• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Siri, show me the most quietly sinister thing a world leader could possibly say.

"Our foreign policy is directed by the pursuit of freedom for the peoples of other nations".

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I briefly thought he might mean the new version of liberalism - the economy one, not the social one. Silly me.

In neo-liberalism, they are one and the same unfortunately. Hopefully, we won't throw out the good social aspects when we bin this parasitic economic model.

• 1 month later...

Looks like a test of a nuclear powered cruise missile went wrong somehow. Russia has been suspected of developing such a missile for a while and the area of the incident is where they were supposed to have lost one in a failed test recently, and the ship where the incident is supposed to have happened (a fire and explosion) is a nuclear fuel carrier that was previously involved in the recovery attempt. And there was a radiation spike around the time of the incident, the area has been blocked to shipping for a month, images of the vehicles involved in the emergency response show them being checked by hazmat operatives...

Methinks the Russians had a nuclear accident at sea, not far from the border with Finland.

• 5 months later...

Entire Russian government has resigned apparently.

Russian government resigns, after President Putin's State-of-the-Nation Address proposes changes to the constitution

Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has announced that the government is resigning. The statement came shortly after President Vladimir Putin delivered his annual state-of-the-nation address.

Accepting the resignation, Putin asked the ministers to function as a caretaker government until a new one is formed.

Before announcing the resignation of the cabinet, Medvedev met with Putin to discuss his state-of-the-nation address, which took place earlier on Wednesday, the Kremlin’s press office said.

Putin also said that he plans to create a position of the deputy secretary of Russia’s security council, and offer it to Medvedev.

In his address, Putin proposed several amendments to the constitution.

https://www.rt.com/russia/478340-government-resigns-russia-putin-medvedev/

Not entirely clear what exactly the Russians are up to, but it's unlikely to be anything that opens things up too much.

E.g., in future and citizen with citizenship or quasi-status (e.g., work/life visa such as US green card) from another country will be be prohibited from federal employment and membership of government. New plan B's required!

No coincidence that this news came just a couple of days after implementing tighter internet controls.

Russia can now seperate itself entirely from the web.

He's had a good giggle getting the Trump and Brexit dolts to trash their own countries. He's not wanting the same internet shenanigans employed against him.

Also, everyone saw the hypersonic missile?

It really doesn't change much, all sides still die if they're employed.

It does make the billions poured into a US missile defence umbrella look badly spent.

smoke and mirrors. The russian economy is nowehre near the level of what they like the world to believe, and there's noway the are developing hypersonic missiles to any degree of completion. they're trying to disengage from Ukraine/Syria because they're stretched enough as it is.

3 hours ago, peterw said:

smoke and mirrors. The russian economy is nowehre near the level of what they like the world to believe, and there's noway the are developing hypersonic missiles to any degree of completion.

Their economy isn't strong.

It's likely they have the quick missile.

Will it be sure technology and safe for the operators?

Nah.

That's Russia.

On 21/01/2020 at 08:10, peterw said:

smoke and mirrors. The russian economy is nowehre near the level of what they like the world to believe, and there's noway the are developing hypersonic missiles to any degree of completion. they're trying to disengage from Ukraine/Syria because they're stretched enough as it is.

I’m interested in how they are trying to disengage from Ukraine? You got anything I can read up?

There are lots of sites you can check

http://uacrisis.org/73956-weekly-update-ukraine-35-4-10-november

https://tass.com/world/1078764

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/12/ukraine-russia-emmanuel-macron-angela-merkel

Russia has 'made its point' with the West regarding Ukraine and does not want to get further bogged down in Ukraine and Ukrainian politics. its foreign policy agenda now lies elsewhere, and this isn't a popular internal piece of Russian resistance as it was 2/3 years ago.

12 hours ago, peterw said:

There are lots of sites you can check

http://uacrisis.org/73956-weekly-update-ukraine-35-4-10-november

https://tass.com/world/1078764

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/12/ukraine-russia-emmanuel-macron-angela-merkel

Russia has 'made its point' with the West regarding Ukraine and does not want to get further bogged down in Ukraine and Ukrainian politics. its foreign policy agenda now lies elsewhere, and this isn't a popular internal piece of Russian resistance as it was 2/3 years ago.

Nah, that’s pretty much the opposite of my reading.

There isn’t the slightest hint in any of that of Russia moving out of Crimea and having it revert back to Ukraine.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Nah, that’s pretty much the opposite of my reading.

There isn’t the slightest hint in any of that of Russia moving out of Crimea and having it revert back to Ukraine.

I haven’t read the links but I took it to mean the peninsula of Crimea is now settled in Russia’s mind and they are no longer going to push on with supporting the militias on the mainland?

There is no way Russia will give up its Black Sea navel base (which the Russians claim historical links to regardless) and there is nothing Ukraine can do about it. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I haven’t read the links but I took it to mean the peninsula of Crimea is now settled in Russia’s mind and they are no longer going to push on with supporting the militias on the mainland?

There is no way Russia will give up its Black Sea navel base (which the Russians claim historical links to regardless) and there is nothing Ukraine can do about it. 

I can see that way of interpreting it. But I don’t agree with it.

Crimea was part of Ukraine and now Russia has taken it by military force. That they intend to keep the miles they’ve invaded but not continue to push through new land is not disengagement.

If that works, you just do a modest invasion of somewhere where you have historic or cultural links. Wait a while. Then we all accept it and move on. Then five years later, invade somewhere with another semi legit reason, rinse, repeat.

That’s not disengagement due to economic weakness. That’s winning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I can see that way of interpreting it. But I don’t agree with it.

Crimea was part of Ukraine and now Russia has taken it by military force. That they intend to keep the miles they’ve invaded but not continue to push through new land is not disengagement.

If that works, you just do a modest invasion of somewhere where you have historic or cultural links. Wait a while. Then we all accept it and move on. Then five years later, invade somewhere with another semi legit reason, rinse, repeat.

That’s not disengagement due to economic weakness. That’s winning.

It does open up the possibility of us invading everywhere due to our historical links with Pangea mind you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I never:

Putin Endorses Brazen Remedy to Extend His Rule, Possibly for Life

MOSCOW — It looked as though Vladimir V. Putin had been gearing up to push through obscure constitutional changes as a surreptitious way to remain Russia’s leader after presidential term limits forced him to step down in 2024. But on Tuesday, Mr. Putin endorsed a proposal stunningly simpler and more brazen: resetting the Constitution’s term-limit clock to zero.

The proposal, passed by the lower house of Parliament just hours after it had been introduced, would allow him to serve for an additional two six-year terms when his tenure expires.

...the clearest sign yet that after 20 years as president or prime minister, Mr. Putin, the 67-year-old former KGB spy and icon of strongman rule, is intent on staying in the Kremlin possibly for the rest of his life, or at least until 2036.

If he serves until then, Mr. Putin will have held the nation’s highest office for 32 years, longer than Stalin but still short of Peter the Great, who reigned for 43 years.

...more

Â