What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

All I can conclude from that is that Winston Churchill had shit taste in 'beer'.

I'm still gaining my beer education. I've got to the beer snobbery point now where I pity people who can't appreciate it. So much variety in the world and people plump for popular lagers like Carling, fosters etc. Of course, they can drink what they want, but they're missing out on so much, especially if you can drink a beer near to source. A good fresh beer from an establishment that knows how to look after it is incomparable to chemically tasting british and expensive and disappointing imported lagers. 

All I can conclude from that is that Winston Churchill had shit taste in 'beer'.

I'm still gaining my beer education. I've got to the beer snobbery point now where I pity people who can't appreciate it. So much variety in the world and people plump for popular lagers like Carling, fosters etc. Of course, they can drink what they want, but they're missing out on so much, especially if you can drink a beer near to source. A good fresh beer from an establishment that knows how to look after it is incomparable to chemically tasting british and expensive and disappointing imported lagers. 

Winston Churchill drank one thing more than any other:

179573.jpg

In defeat I need it, in victory I deserve it”

Edited by PauloBarnesi
  • Like 1

I am amazed at the love for Brewdog; I found it pretty damn poor with some of the worst design/copy yet to inhabit a beer bottle.

This stuff on the other hand was bloody good:

60765011_H.jpg?identifier=3a863c1566a001

Not really seen the fuss about brewdog beers either really. They got some good publicity about that really strong beer they made that caused a stir in the Scottish parliament.

Went to Bristol a few weeks ago and went to a place called the three tuns. Lots of strong beers in there. A 13% stout and a few high strength beers. Not my bag, people were drinking it in wine glasses. That was new to me.

The homeless and Winston Churchill...

I'd guess the difference there is that the latter may well have consumed a bottle of Pol Roger and a litre of brandy before starting on the special brew. :D

Edit: Mr Barnes beat me to it.

Edited by snowychap

I'll bet he used to hit the special brew on a Saturday whilst preparing for a night sat in front of the old idiot box waiting for X factor or big brother to start

No, he probably didn't. You see, absolutely terrible car crash television that is one of my main gripes with the 21st century so far hadn't been invented.

Never really been a fan of lager, had some nice ones admittedly in Hannover during the Oktoberfest a few years ago, but never really have had one which I've thought has tasted nice in the UK. Except one, which I'm not sure of the name. I used to often go round to a mates to relax in the evenings quad biking, pool playing and generally getting pretty drunk. Quad biking came earlier on in the evening! All I remember is that it was brewed in Liverpool, the cans were very big and not made out of wafer thin metal that could be easily crushed, and I think they were mostly black with pale writing. He loved them and they were rather nice, think they were delivered and not stocked in the shops of Lincolnshire, maybe closer to Liverpool though. Apart from that lager I'm a fan of bitters, Old Speckled Hen, Old Peculiar, and especially Batemans XXXB. Not many under 30's seem to drink bitters these days, I think it has a lovely taste, and there's huge variety out there too 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought the ingredients for an 'Old Fashioned' cocktail (pic) yesterday and despite it being about 1pm, just had to try them all out :)  Canadian Club whisky, Angostura bitters, demerara sugar (optional, normal will do) and the rest I had (water, ice, lemon and/or orange peel).  All very sophisticated :P and quite lovely.

Â