Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel TV is going to be undergoing some big changes it seems like. The head of the TV arm of the business, Jeph Loeb, is on the way out and Feige, the mastermind behind the movie studios success, has been installed as the company's overall creative head, meaning he basically is steering Marvel's creative direction across all their output from now on.

This should mean that even the stuff that doesn't end up on Disney+ will be cohesive with the rest of the MCU. Whether that counts for the stuff they're already in production on, like Helstrom, is up for debate. I'd guess no and also that that show, for instance, is not going to be long lived (not that it was ever going to be anyway).

It also looks like Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's long time president and colossal clearing in the woods (he's a huge Trump fan who's reign at the company has been legendary for it treating most writers terribly unless they had garnered enough of a reputation at the company to have some power, for obscene underinvestment (refusing to pay for basic office supplies level stuff), and for being a spoiler on the business - it was only after Feige managed to persuade Disney to exclude him from the movie studio decisions that things like Black Panther got off the ground. Now Feige is effectively nicking a bunch of his power to dictate the company direction, he'll likely be pushed out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

Cloak and Dagger cancelled.

The TV cull ongoing...

Was always going to happen. Feige will want no programs running so that everything now going out is part of his ideas (Helstrom rumoured to be cancelled before release). It will mean that tv programs will come more cannon for movie as at present I think it’s only been agents of shield with a direct link and even then that’s only Coulsen with no tie in  story lines (I’ve not watched but I think that’s right). 

• 1 month later...

Looking better than I expected. Then again the more grounded find have been done of the best stuff they've done imo so perhaps it's no surprise.

I wish Taskmaster was more comic accurate still :(

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Looking better than I expected. Then again the more grounded find have been done of the best stuff they've done imo so perhaps it's no surprise.

I wish Taskmaster was more comic accurate still :(

Who in the comics is taskmasters usual opponents? Is it black widow or have they changed it for the MCU? Is it possible like red skull we could see the character again in the MCU/TV series?

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Who in the comics is taskmasters usual opponents? Is it black widow or have they changed it for the MCU? Is it possible like red skull we could see the character again in the MCU/TV series?

He's not really in anyone's rogues gallery, he pops up everywhere. He's been a hero (and antihero) more than once as well. He fits best against characters who don't have overtly supernatural abilities so he's often up against the likes of Cap or Hawkeye. He fits into a Black Widow movie pretty well. His power is 'photographic reflexes' - he can learn an opponent's fighting style or skills near instantly and then use that knowledge to predict his opponent's moves. Which means he's basically a master of any form of combat. His classic look was a reflection of this - he typically has a shield like Cap, a bow like Hawkeye and a sword like the Black Knight.

I suspect the MCU version will be a little different. I wouldn't be shocked if he's a one and done villain sadly.

• Thanks 1

I think we’ll see a different approach from Marvel with this one, showing again that they don’t need to stick to the same old “super hero “ format. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is run in reverse chronological order, memento esque

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The way they deal with the elephant in the room will make or break the film

Reveal hidden contents

She’s dead...

setting it in 2017 as rumoured does not a lot for me

It's set after Civil War, basically filling in what Black Widow did after that story, 

13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The way they deal with the elephant in the room will make or break the film

Reveal hidden contents

She’s dead...

setting it in 2017 as rumoured does not a lot for me

Could have said that was Endgame spoilers. I havent seen it yet.

Feige confirms that the Marvel TV division is dead. Anything they want to keep is being brought into the Studios wing, and everything else has been canned.

Also he threw the existing stuff under the bus, saying the stuff on Disney+ will be the first TV series that tie into the MCU. So all those little nods and appearances from MCU characters are not canon. Obviously the Defenders stuff only had the merest glimpse of a connection to the films but still, odd to see Feige kill them so definitively.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel Radcliffe is supposedly in the running to play Moon Knight.

Yeah... No. 

Radcliffe is a decent actor, better now than he ever was in the Potter series, but he's still not all that and he's certainly not right for Marc Spector. Radcliffe has never had to play the kind of character he is. Spector is a hard man, but not obviously so. He's indomitable, vicious, uncompromising when he fights - he's described as the kind of guy that will take a punch rather than block it, who will accept getting hurt to benefit in the long run. I can't see that in Radcliffe, I could never believe him as the kind of guy that smash a thugs face with his head.

