The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

Mings falls purely because of Salah knocking into him, it’s impossible for him to maintain balance otherwise. 

Salah’s tumble is very unnatural and engineered to con the referee far more than Mane who was simply told to get back up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It is - he deliberately runs into Mings (very clearly evidenced even in these gifs) to engineer contact and goes to ground under no challenge. Mings is just running. 

It really isn’t but if that’s how you’re interpreting it then that’s cool.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It really isn’t but if that’s how you’re interpreting it then that’s cool.

Salah literally puts his left leg into Mings’ leg. I have no idea what you’re looking at to think that isn’t what happened tbh. But we can end here :D 

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Salah literally puts his left leg into Mings’ leg. I have no idea what you’re looking at to think that isn’t what happened tbh. But we can end here :D 

Yeah he steps across him. Have you ever played football? That’s what you do. If you’re in possession you can shield the ball. It’s not an offence. It’s not up to the person in possession to stay out of the defender’s way so they don’t foul him. 

That’s what he’s done, Mings has clumsily bundled him over. 

Watch it again in full speed, instead of slowed down gifs from one angle. 

That’s how I see it anyway. And my belief is if it happened at the other end we would be saying the same. 

If you don’t agree that’s cool

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah he steps across him. Have you ever played football? That’s what you do. If you’re in possession you can shield the ball. It’s not an offence. It’s not up to the person in possession to stay out of the defender’s way so they don’t foul him. 

That’s how I see it anyway. And my belief is if it happened at the other end we would be saying the same. 

Yeah, I don’t. I understand shielding the ball - it isn’t a foul by Salah - but Mings doesn’t make a challenge. Simply existing on a football pitch shouldn’t warrant a foul being given against you.

I’m not of the opinion that players can simply run alongside and then suddenly across another one and stop dead to win fouls. It’s only a foul (to me) if the opponent attempts to make a challenge.

(As an aside, the “have you ever played football?” thing is the worst argumentative tool ever). 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’m not of the opinion that players can simply run alongside and then suddenly across another one and stop dead to win fouls. It’s only a foul (to me) if the opponent attempts to make a challenge.

Cool. I think that’s fundamentally incorrect but ok. 

The thing is with "have you ever played football" is have you ever done that on a Sunday morning? 

You'd never get away with that in the Kidderminster leagues, you'd be called out on it at best wouldn't like to imagine the worst 

He hasn't bundled him over, the contact and that fall do not correlate with each other 

Edited by villa4europe

I think it’s interesting that Liverpool employed a strategy of getting into the box and going to ground - I don’t think I’ve ever seen it undertaken in such a way before.

I also don’t want to see teams rewarded for it and for this to become the norm. 

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The thing is with "have you ever played football" is have you ever done that on a Sunday morning? 

You'd never get away with that in the Kidderminster leagues, you'd be called out on it at best wouldn't like to imagine the worst 

He hasn't bundled him over, the contact and that fall do not correlate with each other 

He’s made the most of it. Doesn’t mean it isn’t a foul. And I’m not convinced he could have stayed on his feet either, again not that that would mean it wasn’t a foul

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with everything about shielding the ball, but in stepping across Mings Salah kicks his ankle and trips him. That’s what looks like a foul the other way, if he hasn’t kicked Mings’ ankle I’d be in 100% agreement. I was convinced it was a penalty at the time, but seeing the detail of what happened I think it’s very harsh on Mings.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 2

Ming's was rash, he should have kept his distance but blocked the run into the centre of the goal, Salah was going down a dead end.

Hopefully Gerrard will try and calm certain players down when they are tracking opposition players in our box, we seem to be very niave . 

5 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Forward kicks/trips defender. Defender falls. Forward remembers to also fall.

didsalahdive.gif.3250bb3db5ed8796e69759cb506a5742.gif

This Salah dive is all the more embarrassing as he has a low centre of gravity. 

