Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

And everyone saying there’s no point in the Labour leader saying anything well that was always bollocks. Ben Wallace, a Tory defense minister lauded for his stance on Ukraine, happens to think Israel are being dicks - thousands march weekly against their murder - it all adds up. It hasn’t produced action yet but thank the Lord it is starting to get traction. Far right Israel can go to hell - moderate Israel when it finally shows up should be listened to. 

I realise this thread has fallen away, because quite frankly there is no discussion to be had - this is a tragically one-sided situation. However in the spirit of Christmas, here is a reasoned message from the church in Bethlehem, it's a darn sight better than King Charlie will do. 

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday

At least 68 people were killed by an Israeli strike in central Gaza, health officials said Sunday, while the number of Israeli soldiers killed in combat over the weekend rose to 17.

Associated Press journalists at a nearby hospital watched frantic Palestinians carry the dead, including a baby, and wounded following the strike on the Maghazi refugee camp east of Deir al-Balah. One bloodied young girl looked stunned while her body was checked for broken bones.

The 68 fatalities include at least 12 women and seven children, according to early hospital figures.

“We were all targeted,” said Ahmad Turkomani, who lost several family members including his daughter and grandson. “There is no safe place in Gaza anyway.” 

As Christmas Eve fell, smoke rose over the besieged territory, while in the West Bank Bethlehem was hushed, its holiday celebrations called off. In neighboring Egypt, tentative efforts continued on a deal for another exchange of hostages for Palestinians held by Israel.

The war has devastated parts of Gaza, killed roughly 20,400 Palestinians and displaced almost all of the territory’s 2.3 million people.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-12-24-2023-9451d609ecdf85d14795caa628e2a127

Again, nobody who wishes to live to an old age should join the UN Gaza operation. Have a habit of getting blown up/shot 'by accident' a lot.

Israel also bombed a refugee camp the other day.

They're a terrorist state and if they weren't 'on our side' they'd be ripe for a regime change.

It's a stain on our nation we just wave on through whatever they wish to do in the name of expansionary land grabs, built on the bodies of children.

• Like 2

We've seen a couple of deranged interventions lately from ex-Obama administration figures, personally I found their anti-Palestinian vitriol shocking. Never been much interested in US politics but in this rather informative article it is laid bare. Israel funded political action groups are now coming for the left of US politics. They did a similar job here very recently. Israel has far too much influence. 

Squad members and their allies may also have to contend with pro-Israel Super Pacs and dark-money groups spending tens of millions of dollars on attack ads in a bid to unseat them. Critics say such ads often misrepresent progressives’ views to give the impression that they are cheerleading for Hamas.

The Democratic Majority for Israel Pac (DMFI Pac) recently launched a six-figure ad campaign targeting the Michigan congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, the sole Palestinian American in the House and one of Biden’s most strident critics. Its narrator said: “Tell Rashida Tlaib she’s on the wrong side of history and humanity.”

This week the DMFI Pac published its first round of endorsements for the 2024 election cycle, including 81 incumbent members of Congress. Its chair, Mark Mellman, said all the endorsees have demonstrated a deep commitment to the party’s values, “which include advancing and strengthening the US-Israel relationship”.

The group added that, in the 2021-22 election cycle, DMFI Pac-endorsed candidates won more than 80% of their races, helping bring 21 new “pro-Israel Democrats” to Congress.

Larry Jacobs, the director of the Center for the Study of Politics and Governance at the University of Minnesota, said: “The well-organised, and those with resources including money, are looking at the primaries as a way to settle scores.

“The Squad has a target on its back. The Israeli Zionist interest have concluded that they underinvested in the last election and that a bit more would have defeated some of the candidates, including Ilhan Omar, who won by only 2%. The amount of money going in looks to be substantially larger.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/25/democrats-house-centrists-progressives-republicans

I'm not at all comfortable with Israel carrying out state sponsored terrorist attacks in other countries - I mean, I'm sure he's a bad man, but blowing up buildings in countries you're not at war with isn't a direction I think we should be pursuing - Israel just bought political assassination to the table, anywhere in the world they feel it's appropriate.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not at all comfortable with Israel carrying out state sponsored terrorist attacks in other countries - I mean, I'm sure he's a bad man, but blowing up buildings in countries you're not at war with isn't a direction I think we should be pursuing - Israel just bought political assassination to the table, anywhere in the world they feel it's appropriate.

Personally, I can understand taking out the leaders far more than I can understand the murder of 7,000 children in 3 months of ethnic cleansing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They've been doing political assassination globally for decades.

Even aside from the famous stuff like the 70s revenge attacks for Munich, for the last 15 odd years they've been blowing up nuclear scientists in Iran for example.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Personally, I can understand taking out the leaders far more than I can understand the murder of 7,000 children in 3 months of ethnic cleansing.

Well, yes obviously but is that a game that our political leaders want to get into?

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, yes obviously but is that a game that our political leaders want to get into?

According to Wikipedia, Israel have carried out assassinations in:

Syria

Iran

Malaysia

Tunisia

Lebanon

United Arab Emirates

Jordan

Malta

France

Belgium

Egypt

Greece

Brazil

Norway

Cyprus

Italy

Uruguay

Germany

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

As opposed to The West?

The idea that Israel is alone in doing that is absurd. Not long ago US and UK air assets took out an Iranian general in Iraq with plenty of collateral. We also did the same with plenty of terrorists in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria.

I think taking out the leaders of Hamas is 100% better than bombing Gaza, and this particular guy is a co founder of Hamas.

It’s the Mossad/CIA/MI6 playbook.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

Â