Strong City

villab0y

And, could someone of you answer my question; I'm a decent person, a good person many would even say but I reject the idea of God and regard myself as an atheist - am I going to heaven or hell?

Why would you care?

I don't care, I know I'll just be dead anyway, but I'm trying to make a logical argument about the concept of heaven/hell in a religion where god is omnipotent.

Hello Terry, Beth, and Hanifa...

I am new to this thread. It's interesting stuff.

I have a few questions (and my humble apologies if you have answered these questions previously... this is a rather long thread and I have not read each response word for word. If you have answered these questions, pls direct me to the answer rather than taking the effort to re-type... thanks!)

I was dining this evening with a doctor who works for one of the world's foremost psychiatric hospitals.

He told me that I would be

astounded by the number of patients who believe that they are a Messiah [unquote]. He said that at least one quarter of the long term patients in the hospital believe themselves to be the son/daughter of God or believe themselves to be a prophet (of one of the world's major religions).

My questions are as follows:

Why should we believe that Michael is indeed the Messiah?

If there are so many people proclaiming to be the Messiah, what particular features distinguish Michael from the patients of this hospital?

Obviously you cannot speak for these psychiatric patients that you do not know, but to the "unbeliever" it is very difficult to distinguish... what proof would you require (or did you require) in order to believe that any person proclaiming to be a Messiah was indeed who they said they were?

Do you think that society today generates a propensity for the afore-mentioned mentally ill people to proclaim themselves to be a Messiah? Or do you believe that society is at fault for declaring such people as mentally ill when they are not?

Why should we believe that Michael is indeed the Messiah?

If there are so many people proclaiming to be the Messiah, what particular features distinguish Michael from the patients of this hospital?

...what proof would you require (or did you require) in order to believe that any person proclaiming to be a Messiah was indeed who they said they were?

Do you think that society today generates a propensity for the afore-mentioned mentally ill people to proclaim themselves to be a Messiah? Or do you believe that society is at fault for declaring such people as mentally ill when they are not?

Hello NP

Every human being hears a voice and follows it, no matter what they call it.

Also, every human being is messiah-ed (anointed) for a specific purpose and work. All a man can do is to heed that inner voice and do that anointed work.

As far as Michael's Messiah-ship, you can explore the depths of it here.

May all of you be true to your True Self for there is no other God besides Him.

... where god is omnipotent.

They say God is omni-present. This of course means that he could not play football.

Why?

Because if he is omni-present, then he is everywhere. And if he is everywhere, then he's offside. Oi, Lino! OFFSIDE!

I hope this has added something beneficial to the theological/bonkers cult debate.

... where god is omnipotent.

They say God is omni-present. This of course means that he could not play football.

Why?

Because if he is omni-present, then he is everywhere. And if he is everywhere, then he's offside. Oi, Lino! OFFSIDE!

I hope this has added something beneficial to the theological/bonkers cult debate.

But he couldn't be offside because that's a man-made law and wouldn't apply to him (well not if he decided it shouldn't).

Potentially, then, the world's greatest goalhanger?

Yeah but he'd forgive us and all that wouldn't he surely?

I'm not sure. By some accounts on this thread the forgiving god is a bit of a human misconception.

These accounts are backed up with solid proof I take it?

:winkold:

I never went near this thread, thought it was just some religious argument.

Having a gander back thorugh, one of the cult-ies joins!! That's funny. Over 100 posts as well.

:shock:

Re; door-to-door god botherers...

My old mum used to tell them we were all Mormons. Inevitably she came nearly unstuck one day when some real Mormons showed up. Just in time she noticed the little badges and changed her spiel to "Muslims".
I always used to tell them I was a Satanist. Worth it for the look on their faces just before I shut the door.

Although I did make the mistake of inviting two of them in once - two very good looking girls. Lived to regret it though - they were VERY boring and VERY hard to get rid of.