It looks like Mings is just about to clear the ball with his left foot when Salah deliberately lunged across his path causing Mings to trip. The problem for Salah is he was hoping that Mings would wipe him out, but he doesnt, so Salah has to do that awful dive. It really does look pathetic in slow motion given how good we know his balance is. It's one of his main talents.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Salah is in possession. The onus is on the defender to not foul the person in possession. Putting your body in the way isn’t a foul. 

How do you win possession back then? Mings hasn't mistimed the tackle. Salah has took himself towards Mings. It is exactly like the Kane and Cash one. I do get where you're coming from, Mings should just not challenge to be on the safe side. Because these top strikers are 'clever'.

But var should be overturning these decisions where players are engineering challenges. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Ming's was rash, he should have kept his distance but blocked the run into the centre of the goal, Salah was going down a dead end.

Hopefully Gerrard will try and calm certain players down when they are tracking opposition players in our box, we seem to be very niave . 

It's a great point about the naivety. Luiz, Cash, Targett, Mings etc have made these challenges in the box and given away penalties. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The game does need to address diving and, for want of a better way of putting it, exaggeration. At the moment an attacking player has very little reason not to dive, he's unlikely to be punished if he's not completely stupid, and if he fools the ref he gets a goal 9 out of 10 times. 

The exaggeration side of things is more difficult but going down easily, choosing to go down, 'selling' a foul, is a grim element of the game that is starting to verge on cheating IMO. Take Salah this weekend - I can see why he's got a penalty, but it's soft as **** and he's chucked himself to the ground in embarrassing fashion. Unless his legs have an off button on the back of his left calf.

How you combat that, though is a difficult question. It's a spirit of the game thing.

You combat it by not giving them a goal for every slight infringement in the area. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

The game does need to address diving and, for want of a better way of putting it, exaggeration. At the moment an attacking player has very little reason not to dive, he's unlikely to be punished if he's not completely stupid, and if he fools the ref he gets a goal 9 out of 10 times. 

The exaggeration side of things is more difficult but going down easily, choosing to go down, 'selling' a foul, is a grim element of the game that is starting to verge on cheating IMO. Take Salah this weekend - I can see why he's got a penalty, but it's soft as **** and he's chucked himself to the ground in embarrassing fashion. Unless his legs have an off button on the back of his left calf.

How you combat that, though is a difficult question. It's a spirit of the game thing.

Couldn't agree more. Also, people say Jack was doing it here far more then any other player, no he was not, that was down to his reading of a defenders body language and his own movement, he was there and then he was gone and the defender takes him down, it was a foul everytime. He got so good that he knew the foul was coming, completely different, they were kicking him up in the air for crying out loud.

Needs fixing, watch lower league stuff and it's not happening, it is part of certain players strategy and needs fixing.

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Needs fixing, watch lower league stuff and it's not happening, it is part of certain players strategy and needs fixing.

Watched the euros and it wasn't happening

When did that happen? When did the PL become softer than European international football? 

The standard of reffing was so much higher in the summer 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turvontour said:

This Salah dive is all the more embarrassing as he has a low centre of gravity. 

It looks like Mings is just about to clear the ball with his left foot when Salah deliberately lunged across his path causing Mings to trip. The problem for Salah is he was hoping that Mings would wipe him out, but he doesnt, so Salah has to do that awful dive. It really does look pathetic in slow motion given how good we know his balance is. It's one of his main talents.

Ming's left foot is about to put the ball out for a corner, Salah lunges across and stamps on Ming's left foot, 100% foul on Ming's, salah then collapses like a baby, embarrassing, the outcome, he and his team are given a goal.... Look at the rest of Saturday and people are naive enough to think it's all just complacency and mistakes, there's more to see here, much more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Watched the euros and it wasn't happening

When did that happen? When did the PL become softer than European international football? 

The standard of reffing was so much higher in the summer 

Alarmingly so. I've no proof obviously and I sound like a tool chirping on about it but something is going on in the prem, something stinks.

• Like 1

Â