Football for fun and fitness

jackbauer24

This may be the wrong forum to post this in so please move if so.

I'm seeing if there's any interest on these boards for a regular (weekly) session of football for fun and fitness only? Age and ability are completely irrelevant, only important that you could genuinely commit to a weekly session.

I've been trying to get something going like this for a while but it's hard to get people to commit which then messes it up for everyone and the thing falls to pieces. Probably be looking at a Monday or Thursday night around 7pm or 8pm for an hour. PlayFootball is fairly central (B19 2LF), indoors, loads of free parking and has good facilities, should we get 10 of us together it'd only be £5 per week, if we had a few more it'd mean we have more leeway when life gets in the way and you have to miss the occasional week.

Let me stress I am NOT looking for good players. This will be in no way truly competitive and is purely for people who'd like a five aside kick about with familiar faces (after a while!) and if you're heavily overweight, can't kick a ball in the right direction and generally avoid fitness it might be suitable. I am also a strong advocate for good mental health and think a regular friendly session is good for the mind too so even if you're quiet, unsociable etc then you are fully welcome along in a supportive environment.

All you need is commitment to turning up, probably about £5 for pitch hire, and a pair of trainers (or astro turf trainers if you really want). Reply in this thread for now and if it looks like we're getting any real interest then I'll look about proceeding with something.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Let me stress I am NOT looking for good players. This will be in no way truly competitive and is purely for people who'd like a five aside kick about with familiar faces (after a while!) and if you're heavily overweight, can't kick a ball in the right direction and generally avoid fitness it might be suitable. 

I believe I am 100% your target demographic.

Unfortunately location precludes my involvement. Hope you manage to pull something together. I might join you if I'm ever in Birmingham on a night you're playing.

45 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As a proud founding member I can tell you that team is long gone,a s are most of it's members in terms of a VT presence. In fact I might be the only one left.

But given we produced a Premier League player, I think we served our purpose.

that’s a real legacy. is this on his wiki?

7 hours ago, choffer said:

Unfortunately location precludes my involvement. Hope you manage to pull something together. I might join you if I'm ever in Birmingham on a night you're playing.

Shame! Unfortunately it's not looking overly good at the moment for numbers in general.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

As a proud founding member I can tell you that team is long gone,a s are most of it's members in terms of a VT presence. In fact I might be the only one left.

You might not be actually... 

50 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

B19 ?

You sure you're not recruiting new dealers ?

I'd recruit anyone at the moment!!

Same here, again though it’s a bit far for me but I’d have been up for it was a bit closer, like Cov area.

• Like 1

Same here, again though it’s a bit far for me but I’d have been up for it was a bit closer, like Cov area.

13 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Shame! Unfortunately it's not looking overly good at the moment for numbers in general.

You might not be actually... 

I'd recruit anyone at the moment!!

I'm 37 . The last time I played was Power League almost 5 years ago and I could only play for 5 minutes before walking off to the bar for a pint.

I wish you well.

Just now, Brumerican said:

I'm 37 . The last time I played was Power League almost 5 years ago and I could only play for 5 minutes before walking off to the bar for a pint.

I wish you well.

I'm 37 too, and fitness really doesn't matter at all. Couldn't care less about ability or fitness - it's just a chance for people to do SOMETHING slightly physical and have fun doing it - Gyms are so incredibly boring in my view (and off putting for many) maybe fitness would improve but I'd not expect anyone to be running marathons at the end of it!! Cheers though! 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Who were the other members?

3 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm 37 too, and fitness really doesn't matter at all. Couldn't care less about ability or fitness - it's just a chance for people to do SOMETHING slightly physical and have fun doing it - Gyms are so incredibly boring in my view (and off putting for many) maybe fitness would improve but I'd not expect anyone to be running marathons at the end of it!! Cheers though! 

I'm actually quite fit for a sedentary guy my age . I was in the Army for ten years so there's always a foundation that can be built upon quite quickly. I just can't be dealing with the dead legs that always follow football.

Give us a shout if you want to start a darts or dominoes team.:D

• Haha 1

Â