The Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Stevo985

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes. Watching this match (against Chelsea), I have realised what it is I hate about it, and it's this: it has created a mentality - among fans, among commentators, among referees - of looking for 'reasons why not'. Villa fans looking for reasons why VAR should rule out Giroud's goal even though Chilwell is level. Chelsea fans looking for reasons to rule out El Ghazi's goal even though the ref had waved play on 30 seconds earlier. Commentators looking for both. '

It's crap, and it's ruining the sport. When someone scores, we shouldn't be first of all looking for 'reasons why not'.

I would like football fans of all clubs to come together to show they think this is rubbish.

This is an excellent point.  An astute reminder that whilst we focus incessantly on 'the rules' as they pertain to violations and misconduct we can often overlook that their real value lies in optimising and incentivising the game played to its fullest.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Michelsen said:

I’m not convinced you can do this accurately enough to be consistent. People are questioning the Giroud goal, not because there was anything wrong with it, but because there’s no telling it apart from the two Ollie Watkins goals that were disallowed. Why was their goal allowed with minimal scrutiny, while VAR took his precious time coming up with a reason to disallow Ollie’s goal at West Ham? 

The technology uses 60fps to make arbitrary offside decisions with no consistency. That's a major problem. It's not making fans more critical without fair reason, it's about how, with technology, the game was meant to be 'improved', and now every decision gains 100x the scrutiny.

If VAR wasn't obsessing with armpit offsides and used correctly, fans would have a lot less to moan about, the current usage is making fans hyper aware and scrutinising every decision, because that's what the system is doing, without scrutiny.

Why did it take 30 seconds to rule on Chilwell? But 4 minutes on Watkins? It's not about fans feeling they are being victimised, but legitimate questions. None of which is being answered. The application of which is a giant mess.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes. Watching this match (against Chelsea), I have realised what it is I hate about it, and it's this: it has created a mentality - among fans, among commentators, among referees - of looking for 'reasons why not'. Villa fans looking for reasons why VAR should rule out Giroud's goal even though Chilwell is level. Chelsea fans looking for reasons to rule out El Ghazi's goal even though the ref had waved play on 30 seconds earlier. Commentators looking for both. '

It's crap, and it's ruining the sport. When someone scores, we shouldn't be first of all looking for 'reasons why not'.

I would like football fans of all clubs to come together to show they think this is rubbish.

Excellent point. 

It certainly doesn’t help that every club has had goals disallowed by mm or tiny infractions so they want the same when it’s the other way around. 

The genie is out of the bottle now but it really does need to change, it’s a complete shitshow at the moment.

There needs to be a comprehensive and transparent review of how this is being used.

Why are certain events checked for minutes and others for seconds (for comparatively unclear incidents) what’s the criteria for asking the referee going to the monitor? Is the “clear and obvious” criteria for getting decisions changed being applied fairly and consistently? Have referees changed the way they officiate the game and the decision they make knowing VAR is there to bail them out - Particularly an important question if they don’t make a call but it isn’t deemed enough of a mistake to trigger “clear and obvious” criteria.

I’d wager a substantial amount there would be a evidence of a huge amount of bias in the favour of the “big clubs”.

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, again VAR can't fix his handling of that game, too many minor tactical fouls that he didn't care about

Yep. Man Utd just allowed to make cynical fouls all over the place without punishment.

Just now, a-k said:

Seriously, how has VAR looked at this and not overturned it????

There was contact before that, but it’s so slight. Tough one as I don’t think it can be overturned, but it’s never a pen. 

Â