspoons ;)

3 minutes ago, Dom_Wren said:

I like a nice lagavulin, but cant drink too much of the peaty stuff, 2-3 glasses and im grand.

Lagavulin 16 is the best pound for pound whisky in the world imo. I love islay whisky. If you like Lagavulin but would maybe like a little less peat, Bunnahabian 12 is a really nice drink (also one of my favourites). 

It's only subtly peated but its really smooth with a bit of a vanilla note. Its also one of the few whiskies (imo) that benefits from a small drop of water. It gives it quite a creamy finish. 

Â