• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What do you think the UN should do to stop this?

I don’t know the answer, but have they done anything of any use in this conflict? 

I just googled what they “do”

The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 and committed to maintaining international peace and security; developing friendly relations among nations; promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights.

The UN

Edited by Genie

13 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Source?

Sorry, Killed or Injured

BEEB

The most senior US general estimates that around 100,000 Russian and 100,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed or injured in the war in Ukraine.

Gen Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, also suggested that around 40,000 civilians had died after being caught up in the conflict.

The estimates are the highest offered yet by a Western official.

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Makes them a bit powerless in scenarios like this then. 

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The veto power makes the whole organisation completely pointless. It should be disbanded. 

The veto works two ways. It stops one political view being dominant, it stops communism being dominant and it stops neo capitalism being dominant. It allows China to veto action against Russia. But it also stops (for instance) Northern Ireland being flooded with Armenian peace keepers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The veto power makes the whole organisation completely pointless. It should be disbanded. 

So because they can't control one rogue state it should be disbanded and the other 99% for work it does should cease because it can't solve this one thing.  Very odd point of view.

Villa lost on Saturday, might as well just disband the club.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So because they can't control one rogue state it should be disbanded and the other 99% for work it does should cease because it can't solve this one thing.  Very odd point of view.

Villa lost on Saturday, might as well just disband the club.

You dont go into on topic much do you

Edited by phily85
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The UN is only as powerful as it's members want it to be. 

Mauritania, a pretty minor country in the scale of things, was monitored and pressured by the UN for decades over the fact it basically still has an old fashioned slave trade. They made a few sops to combating it, but ultimately just carried on, and ignored the UN. Now, bearing that in mind, even setting aside the veto issue, the UN isn't going to do anything to step in on a conflict the scale of something involving Russia, and no members would want it to either. It exists in this context to be a talking shop, with some coordination efforts, and to help pick up the pieces when it's done.

What I dont understand is that since WW II everybody knows how important it is to control the sky and also that on the ground you have to have superior/more tanks than the enemy,yet NATO is still mucking about as far as planes and tanks are concerned.

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

What I dont understand is that since WW II everybody knows how important it is to control the sky and also that on the ground you have to have superior/more tanks than the enemy,yet NATO is still mucking about as far as planes and tanks are concerned.

I don't know.

What this war seems to have illustrated is that aircraft and tanks are very susceptible to anti tank and anti aircraft systems, even handheld portable ones.

A smaller number of vastly superior tanks and stealth fighters may well be the best option.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't know.

What this war seems to have illustrated is that aircraft and tanks are very susceptible to anti tank and anti aircraft systems, even handheld portable ones.

A smaller number of vastly superior tanks and stealth fighters may well be the best option.

I think things are a bit more nuanced than that. Air superiority is key, and what we're learning is that you need overwhelming force to achieve it. Neither side has overwhelming force, so neither side has air superiority. Due to this lack, all aircraft are extremely vulnerable. If you have air superiority then aircraft are pretty much invulnerable.

20 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I think things are a bit more nuanced than that. Air superiority is key, and what we're learning is that you need overwhelming force to achieve it. Neither side has overwhelming force, so neither side has air superiority. Due to this lack, all aircraft are extremely vulnerable. If you have air superiority then aircraft are pretty much invulnerable.

I think Russia has air superiority in the traditional sense, they have overwhelmingly more aircraft and better aircraft than Ukraine. What's stopping them is anti aircraft systems so going back to the OP, aircraft themselves are not the driver here. You could argue developing significantly more anti aircraft systems is the most import. Then you would only need a handful of "invisible" stealth aircraft to rule the skies if they avoid the oppositions anti aircraft systems. 

Seems to me that several countries, including the UK wanted to support Ukraine but also thought it was in their best interest to provide the minimal required support to drag the conflict out as long as possible rather than giving Ukraine capabilities to halt Russia in their tracks within weeks. Whether that's for the direct economic benefits of not giving so much aid to Ukraine, or for the longterm gain of Russia being far more economically damaged by a protracted war, or a combination of both.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Seems to me that several countries, including the UK wanted to support Ukraine but also thought it was in their best interest to provide the minimal required support to drag the conflict out as long as possible rather than giving Ukraine capabilities to halt Russia in their tracks within weeks. Whether that's for the direct economic benefits of not giving so much aid to Ukraine, or for the longterm gain of Russia being far more economically damaged by a protracted war, or a combination of both.

I think this discussion was had a few pages back but I don’t think the Ukraine support has been as planned out as you are implying. I think we have been feeling our way into this war and only getting more confident about what to supply as time has gone on. 

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think this discussion was had a few pages back but I don’t think the Ukraine support has been as planned out as you are implying. I think we have been feeling our way into this war and only getting more confident about what to supply as time has gone on. 

But even now “the West” could supply enough hardware to obliterate Russia but aren’t. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

But even now “the West” could supply enough hardware to obliterate Russia but aren’t. 

Not whilst retaining enough stock to protect their own borders too. Only the US has lots of spare kit. Everyone else is mainly cobbling together equipment from reserves. Those reserves need to be modified, maintained, have equipment removed etc before it can be sent

The Challenger 2s we'll be sending will be from the stock that isn't going to be updated to Challenger 3 but we need to keep enough CH2s to defend UK interests and maintain a path to the Ch3 upgrades

It really isn't as simple as, we've got loads of kit, just send it to Ukraine.

It's not as simple as we've got all these weapons, here take these and some of those nice shiny planes too.

There's training considerations, various contractual considerations (from various angles - the UK for instance can't just send a bunch of planes to Ukraine if we aren't the sole interested party in those planes - i.e. we can be as dead set on giving Ukraine Eurofighters or F35s (we aren't but for arguments sake...) we can't because we either developed those with co-partners or bought them from allies who maintain an interest in what happens to them, who has them, etc)), secrets concerns, legislative concerns, etc etc. And what is needed to maintain home protection.

And then there's the balancing act of how much support can be given, without either escalating the conflict or making it worse, or whether the Russians/NATO itself would essentially view certain extents of aid being given as meaning it de facto was a NATO involved war. That's a balancing act and a half.

Extrapolate out for various other angles... It's more complicated than sending over huge crates and containers of cutting edge gear.

Edited by Chindie

Â