He might be able to portray elements of Spector. One of the defining things about him is he's nuts. Properly nuts. He has multiple personalities, that in some cases live their own very different lives. And what is or is not real is unclear. This means at times he appears paranoid, desperate, harried, when he's not in costume. That's in Radcliffe's wheelhouse, but still, I don't see him having the ability to play that paranoia in the same character that seconds later will be beating people with billy clubs.

Realistic ideal casting is someone like Ben Barnes. He looks a lot like Spector for a start, and he has a good range - you can see him being a mean bastard but not a physically imposing figure, and also a mentally vulnerable guy. Interestingly he's said he's spoken to Marvel about a role... Obviously he's already appeared to great effect in the Punisher series, but now that's on the scrap heap I'd be very happy to see him suit up as the Fist of Khonshu.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Christian Bale confirmed for thor four

Being from kiddy that is said for for for 

Random speculation for who he might be playing has the leading candidates as Thor's uncle Cul, god of fear, Beta Ray Bill, Balder and Dario Agger, CEO of Marvel's go to evil corporation Roxxon, who happens to also be a minotaur.

Cul I don't know much about beyond the basics. He's Odin's brother who was cast out, he has the usual Asgardian powers alongside magic and he can consume fear. I could see Bale in a vengeful god role... But is another family member villain. We might have gone back to that well to often too quickly.

Beta Ray Bill is one of the weirder characters in Thor's mythos. He's the genetically modified 'champion' of a race of aliens who initially fought Thor due to a misunderstanding, but when it's revealed he's actually a good guy whose valour matches that of Thor, he's basically granted all the powers of Thor and becomes for all intents and purposes a horse faced alien Thor. Bill is heavily rumoured to appear in Thor 4 (after an Easter egg in Ragnarok), although they'll probably ditch his full origin. If Bale plays him it'll be a mocap and voice performance, and would seem to be a bit of a waste of his talents. He's also likely a recurring character which I don't see Bale agreeing to.

Balder is Thor's brother. He's not that interesting, probably less interesting than the mythologically version. He has the usual Asgardian powers and is pretty much invulnerable to harm, with 1 exception - mistletoe can kill him. I believe he's had an increased role in the recent Jason Aaron run of the comic that the film is supposedly taking inspiration from. Might be a decent fit for Bale with no doubt an unexpected villainous turn.

Dario Agger is really new character, again from the Aaron run. He's a psychopathic businessman, the boss of Marvel's favourite evil corp, who is himself just evil. Oh and he can turn into a minotaur with incredible strength. He's the first threat faced by the Jane Foster iteration of Thor, who we know is going to appear in this film, so would make sense. Bale can do psycho businessman in his sleep, and as a violation it's certainly a one and done role for him. On the downside... Bale's breakout role is Patrick Bateman. He's done the crazy businessman thing before, and this is a bit too... trite as a result. Secondly, ultimately the character is an evil got in a suit who can turn into a minotaur. That feels a bit of a comedown from the villains we're used to, and the minotaur thing feels a bit cheap.

But all in all, it's Bale, he's a great presence in nearly anything. Having him on board is a boon, and it'll be good to see him playing a classic style villain (most likely). 

In other news Dr Strange 2 has lost its director, Scott Derrickson, over creative differences. Seems amicable as he's retaining a producer role. He was quite open about wanting to up the horror with the sequel and with the obvious Lovecraft nods in the title you felt that might happen a little at least. But no it looks like Marvel have a different bar for horror. Shouldn't make that much difference all in all.

26 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In other news Dr Strange 2 has lost its director, Scott Derrickson, over creative differences. Seems amicable as he's retaining a producer role. He was quite open about wanting to up the horror with the sequel and with the obvious Lovecraft nods in the title you felt that might happen a little at least. But no it looks like Marvel have a different bar for horror. Shouldn't make that much difference all in all.

Apparently he's involved in the Snowpiercer TV-series that's out sometime this year.

Not read the comic but thought the film was pretty decent.

Â