General Election 2017

ender4

Just now, hippo said:

I think Boris will be the Hero of the hour come friday morning. He would surely make a tilt for the leadership pretty quickly - he may not get another chance.

McGrath have mercy on our souls!

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats got to be the exception though. Most people on low income jobs don't accumulate close on £1m.

If you earned £22k over 50 years - you would only gross £1m - thats without tax, or spending a penny !  - you can't be just a smart saver and gross close to £1m. sure interest rates used to be 10% - but mortgage rates were probably at comparable levels.

And if people stopped spending the economy would crash.

Its not how it works. You can invest in capital bonds and other things and make a load more than 10% a year. Also house prices in 1970 when they purchased this house were ridiculously low. Bought for £5600. sold the other one for 3900. Mortgage repayments not an ussie. 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

1. £10 PH phased in by 2020

2. Not a huge increase

Thats only a few years away and that might not seem a large increase but it is.

Really with brexit we want to be encouraging companies to invest here with these two policies its not really as attractive as the current circumstances is it? Personally i think one needs to bw done not both 

52 minutes ago, hippo said:

Whats the threshold though ? £425k isn't it.

Not one for me to worry about.

Dont mean to turn this into another inhertiance tax debate but londoners are the ones who will suffer the most and i don't think thats fair at all when some of the prices of those houses are significantly smaller and worth more just because they are in London.

If your going to do this then make it lower for other places in the country that house prices are not as high like london where properties are ridiculously over priced 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont mean to turn this into another inhertiance tax debate but londoners are the ones who will suffer the most and i don't think thats fair at all when some of the prices of those houses are significantly smaller and worth more just because they are in London.

If your going to do this then make it lower for other places in the country that house prices are not as high like london where properties are ridiculously over priced 

Largely irrelevant. Most of London is owned by the Chinese and Saudis anyway ;)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So they all start (apart from possibly police constables) at over £21,000 p/a right now - let alone in 2020 when the £10/hr minimum wage would kick in... under a Labour government who would (likely) increase public sector wages moreso than the Conservatives anyway.

I can't believe you'd rather take a lesser wage for sitting on a supermarket checkout than doing a morally rewarding job.  Perhaps a sad indictment of modern society.

So, assuming Labour win, and minimum wage goes up to £10/h by 2020, how much will a nurse ,for example, have to be paid to cover all the years of training and wiping arses?

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So they all start (apart from possibly police constables) at over £21,000 p/a right now - let alone in 2020 when the £10/hr minimum wage would kick in... under a Labour government who would (likely) increase public sector wages moreso than the Conservatives anyway.

I can't believe you'd rather take a lesser wage for sitting on a supermarket checkout than doing a morally rewarding job.  Perhaps a sad indictment of modern society.

So, assuming Labour win, and minimum wage goes up to £10/h by 2020, how much will a nurse ,for example, have to be paid to cover all the years of training and wiping arses?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats got to be the exception though. Most people on low income jobs don't accumulate close on £1m.

If you earned £22k over 50 years - you would only gross £1m - thats without tax, or spending a penny !  - you can't be just a smart saver and gross close to £1m. sure interest rates used to be 10% - but mortgage rates were probably at comparable levels.

And if people stopped spending the economy would crash.

Hippo, use this calculator over 30/50 years and you can see with only a small monthly investment how it accumulates 

http://www.helpfulcalculators.com/compound-interest-calculator

3 minutes ago, welnik said:

Can you let me know the answer please?

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can you let me know the answer please?

It wasn't aimed at you, more a general question of where public finances are going to be by 2020. 

7 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

When the election was called I remember several people saying it was the end of Corbyn. Id now put money on the end of May coming before the end of Corbyn. It really does sum up her disastrous campaign. 

Yep, May will win the battle but Corbz will win the war.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Effectively it would be.

If you earned £425k - you pay tax at 40%

If you inherit £425k - you pay tax at 40% 

You've assumed I agree with the current threshold. I think it should be much lower.

But don't forget if there's only one inheritor, yes they'll get hammered for tax. If there's many inheritors, they won't

someone who doesn't work would get their normal income tax allowances taken into account and get to keep more, those who already earn would get taxed more on the inheritance.

• Like 1

£10/ hr in 2020 is still going to be not much given the rising cost of living and rents. If your business can't survive on paying people just enough to get by on, it's a shit business. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

No, she works as the Shadow Home Secretary in the park, I forgot. Her job is to scrutinise the Home Secretary's work and the leading party's policies. It's an official position with an official office and place of work. 

Although it's not always the case something like 9/10 Shadow Secretaries get elected into the full flung position if their party goes into government. 

Incorrect. She's currently the prospective parliamentary candidate for the Labour Party in a constituency somewhere in North Cockneyshire. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

£10/ hr in 2020 is still going to be not much given the rising cost of living and rents. If your business can't survive on paying people just enough to get by on, it's a shit business. 

What about start up companies? 

• Like 1

Â