Israel, Palestine and Iran

Swerbs

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I’m guessing we’ll see a lot more preliminary strikes from the IDF at Hezbollah launch sites and logistics then, and likely US backup if Hezbollah decides to ramp it up a notch?

If Hezbollah joins the war with intent then the US is in and will operate from the air against Hezbollah in Lebanon and Syria. They’ve already said this.

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Manchester has a large Jewish population doesn't it?

And you saying about it bring mixed it's one of those wierd things in life coming from an English town in the Midlands... I don't think I've ever knowingly met someone who is Jewish, seen some guys at airports and new York but never properly met or spoken to them

The Jewish populations in the UK are focused on North London (notably Barnet, which has the largest Jewish community in the UK) and Manchester.

Birmingham does have a decent Jewish community, hence Witton having a Jewish Cemetery, but there's not a massive community (not that there are massive Jewish communities anywhere outside of Israel and New York) and it's not of the most visible orthodox community. I worked with a Jewish person in the city for a while, the only reason I knew was because they told me, but you'd never have known otherwise, they weren't practising in any way but told me about having had to go to a Jewish take on Sunday school and so on.

I also lived in a house at uni that, over the summer, was used for holiday lets which was rented by a Jewish family. We found this out when we were told our house had 'a Jewish fridge' - basically an orthodox Jewish family would rent the house for a month for a holiday and would replace the fridge with a brand new one and just leave it, so when we moved back in we had a slightly better fridge than the normal knackered student bulk buy cheap ones.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what Keir Starmer’s absolute support for Israel will do to the vote.

Gone down like a lead balloon with Muslim members apparently.

But then the party is very racist.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Always worth remembering in the midst of this, is the belief amongst many , but never tacitly acknowledged by the Israelis, that they have nuclear capability. 

It's an open secret that they do.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The Jewish populations in the UK are focused on North London (notably Barnet, which has the largest Jewish community in the UK) and Manchester.

Birmingham does have a decent Jewish community, hence Witton having a Jewish Cemetery, but there's not a massive community (not that there are massive Jewish communities anywhere outside of Israel and New York) and it's not of the most visible orthodox community. I worked with a Jewish person in the city for a while, the only reason I knew was because they told me, but you'd never have known otherwise, they weren't practising in any way but told me about having had to go to a Jewish take on Sunday school and so on.

I also lived in a house at uni that, over the summer, was used for holiday lets which was rented by a Jewish family. We found this out when we were told our house had 'a Jewish fridge' - basically an orthodox Jewish family would rent the house for a month for a holiday and would replace the fridge with a brand new one and just leave it, so when we moved back in we had a slightly better fridge than the normal knackered student bulk buy cheap ones.

I think we have two synagogues in Birmingham and one Jewish school, that I know of, King David in Kings Heath/Moseley. 

23 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

It’ll be interesting to see what Keir Starmer’s absolute support for Israel will do to the vote.

I think your average white van driver will be firmly behind him, and you can add all the black cab drivers to that lot too.

36 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gone down like a lead balloon with Muslim members apparently.

But then the party is very racist.

They lost control of Merthyr council yesterday due to resignation. Nine quite in Glasgow today.

30 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think we have two synagogues in Birmingham and one Jewish school, that I know of, King David in Kings Heath/Moseley. 

King Davids is a Jewish school, but takes children of all faiths, 40% of the children that attend are Jewish.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

King Davids is a Jewish school, but takes children of all faiths, 40% of the children that attend are Jewish.

I wonder what the atomosphere is like amongst the pupils right now, tense, to say the least. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think it's safe to say when you say "all faiths", you would be hard pressed to find a muslim attending there. 

You really should do a quick google search before writing such stuff.

Hezbollah gave the IDF a lot more of a black eye than they were expecting last time they had a proper war - but Israel also flattened enough of Lebanon that Hezbollah may not want to start another war, even if Iran want them to (Lebanon isn’t in the greatest shape right now economically).

There’s two ways to look at the situation. The first is that Hezbollah is exchanging fire with Israel and causing enough trouble to look like they’re taking the fight to Israel, but they’re deliberately keeping it low key enough that it doesn’t escalate to proper war. And Israel is only too happy to oblige.

The more sinister reading is that Hezbollah is just waiting for Israel to commit itself in Gaza before they attack the other side of the country. These concerns are allegedly one of the reasons why Israel hasn’t gone into Gaza yet.

Clearing out Gaza is going to involve committing a LOT of troops so I’m not sure how the IDF would fare against Hezbollah if they’re fighting on two fronts. Depends on lots of variables like how depleted the Israeli munition stocks are, how much of the IDF is in Gaza, whether an uprising starts in the West Bank, whether the 150,000 rockets Hezbollah apparently has are for actually attacking Israel or just as deterrence against anyone attacking the Iranian nuclear program, etc. Makes it impossible to predict.

My worry is that if there is a wider war and the US gets involved, are they then attacking Iran? If so then you’ve got to feel the US is pretty stretched between Ukraine and the Middle East. Might China decide that’s a great time to take a swing at Taiwan? It’s unlikely as a lot of bad things would need to happen in sequence for it to actually happen, but this being the spark for some kind of WW3 doesn’t seem impossible.

Edited by Panto_Villan

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

More than Jews apparently. A fine example of what a multi racial city Birmingham is, even if I am a little shocked at that fact.

From 2018
According to parents and community observers, 80 percent of the students are Muslim. The school declined to comment.

12 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Hezbollah gave the IDF a lot more of a black eye than they were expecting last time they had a proper war - but Israel also flattened enough of Lebanon that Hezbollah may not want to start another war, even if Iran want them to (Lebanon isn’t in the greatest shape right now economically).

There’s two ways to look at the situation. The first is that Hezbollah is exchanging fire with Israel and causing enough trouble to look like they’re taking the fight to Israel, but they’re deliberately keeping it low key enough that it doesn’t escalate to proper war. And Israel is only too happy to oblige.

The more sinister reading is that Hezbollah is just waiting for Israel to commit itself in Gaza before they attack the other side of the country. These concerns are allegedly one of the reasons why Israel hasn’t gone into Gaza yet.

Clearing out Gaza is going to involve committing a LOT of troops so I’m not sure how the IDF would fare against Hezbollah if they’re fighting on two fronts. Depends on lots of variables like how depleted the Israeli munition stocks are, how much of the IDF is in Gaza, whether an uprising starts in the West Bank, whether the 150,000 rockets Hezbollah apparently has are for actually attacking Israel or just as deterrence against anyone attacking the Iranian nuclear program, etc. Makes it impossible to predict.

My worry is that if there is a wider war and the US gets involved, are they then attacking Iran? If so then you’ve got to feel the US is pretty stretched between Ukraine and the Middle East. Might China decide that’s a great time to take a swing at Taiwan? It’s unlikely as a lot of bad things would need to happen in sequence for it to actually happen, but this being the spark for some kind of WW3 doesn’t seem impossible.

The US are full time engaged in descalating this situation, if it goes beyond the current Palestine - Israel contretemps it could become anything.

Just now, fruitvilla said:

From 2018
According to parents and community observers, 80 percent of the students are Muslim. The school declined to comment.

Primary school. I actually thought it was a senior school. I would imagine with the pupils being so young it's a lot easier for the teachers to create a certain amount of harmony. 

80.per cent, I  think that's a reflection of how small the Birmingham Jewish community is.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Hope we dont get involved, its really not a good time to be  kicking off, with Rishi as Prime minister and Grant ***ing Shapps as defence minister.

You can guarantee if the Yanks are in, then just like Iraq, we'll kow - tow along.

Â