The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think in this case it really isn't subjective. The first angle just shows how maybe the lines are more necessary than we think. He's onside, that first picture definitely makes it look like he isn't

But that is the whole point if Forest score that goal the first angle is used to draw lines and nobody argues it's offside.  However like yesterday the favoured team in loads of games this season they look at other things to try and get another decision.

They have actually changed rules to back up these daft decisions in the past.

If it was a fair game 1 look no slow motion.  Decision in less than 10 seconds then nobody would pick fault in the system.  

They are minupulating it to suit its as clear as day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

But that is the whole point if Forest score that goal the first angle is used to draw lines and nobody argues it's offside.  However like yesterday the favoured team in loads of games this season they look at other things to try and get another decision.

Yeah I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here. The first angle is just perspective. If they'd drawn lines on that angle we'd get the same result. It just looks offside because of the camera angle.

There's a thousand reasons to hate VAR, I don't think that is one of them

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I really think you're barking up the wrong tree here. The first angle is just perspective. If they'd drawn lines on that angle we'd get the same result. It just looks offside because of the camera angle.

There's a thousand reasons to hate VAR, I don't think that is one of them

Maybe but Salah wins pens like the one Forest didn't get every week!

Villa score a legit goal at OT against Utd in The Cup game. The ref gives the goal. They check for offside handball and last of all a foul by Ramsey when Cavani ran into him.

Are you telling me they check all those things if Utd score? Nope it's the first one that looks OK goal given.

It's minupulated to favour the outcome they want.

Yesterday is just another example of the bias.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

last of all a foul by Ramsey when Cavani ran into him.

It wasn't disallowed because of a foul. It was because Ramsey, who started in an offside position was judged to have interfered with Cavani.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Villa score a legit goal at OT against Utd in The Cup game. The ref gives the goal. They check for offside handball and last of all a foul by Ramsey when Cavani ran into him.

Are you telling me they check all those things if Utd score? Nope it's the first one that looks OK goal given.

I don't disagree with any of that. But that doesn't make the two correct decisions yesterday wrong,

28 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It wasn't disallowed because of a foul. It was because Ramsey, who started in an offside position was judged to have interfered with Cavani.

A big problem with the perception of VAR (or any refereeing decisions in general, I guess) is how any initial confusion about the decision is then used as evidence of a wrong decision or some sort of cover up. That decision was clearly a correct one, but because the commentators didn't understand what was going on, to this day people are adamant it was for an innocuous foul.

Edited by Davkaus

4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

They have actually changed rules to back up these daft decisions in the past.

If it was a fair game 1 look no slow motion.  Decision in less than 10 seconds then nobody would pick fault in the system.  

They are minupulating it to suit its as clear as day.

I’m on the same page, mate. VAR is currently allowed a pic ‘n’ mix approach to how they present their offside evidence that reeks of a lack of transparency. Lines / no lines, behind-play camera / in-front of play camera, passer in shot / passer out of shot – the outcome of any marginal decision is effectively whatever they want it to be.

Just look at the Lukaku goal chalked off against Liverpool at Wembley. One terrible camera angle, no lines, and ruled out within 10 seconds – totally different to yesterday. The official answer will always be “We show you the angle that gives the best view” but that is also just another way of saying “We’ll decide which image to keep behind our back.” The whole thing is a classic case of smoke and mirrors, if you ask me. The public will get the proof they’re meant to get. 

As an aside, an ESPN journalist (Dale something) was saying on Twitter yesterday that the reason no line was shown coming down from Jota’s shoulder was that – get this – it had been done in private by VAR, it overlapped the defender’s line, and the official policy is now not to show the second line if there is an overlap. Eh??? Just one more example of the lack of transparency that permeates VAR from top to bottom.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Yesterday is just another example of the bias.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.  Ramsey was given offside for interfering with Cavani, which he did.  It wasn't a foul and they had various things to check at that time.  Even if it was missed initially, the correct decision was made.

Sometimes teams get decisions, sometimes they don't.  There's nothing to suggest that Liverpool would've been awarded a penalty for exactly the same situation as the Yates incident.  Absolutely nothing.  You'll also see plenty of Liverpool fans bemoaning VAR decisions against them - just like every other club (maybe with the exception of Man City).

It's just football fans being football fans.  "We" were all berating the referee during the Arsenal game for not having booked Partey early on when Mings was booked for a clean tackle.  Arsenal fans were berating the same referee for not having booked Cash after several fouls, but booking Xhaka after one.

If one wants to see something to fit their narrative, one can probably find it.

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sorry, but this is nonsense.  Ramsey was given offside for interfering with Cavani, which he did.  It wasn't a foul and they had various things to check at that time.  Even if it was missed initially, the correct decision was made.

Sometimes teams get decisions, sometimes they don't.  There's nothing to suggest that Liverpool would've been awarded a penalty for exactly the same situation as the Yates incident.  Absolutely nothing.  You'll also see plenty of Liverpool fans bemoaning VAR decisions against them - just like every other club (maybe with the exception of Man City).

It's just football fans being football fans.  "We" were all berating the referee during the Arsenal game for not having booked Partey early on when Mings was booked for a clean tackle.  Arsenal fans were berating the same referee for not having booked Cash after several fouls, but booking Xhaka after one.

If one wants to see something to fit their narrative, one can probably find it.

Utd had one against them about 2 weeks ago didn't they for the exact same thing as the Ramsey offside? So I've seen some consistency there recently 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Utd had one against them about 2 weeks ago didn't they for the exact same thing as the Ramsey offside? So I've seen some consistency there recently 

I don’t really follow any other team so not sure what incident that was. They had someone blocking a runner going to where the ball was heading?

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I don’t really follow any other team so not sure what incident that was. They had someone blocking a runner going to where the ball was heading?

Sorry no it wasn't utd, it was Liverpool in the cup final, van dijk was offside and blocked a defender 

• Like 2

Might as well bin off VAR. All it does is stop the flow of a game, without actually reducing the number of refereeing / linesman errors.

If we score a goal they spend minutes trying to find a reason not to give it. If a Liverpool or City do it they just brush over potential issues and move on.

The other option is everyone hears every word that the VAR ref is saying. I don’t understand why they don’t do it unless they have something to hide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Might as well bin off VAR. All it does is stop the flow of a game, without actually reducing the number of refereeing / linesman errors.

If we score a goal they spend minutes trying to find a reason not to give it. If a Liverpool or City do it they just brush over potential issues and move on.

The other option is everyone hears every word that the VAR ref is saying. I don’t understand why they don’t do it unless they have something to hide.

It is working exactly as it was intended to. We will never have full transparency, if we did, then it would be scrapped as it they would not be able to use it for it's intended purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I am sure the Rugby TMO is always explaining his decision over microphone. They arent always right either but at least you know how they made the decision 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am sure the Rugby TMO is always explaining his decision over microphone. They arent always right either but at least you know how they made the decision 

They are and I agree, at least you can hear what they saw, what they think they saw and their logic 

Miles better than what we have 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This would 100% improve things

Football just always tries to be different and overcomplicate things. VAR was never going to be perfect. It might not even have been good. But the way they've implemented it has made sure it's absolutely shit

Â