Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

4 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I know nothing about Moon Knight... what to expect?

Moon Knight is the alter ego of Marc Spector, a mercenary who is critically injured on a job in Egypt. He falls in front of a statue to the god Khonshu, the Egyptian moon god, who appears to Spector as he lays dying and offers him a chance to live, as Knonshu's avatar on earth. He accepts and becomes Moon Knight, a protector of night travelers and figure of vengeance. However, the resurrection also slowly drives him insane, to the extent he has a completely split personality - there is Spector, Moon Knight, and 2 other alter egos, a rich man and a taxi driver. Initially those were cover stories for him but as he went mad those personalities more or less lead their own lives and at times it's not clear what is and isn't real.

Moon Knight has no powers (he used to, but that was thankfully retconned years ago). He's physically fit and strong, but not supernaturally so, he's trained in many combat styles, but will get injured like a normal man. He has access to a variety of tools and gadgets, most notably a billy club that doubles as a staff and a grappling hook, has often used crescent moon shaped throwing stars, and also used a large version as a dagger/knife. His usual outfit is a suit that offers physical protection, but particularly recently he's also worn an ancient 'mystical' suit and, most infamously, a simple 3 piece white suit with mask. He also has access to a variety of mystical objects to battle more supernatural threats.

That reads a lot like Batman, and the criticism of the character has long been that he's a Batman knock-off - night time vigilante with no powers reliant on gadgets. They're quite different though. Moon Knight has often dealt with overtly supernatural threats - his first appearance had him fighting a werewolf iirc, and his rogues gallery is heavily based around mystical gimmicks, unlike Batman's gangsters with a theme. Moon Knight also had heavily leant into the character being, well, nuts. A recent comic storyline was literally him trying to work out what was and was not real in his head, who he actually is and also trying to deal with his apparently being beholden to a god that didn't necessarily care for his well-being at all.

In recent times, certainly since the excellent Ellis run, he's become more brutal, it's implied he enjoys the violence he dishes out and is mostly unfazed by getting hurt. His recent comics are more adult and more violent. Moon Knight will be shown getting harmed, bloodied, and his opponent will also be shown getting hurt much more than many comics would.

You can do a lot with the character. The Ellis run, which revitalised the character, is 6 issues but none of them are alike. The 6 jump from what is basically a take on the Raid, where Moon Knight literally batters his way through an apartment building, to a completely psychedelic story which sees him pretty much fighting mind ghosts.

He's a great character.

Some panels from recent issues

killer-vigilante-who-talks-to-god-148105

rstcobcylhyk3i7w3wuo.png

Moon-Knight-14-page-18.jpg

Moon%20KnightFight.jpg

moon_knight.jpg

Moon-Knight-Khonshu.jpg

nn6eqkxb6v0z.jpg

mk2-600x598.jpg?x70969

ghostpunch-thumb-500x768-534172.jpg

moon-600x731.png

DNfjdB9.jpg

It does help that the art in the recent runs has been excellent.

I do line the Mr Knight look, but my favourite is the modern black and white tech suit, to the extent I've got a long project to make a figure in this style.

• 2 weeks later...

This is still probably the best action scene in the MCU

I always assumed that a lot of this scene, particularly the stuff with Black Panther, was CGI'd to ****, because a lot of it has clearly been tinkered with. Black Panther looks fake, even though the CGI is very good. Things like his landing from the (real) slide down the building don't look right, and the super speed running.

Turns out, basically everything in this scene is legit. Real stunts. CGI was only used to hide stunt equipment and make Black Panther's costume look correct. Even the super speed running is a real thing - they're running on a sheet pulled behind a car. Even the final leap Panther makes to bring down the bike is real.

There's something quite funny about the stunt team going through all this effort to do some really good action, and then the CGI team trying to hide the wires and, more notably, sort out costumes, end up making it look fake.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoop whoop! 

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a29265671/spider-man-3-mcu-return-marvel-sony/

It seemed as though the door was closed, but Spider-Man is officially continuing in the MCU with a third movie.

The announcement was jointly made today (September 27) by Sony Pictures Entertainment and The Walt Disney Studios, ending weeks of concern for Spider-Man fans about Tom Holland's future as the webslinger.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Austen and Sydney Lemmon have been cast as Daimon and Ana Helstrom, and Elizabeth Marvel as Victoria Helstrom, their mother.

Nope, me neither. Don't know any of them.

This'll be shit.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Tom Austen and Sydney Lemmon have been cast as Daimon and Ana Helstrom, and Elizabeth Marvel as Victoria Helstrom, their mother.

Nope, me neither. Don't know any of them.

This'll be shit.

Is it MCU?

sounds like they're ghost rider characters, didn't ghost rider just get cancelled?

1st thing that came to my head was lucifer, then preacher, then good omens, then sabrina...devil spawn on earth stuff is seemingly flavour of the month

Â