The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm not sure 

In the ground where things aren't necessarily clear then yeah maybe 

Our penalty shout for Rogers yesterday if that was VAR'd and they said no the defender got the ball then yeah good

But then for their penalty, the ref puts the mic on and says "trip by konsa, penalty" what does that add? 

I'm leaning towards a lot of it being common sense and them shying away from actual explanations, it will be simple say what you see stuff 

I think it's more important for fans to hear the conversation the ref is having with the VAR.

Not necessarily in the stadium, but certainly for fans on TV. 

I've said this before, it would take away SOME of the controversy because you would at least be able to hear the logic the officials are using.

They'd absolutely need to work on the communication and the language used by the officials, because at the moment it's **** chaos. But I think it would benefit the fans

I saw some stats as VAR came int that said the refs (pre-VAR) got something like 97 or 98% of decisions right. 

I said early in that the shitness of VAR is just not worth it to chase after those rare mistakes. All the pauses in play, ruining moments of euphoria, still getting things wrong. Since then it has got worse too.

Whilst it’s annoying when the on field officials get things wrong we do accept that they are human and it’s a very difficult situation. VAR getting things wrong, and all the downsides of it are not even close to being worth it.

I also can’t see it ever going back now, it would forever be “VAR should have checked that” whenever something happens we don’t like. The powers that be NEED to find a way to make it work. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it's more important for fans to hear the conversation the ref is having with the VAR.

Not necessarily in the stadium, but certainly for fans on TV. 

I've said this before, it would take away SOME of the controversy because you would at least be able to hear the logic the officials are using.

They'd absolutely need to work on the communication and the language used by the officials, because at the moment it's **** chaos. But I think it would benefit the fans

I'm not so sure about the openness issue any more. The reason is that the discussion on social media is dominated by the extremes. Reasonable fans are majority, but silent. Everyone is looking for the bad, not the good.

5 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I'm not so sure about the openness issue any more. The reason is that the discussion on social media is dominated by the extremes. Reasonable fans are majority, but silent. Everyone is looking for the bad, not the good.

I just think that "bad" would be decreased if we could hear the logic at the time.

Fans just left guessing because they can't hear anything makes everything worse. People make up mental scenarios to explain why VAR has done what it's done.

If you could hear the discussion you could at least understand the logic even if you completely disagree with it

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I just think that "bad" would be decreased if we could hear the logic at the time.

Fans just left guessing because they can't hear anything makes everything worse. People make up mental scenarios to explain why VAR has done what it's done.

If you could hear the discussion you could at least understand the logic even if you completely disagree with it

I see what you mean and I like transparency in general. I'm sure everything in VaR is made with good intentions. Reality just seems different. 

Interesting stat

"Of the 24 confirmed VAR errors this season, a quarter have related to serious foul play red cards -- five that should have been given, and one rescinded.

The Premier League historically has fewer red cards than the other top European leagues, largely due to the greater physicality. This season, there have been 27 direct reds in the English top flight, that's one every 13.19 games. France has the most with 50 red cards (every 5.7 matches), then Spain (55, 6.06), Germany (29, 9.90) and Serie A (32, 10.84)."

2 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

Well put us down as first team to vote against lol 

Hmm I don’t know, with our high line approach we’re probably better served it being kept in, at least for offside calls anyway.

I mean, I hate it when goals are disallowed because someone’s left testicle is offside but at least offside is objective, it either is or isn’t.

You can't imagine any of the clubs would vote to keep it? Surely? Genuinely surprised it's even going to be a discussion, we've got this far with it I just gathered that'd be it forever now. 

It ruins being in the stadium so much, would happily **** it off. 

• Like 1

I dunno about scrapping it entirely. So many of the problems that VAR has are part of wider, significant issues of the state of refereeing in this country. The rules of the game are as clear as mud (They've changed what handball is several times), the genuinely bizarre and nonsensical rules surrounding when it can and can't be used, and the state of refereeing altogether is the most dire it's ever been. Getting rid of VAR because referees have no idea how to use it effectively is tackling a symptom rather than the root cause.

The problem is that any efforts (if at all) to try and get these referees to be consistent in using VAR clearly hasn't worked...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hmm I don’t know, with our high line approach we’re probably better served it being kept in, at least for offside calls anyway.

I mean, I hate it when goals are disallowed because someone’s left testicle is offside but at least offside is objective, it either is or isn’t.

That's what I meant, voting against the proposal,  semi-automated offsides will make it far better anyway straight off 

Playing with such a high line, wouldn’t scrapping it be bad for us? Countless times we’ve relied on VAR to bail us out of a tight outside. Really not sure what’s best for us here?

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

Playing with such a high line, wouldn’t scrapping it be bad for us? Countless times we’ve relied on VAR to bail us out of a tight outside. Really not sure what’s best for us here?

Semi-Automated Offside Technology is introduced next season so it doesn't matter regarding VAR, superior technology that won't rely on random drawing lines  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Alakagom said:

Semi-Automated Offside Technology is introduced next season so it doesn't matter regarding VAR, superior technology that won't rely on random drawing lines  

Ahh, hadn’t realised, apologies and thank you 👍

Posted (edited)

Investigating and trying to resolve why VAR goal reviews can take *minutes* (which isn't a problem with the VAR system itself at all but those using it and the rules surrounding it) would be a far better use of everyone's time. 

One of its more bizarre implementations is that it can spend minutes going through every single phase of play leading up to a goal but can't quickly suggest that the referee give out yellows that they may have missed (being human and not being all-seeing) is genuinely mindboggling. I think that kind of example shows how the implementation of VAR can mean it leans less into the role of a Video Assistant Referee but a Video Referee at times (especially its role in determining whether goals are valid), which absolutely shouldn't be happening.

I'd definitely get rid of the pitch-side monitor though: it takes up way, way too much time and the fact that the on-field call virtually always gets overturned speaks for itself in how pointless it is for how much time it takes up.

But getting rid of VAR as a whole doesn't solve any underlying issues.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

Just being implemented very poorly. It's supposed to act as a backstop to correct "clear and obvious" errors by the ref and the ARs. Currently it operates as an all seeing God correcting the ref on even subjective calls. If VAR can't quickly determine if an obvious error has been made then either go straight to a pitch side review or play on. 

Posted (edited)

Would be bad for us if it was scraped.

I hope now that offsides will be semi automated that it will remain in some form.

But for subjective things like handballs and penalties then I have no issue with it being scraped. VAR is a complete lottery on those things anyway.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Â