Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

SDCC is this weekend and Marvel will be back after a years absence, and I can only assume they're going to do a blowout of announcements. We know Black Widow is being filmed with Taskmaster as a villain, Eternals is coming with very strong casting rumours rampant, Shang-chi is being worked on fit that sweet sweet East Asian dollar, plus there's a bunch of sequels on the way at some point - Dr Strange 2, Black Panther 2, GotG3, Captain Marvel 2...

I sincerely hope they're going to nod at some new properties as well this stuff we know about. By which of course I mean Moon Knight.

GIVE US MOON KNIGHT MARVEL. YOU KNOW IT'S GOOD. DO IT.

Rumours of TV plans now the Netflix stuff has gone? And legion is finishing

Leaves them with agents, cloak and dagger, not sure what else 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Rumours of TV plans now the Netflix stuff has gone? And legion is finishing

Leaves them with agents, cloak and dagger, not sure what else 

The TV stuff is a mess.

I expect we'll see more details of what exactly they're planning with Disney+ stuff.

The other TV stuff, AoS, Cloak and Dagger, Runaways, is handled by the other arm of the company and will probably have it's own panel over the weekend. They announced new series a few months back - new Ghost Rider and Helstrom series.

Legion is dead, wasn't MCU and X-Men stuff will be put on ice for a while.

Iron Man 4  Far From Home was a fun palate cleanser and I really liked how they handled Mysterio. I never read Marvel comics as a kid (I was a Dredd /2000 AD reader) but Holland is as close to my idea of what Spiderman is as you can probably get.  

I wonder how many people got the Netherland shirt joke ?😀

• Like 2

@Chindie apparently there seems to be talk with Sony and Marvel about Spider-Man. People seem to think that this may mean, the Maguire Spider-Man may come into MCU and that it’s possible a multiverse. Also there is talk about Venom becoming cannon as well, again in a different universe 

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

@Chindie apparently there seems to be talk with Sony and Marvel about Spider-Man. People seem to think that this may mean, the Maguire Spider-Man may come into MCU and that it’s possible a multiverse. Also there is talk about Venom becoming cannon as well, again in a different universe 

The only way I can see them rectifying the disaster that is the X Men timeline is by stealing characters from alternate realities. It would allow the option to bring back actors or recast,

3 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

The only way I can see them rectifying the disaster that is the X Men timeline is by stealing characters from alternate realities. It would allow the option to bring back actors or recast,

I hadn’t mentioned any of the X Men.

Personally, I think they’ll do a complete new relaunch of those characters, they are far too well known in their current iteration. Even Jackman who has been great as Wolverine gets tarred with some awful films.

I think they’ll wait at least 5 yrs before going onto the X Men stuff. Fantastic Four may come sooner though. 

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony and Marvel work more closely together but I don't see the Raimi series being subsumed at all. There will continue to be easter eggs for fans but that's it. There's no point doing anything more than that, the series is dead. I suspect the Spider-Man villains universe Sony is working on will intentionally be kept slightly seperate from anything Marvel is doing to give the breathing room to maybe tie in and maybe stay seperate. Of course there's also the ultimate fact that Spider-Man is Sony's character to do with as they like as far as we know. If in a couple of years Sony want to take the Holland Spidey and have him take on Venom, then there's unlikely much Marvel can do.

I don't think they will seriously go into the multiverse and I'll be delighted if they don't. If fans want to fan theory it all unofficially themselves, cool, bit for now... Nah.

The biggest reveal that might come out at SDCC would be a new F4 movie. But if that happens they've kept it very, very quiet.

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

I hadn’t mentioned any of the X Men.

Personally, I think they’ll do a complete new relaunch of those characters, they are far too well known in their current iteration. Even Jackman who has been great as Wolverine gets tarred with some awful films.

I think they’ll wait at least 5 yrs before going onto the X Men stuff. Fantastic Four may come sooner though. 

I know but you were talking about how alternate universes could be used to tie all the various studio outputs together.

I was just suggesting that this could also be used for X -Men integration into the MCU.

I'm not that fussed as long as Ryan Reynolds turns up at some point.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2019 at 18:11, Zatman said:

On another note is Maria Hill the most pointless character in Marvel films, she never really gets anything to do especially in terms of plot

Just kinda Smulders in the background.

Eternals coming November 2020. Cast rumours were seemingly on the money. Villain to be Gilgamesh, played by Ma Dong-seok of Train to Busan fame. The Eternals aren't my strongest suit in the Marvel canon but of what I know, this will be weird. Gilgamesh is a bloody shit villain though - in the comics he's on the weaker end of villainous. Cool casting though.

