General Election 2017

ender4

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think you're Tory-slanted (at the moment).

Diane Abbott is indeed an embarrassment to the Labour Party, as in Boris Johnson to the Tories. I would tend to agree that Abbott comes off worse. What about the Chancellor of the Exchequer getting his figures wrong on HS2 though (only by a casual £20bn)? That's a major project and he's the one looking after the money! Somehow, not quite the same level of vitriol aimed at him as with Abbott.

Labour have said they aren't increasing taxes for anyone earning under £85k/year. The Tories have refused to rule out tax increases.

So, as I say, fine you might disagree with them both but certainly one party being clear (even if you think wishful!) and one party being deliberately deceitful.

I just think that Labour cant be trusted just like conservatives cant. I agree may is sneaky and i really dislike her and her party.  But labour for me it is fantasy that your just goibg to tax the rich and businesses.

That is still is going to have a knock on effect on the middle class and the low paid. 

I just dont believe corbyn is going to be able to unfreeze nhs pay

Be able to afford the minimum wage increase and corpration tax increase without unemployment going up.

My biggest gripe with him is the reversal inheritance tax freshhold. I just think thats wrong 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just think that Labour cant be trusted just like conservatives cant. I agree may is sneaky and i really dislike her and her party.  But labour for me it is fantasy that your just goibg to tax the rich and businesses.

That is still is going to have a knock on effect on the middle class and the low paid. 

Be able to afford the minimum wage increase and corpration tax increase without unemployment going up.

My biggest gripe with him is the reversal inheritance tax freshhold. I just think thats wrong 

If I'm honest that is mine. My mom is very sick in hospital. I have been looking after her for years and that is the deal breaker for me with Labour. 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Raising the minimum wage to £10 p/h and huge increase in corporation tax will lead to massive unemployment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

Raising the minimum wage to £10 p/h and huge increase in corporation tax will lead to massive unemployment.

1. £10 PH phased in by 2020

2. Not a huge increase

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

While I don't necessarily disagree, if I'm sticking my partisan hat on for a moment, I would point out that Labour's chief point man on Brexit, Keir Starmer (who unlike Diane Abbott, actually is a good performer and is unlikely to change brief in the event of a win) did used to run a large organisation - the CPS - and largely did so very well. 

Keir is on a list of honourable exceptions that I'm hoping will rise phoenix like from the current shit show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

If I'm honest that is mine. My mom is very sick in hospital. I have been looking after her for years and that is the deal breaker for me with Labour. 

No party in this country has inheritance tax right. 

It actually raises minuscule amounts of revenue. It's more a flag for ideologies than anything else.

14 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

If it was done all of a sudden and without any tax reliefs for smaller businesses then, yes, it would.

Fortunately, this wouldn't be the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

No party in this country has inheritance tax right. 

It actually raises minuscule amounts of revenue. It's more a flag for ideologies than anything else.

They intend to reduce the threshold by half and then the tax is 40% on the rest. It makes a  big difference. Labour are hurting not just the rich which I would be very happy with. But people who haven't earned much money in their lives but they have been savers and invested wisely and then want to be able to pass it on to their children and Labour wont let them. 

15 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Whats the threshold though ? £425k isn't it.

Not one for me to worry about.

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Crazy thing to have as a "deal breaker" for me.  Tax hits at £425k.  That's approx. £125k more than the average UK home - including the ridiculous properties in London.

Out of interest, does it really effect you that badly?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

It wouldn't happen overnight. But pretty quickly I think you'd see

* Many more people going into nurse training and seeing a career in medicine being a valid choice again

* NHS waiting lists would come down

* Recruitment drives for the police

* Recruitment drives for teachers

* People would have choices of well paid public professions rather than accepting any dregs of zero hour contracts so private sector jobs would improve

* Overall happiness would increase as people would actually have something to do and

* Economy would then pick up seeing high growth rates

It is the word, it is written, in the 1st Book of Fabius.

Verily, the bearded prophet did walk amongst the people, and they did bow before him and praise his foretelling of a land of milk and honey. He wore the simplest of garb, the pelt of a lamb, knitted by his mother, a virgin from the west. His apostles were two. John the learned, who followed the teachings of Mark's and Angels, and Diana the huntress of things forgotten, a Nubian of many hair-dos, who had begotten children who were taught at a private temple, contrary to the word. Once more did the profit speak unto the crowd, these words, "Then shall the kingdom of Corbyn be likened unto the ten commissars who did smite down the cursed 5% and scatter their houses amongst us and there was a reckoning ". The spirit of something for nothing did possess the multitude but a lone voice didst utter unto them, 'Blessed are the promise-makers, for they shall not inherit the dearth'. And great stones did rain down upon him. 

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

They intend to reduce the threshold by half and then the tax is 40% on the rest. It makes a  big difference. Labour are hurting not just the rich which I would be very happy with. But people who haven't earned much money in their lives but they have been savers and invested wisely and then want to be able to pass it on to their children and Labour wont let them. 

Not disagreeing with you

it should be what it says it is. An inheritance tax not a death tax. It is the inheritor that should be taxed, taking into account their current earnings etc and taxed at the same rates as income tax, that is after all what it is... income

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I don't see how you can have £400k stashed away - without earning a decent wedge.

(Enlighten me :)))

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not disagreeing with you

it should be what it says it is. An inheritance tax not a death tax. It is the inheritor that should be taxed, taking into account their current earnings etc and taxed at the same rates as income tax, that is after all what it is... income

Effectively it would be.

If you earned £425k - you pay tax at 40%

If you inherit £425k - you pay tax at 40% 

Just now, hippo said:

Effectively it would be.

If you earned £425k - you pay tax at 40%

If you inherit £425k - you pay tax at 40% 

Depends on your standard income.

If you're earning, say, £50k/year then you'd be taxed 40% on the entire £425k, rather than having it as "inheritance tax" and only being taxed 40% above and beyond the £425k.

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

Crazy thing to have as a "deal breaker" for me.  Tax hits at properties worth over £425k.  That's approx. £125k more than the average UK home - including the ridiculous properties in London.

Out of interest, does it really effect you that badly?

Is it not the entire estate not the property? My take is the threshold applies to everthing. The house is only worth 200k. I was divorced a few years ago and my wife got the house I purchased. I moved in with my mom as went beyond the point of looking after herself. Theres 4 children . I could hgave pushed her to leave the house to me but I didn't want to screw my siblings. 

Just now, PaulC said:

Is it not the entire estate not the property? My take is the threshold applies to everthing. The house is only worth 200k. I was divorced a few years ago and my wife got the house I purchased. I moved in with my mom as went beyond the point of looking after herself. Theres 4 children . I could hgave pushed her to leave the house to me but I didn't want to screw my siblings. 

Yeah, I edited as got my property statement all mixed up :D  (Just call me Dian...)

I don't need to get into your personal business and (I hope everything is OK with you and your family), so from a basic viewpoint...

If the house in question is worth £200k then I'm assuming there must be a hell of a lot of savings (significantly over a quarter of a million pounds) for that to be your "deal breaker" against Labour.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't see how you can have £400k stashed away - without earning a decent wedge.

(Enlighten me :)))

M dad was a security guard my mom a teacher. neither earned a lot. If you invest smartly and don't spend much it accumulates. My late uncle worked as a clerk for the coal board and managed to accumulate 900k in savings when he died. Interest rates used to be 10%

Â