Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

I really hope they do X-Men in a different timeline or different universe or whatever. I'd hate for them to compromise the backstories of the X-Men characters for the sake of shoehorning them into the current MCU setup. It's bad for both groups and I don't see how even the brilliant team who brought 22 movies together can get another couple of dozen characters in naturally.

Also as others have stated, Wolverine needs to be short. He doesn't need to be 5'3 but cast someone like Dave Franco or Scott Caan or Emile Hirsch, who are well under 6'0.

It's probably a few years away anyway, as they'll need to give the current X-Men movies some time to breathe and be forgotten before they start their own.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-Man: Far from Home reviews are out and have it pegged as a fun epilogue to Endgame. Apparently plays with teen romance tropes more than expected and is supposedly hard to discuss without spoilers. One common thought seems to be your mileage will vary depending on how you to take to the interpretation of Mysterio, which raises my hackles a little... Also it seems that the post credit scenes, one in particular, are unusually important this time for where the series is going next. Hmm.

In other MCU news the Black Widow film is currently being shot and some set pictures seem to reveal who a villain will be

Spoiler

Taskmaster. A guy wearing a modern take on a mash up of his classic and Udon looks was seen in what appeared to be a car chase sequence. The costume looks... well .. bad, but they always do early on. 

Taskmaster is an underrated villain, and does fit a Black Widow movie, but it would have been nice to see him take on the bigger names as well, even if only as a side villain.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Spider-Man: Far From Home, and it was a good ‘wrap up’ of phase 3. 

We went IMAX 3-D and I’m really glad we did, some of the action was brilliant and the scenes in London were as good as anything in Infinity War/End game IMO. Despite being grounded on earth, it was more spectacular than the space stuff in places

As is par for the course with Marvel, most of the jokes land and they got the tone spot on. 

The story itself was pretty good and the ‘twist/misdirection’ was handled pretty well. It’s hard to feel any threat is credible so soon after Thanos, but it was pretty well done overall. 

It’s not without flaws and it doesn’t hit the heights of Guardians 1, Civil War or the last two Avengers films, but it’s a proper solid addition to the ongoing universe and Tom Holland is a brilliant Spidey. 

That post-credit scene......

Spoiler

Interesting and not at all what I expected. I thought we might see a tease of a potential new super-villain or a connection to one of the other Avengers. 

It’s secret invasion, in reverse. Not sure if it’s some clever MCU misdirection, but interesting to see where it leads. 

We should know a bit more after the Comic-Con announcements later this month. 

Exciting times for Marvel fans.  

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

Saw Spiderman Far From Home last night, average for me. I think I've been spoilt by Infinity War & Endgame, with the bar being set so high.

I saw a poster in New York right before the end that said something along the lines "Phases 1 - 2 - 3 complete, just wait what we have coming next" Did anyone else spot this??

Just back from Far From Home. I enjoyed it. But then I like the Spider-Man character. My friend who came with me wasn’t too impressed, but then he did admit because he was still in “Endgame” mode, which obviously it’s never going to be. 

Thought Gyllenhall as Mysterio was good and Holland as ever lands Spider-Man.

Spoiler

2 post credits, one sets up third Spider-Man film. Other one does set up the next arc, how long has Fury been away? 

Just saw it very good, I think Marvel in recent movies have upped the game with the villains as it was a major weakness. Definite like this Peter/MJ combo compared to Maguire/Dunst version who were quite annoying.

On another note is Maria Hill the most pointless character in Marvel films, she never really gets anything to do especially in terms of plot

22 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hide contents

2 post credits, one sets up third Spider-Man film. Other one does set up the next arc, how long has Fury been away? 

Spoiler

5 years 

tenor.gif

Chuffed we’re getting another Waititi helmed Thor. 

I loved Ragnorak, it’s one of my favourites.

I’m still hoping we get a bit of ‘Asguardians of the Galaxy’ in either this or Guardians 3, but as long as we see more of this guy, I’m good. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11236441

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Chuffed we’re getting another Waititi helmed Thor. 

I loved Ragnorak, it’s one of my favourites.

I’m still hoping we get a bit of ‘Asguardians of the Galaxy’ in either this or Guardians 3, but as long as we see more of this guy, I’m good. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11236441

The Fortnite scene in Endgame killed me.

• Like 1

I finally saw Far from Home last night.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. If you know anything about the characters it revolves around it's predictable as all ****, to the extent the plot was obvious from the first trailer, but it was done quite well and I enjoyed it all in all. It nearly through me off the scent at one point I was nearly holding my head in my hands about where it might have been about to go, but thankfully it quickly shows it's hand and gets things back on track. Some good action, very funny, another good villain (not quite as sinister as the Vulture - Keaton's talk to Peter in the car in Homecoming isn't bettered here) given a nicely faithful take... Good stuff. My one issue is they really need to get off the Stark praise trail. There's too much of Parker being a Iron Man surrogate, when he's actually fully capable himself and doesn't need a tech suit and what not (and thank **** they ditched that bloody hideous Iron Spider suit quickly).

Two very good credit scenes, one a nice set up for the future of Spider-Man (plus the ultimate cameo), the other somewhere between a tease of ideas of where they're going and/or a clever gag.

• Like 1

SDCC is this weekend and Marvel will be back after a years absence, and I can only assume they're going to do a blowout of announcements. We know Black Widow is being filmed with Taskmaster as a villain, Eternals is coming with very strong casting rumours rampant, Shang-chi is being worked on fit that sweet sweet East Asian dollar, plus there's a bunch of sequels on the way at some point - Dr Strange 2, Black Panther 2, GotG3, Captain Marvel 2...

I sincerely hope they're going to nod at some new properties as well this stuff we know about. By which of course I mean Moon Knight.

GIVE US MOON KNIGHT MARVEL. YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD. DO IT.

Â