Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

23 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think it's worse than that - the far right outside Israel are trying to exploit Jewish / Muslim differences in their own societies, and position themselves as "friends" of the Jewish community and opponents of Antisemitism for reasons that have little to do with Israel's own far-right politics, but everything to do with stoking up hatred in their own societies.

Agreed. Le Penn for example. But I don’t understand the original tweet - it’s lamenting that the far right have attached themselves to the Israeli cause - well, it’s all far right, if you’re lamenting the association then do something about the Israeli government, loud and clear. Acquiescing is complicity. 

Edited by Jareth

Israel cannot by itself, survive. It needs help. I mean it has fecked it so far hasn't it? The government is mental, it has presided over the worst security lapse in its history and the guy in charge is a criminal - if you love Israel speak up, or let it be doomed.  

Isreal PM on Laura K show saying huge Hamas Isis HQ is beneath Shifa hospital, they are trying to move patients out of the hospital before going after the HQ.

Edit: President, not PM

Edited by Genie

That's the spin now? Hamas and ISIS is the same thing 🙄. Apparently they are trying to make #HamasisISIS a thing on social media. Sure those already convinced will eat that s*it up.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

That's the spin now? Hamas and ISIS is the same thing 🙄. Apparently they are trying to make #HamasisISIS a thing on social media. Sure those already convinced will eat that s*it up.

Yeah, it seemed quite deliberate to make them appear as 1.

6 hours ago, sne said:

They have far more in common than differences. Hamas are very open in their desire to destroy Israel and slaughter all Jews in the region.

Just now, regular_john said:

They have far more in common than differences. Hamas are very open in their desire to destroy Israel and slaughter all Jews in the region.

They are about as similar as Coldplay and Nickleback. Granted both suck but they are not the same.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, regular_john said:

If they are in any way similar, why has our government been allowing british passport holders to freely move in and out of Hamas territory without issue?

Were they allowing British Citizens to enter ISIS territory for a family holiday or to volunteer as surgeons?

Fairly balanced article in Time that discusses the differences between Hamas and ISIS. More on the link….

[…]

The first and most important difference is that Hamas is a Palestiniannationalist Islamist movement. That fused, dual identity differentiates it from ISIS, which is a transnational pan-Islamist movement that wants to gather a universal umma, or community of Muslim believers, into an “Islamic state” untethered from any nationalist project. Hamas, on the other hand, has more localized demands: it identifies “liberation of all of Palestine” from what it terms “the Zionist enemy” as its core goal in its 2017 Charter. There is also the inconvenient fact that ISIS “literally views Hamas as apostates” because of its support from Shia Iran, as the Washington Institute for Near East Policy’s Aaron Zelin recently posted on X. 

A second key difference is their relative religious extremism. Hamas is religiously conservative, but it does not ruthlessly harass or kill non-Muslims in Gaza simply because of their faith or religious comportment. It tolerates women who don’t wear the hijab, people who sport tattoos, and teenagers who listen to American music. Christians and churches also coexist with Muslims in the Hamas-run enclave. None of this would have been possible under ISIS, a far more religiously extremist organization that tortured and mutilated people to compel their adherence to an ultra-radical version of Islam.

But comparisons between Hamas and ISIS abound in part because they can be politically useful. Insisting that Hamas is ISIS enables Israeli leaders to muffle criticism of the country’s treatment of Palestinians, including airstrikes in Gaza since Oct. 7 that have left at least 8,000 people dead, two-thirds of them women and children. The conflation could also help win over U.S. leaders and public opinion. “Since 1973, every Israeli war has ended early, from Israel’s perspective, because of dwindling support from the U.S.,” one former Israeli diplomat told me recently. “Keeping the U.S. onside here is very important, so this is useful hasbara [public relations] for Israel.” This rhetorical sleight of hand helps convince people that Hamas is not just a threat to Israel, but to French boardwalks or American nightclubs in the way ISIS was.[…]

• Like 4

16 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If they are in any way similar, why has our government been allowing british passport holders to freely move in and out of Hamas territory without issue?

Were they allowing British Citizens to enter ISIS territory for a family holiday or to volunteer as surgeons?

A very odd comment

I did not say that Hamas was the same as ISIS, I said they have far more in common than they have differences, which is true.

Have we already forgotten October 7th?

Just now, regular_john said:

A very odd comment

I did not say that Hamas was the same as ISIS, I said they have far more in common than they have differences, which is true.

Have we already forgotten October 7th?

How’s it an odd comment, we are currently as a nation repeating the line that the UK sees them as a terrorist organisation and that they are similar to ISIS. So why were we allowing free passage in and out of the area they control? What’s odd about that question?

I haven’t forgotten about 7th October, I can’t speak for ‘we’.

Â