Shang-chi and the 10 Rings is to follow in February 2021. It's going to deal with the real Mandarin, and tie together hints from the very beginning of the series (aka all those references to the Mandarin they didn't use for anything but references as Easter eggs are going to be tied in. And don't think about Iron Man 3...). Title role goes to Simu Liu, who I've never heard of, but he's of East Asian descent and **** ripped so if he can do some martial arts he's gold. Tony Leung, who is a huge actor in Chinese cinema, is playing the Mandarin it seems 

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is going to feature Daniel Bruhl's Zemo as the villain, and he'll be in the traditional mask.

WandaVision series is going to be weird.

Loki series will feature the Endgame 2012 Loki on the run it appears.

Doctor Strange 2 is 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness'. Poor title. Derrickson claims it'll be the first scary MCU title. We'll see. (Really, really, really don't like the multiverse for this series. Contain it to this film for the love of all that is holy). Scarlet Witch will feature in the film and it will tie to WandaVision. Rumor was this film would feature Strange going up against Nightmare, which would fit. With that title I expect this to be Lovecraft-tastic. Should work with Strange.

The What If...? series is going to be an animated anthology with various actors reprising their roles. Peggy Carter as a hero shown - Union Jack or a female Cap. Jeffrey Wright will play the Watcher, presumably he'll form the narrative device for the series.

Hawkeye series seemingly inspired by Matt Fraction's lauded Hawkeye run is coming. Will feature the Kate Bishop incarnation of Hawkeye.

Thor: Love and Thunder is the title of the next Thor film. Logo is very 80s, very He-Man. Clearly early days. Looks like they are doing Jane Foster Lady Thor... Portman was on stage with Mjolnir. That'll go down like a lead balloon for a lot of people.

Black Widow cast confirmed with Florence Pugh, Rachel Weiss and David Harbour... Prequel filling in Natasha's backstory. Money on David Harbour playing Taskmaster? I'd guess pretty safe.

GotG3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, F4 and X-Men confirmed as on the way, plus a surprise - Blade, with Mahershala Ali. That should be fun. Also would completely consign the Netflix stuff to the bin of the canon, as expected, given Ali has already played a villain. Wouldn't be the first actor to do double appearances across the films and Netflix, but would be the first to have major roles in each. Interesting that these films, certainly the sequels, should be bankers, but they're not even on the confirmed schedule it seems. Weird that there pushing other stuff first. Unless they drop these titles in over the coming years - the confirmed stuff sees us through 2022.

Not quite the barnstormer I expected in truth but definitely some interesting stuff. I'll gladly take Blade coming back, the Dr Strange sequel should be one of the most interesting things they've done, there's potential in Black Widow, if only for Taskmaster, Shang-chi might be good. I'm fairly lukewarm on everything else. Eternals don't have a place in my heart and of the stuff I know it easily could fall apart. Not bothered about the Disney+ stuff - the highlight of that is Bruhl's return as Zemo, but I don't really care about Bucky or Sam. The rest? Shrug. I'm not that buzzed about the Thor film on this early concept stuff. I'm not a huge fan of Lady Thor (although I understand others are and the Aaron run she comes from is well liked), I kinda don't care much about Valkyrie.

So yeah... Hmm. If Marvel are going to wobble again, it's in this run.

As expected it confirms for me that I'm firmly out from this.

Never heard of these characters and while there will of course be big budget block busters movies it doesn't interest me.

Will likely end up seeing some of them when they hit the internet but they'll likely have to make actual good movies for people to keep coming back.

Focusing on asian names is probably smart from money standpoint 

As long as they make money they'll continue I guess.

Not sure I like the disney+ the ins almost forcing me to watch it (even though i probably would anyway)

I'm more interested in the new stuff I've no clue about, Sam and bucky, Scarlett witch and vision, black widow, Hawkeye not really fussed about

Eternals cast tells you where marvel are right now, incredible draw, getting tony leung is great too (Infernal affairs is the start of foreign cinema for me)

Ever so slightly underwhelmed with the Phase 4 line-up, mainly because it just confirms what we already knew, with Blade being the only real surprise. 

They’ve held back a fair amount imo. Feige has previously said they wouldn’t reveal things to the extent they did in the lead-up to IW/End Game, because they felt it took away from some of the movies in the run. 

There are some interesting bits - like how the Dr Strange film will set up ‘Wanda-Vision’ and will the Eternals/Shang-Chi be standalone, or will they be the start of another wider arc across multiple films? 

Fantastic 4, GOTG3, Black Panther 2 all confirmed to follow as well. 

I’m still buzzed about where they take the whole thing, but there wasn’t a ‘wow’ moment from the reveal imo. 

Apparently Black widow will take place in the timeframe after Civil War when she lets Cap and Bucky go. Seems an odd place to put the story, you’d have thought it would be before she is an avenger. No doubt Feige has some masterplan how it will all unravel 

Â