• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Planes need servicing regularly

They've lost a fair few in action which will reduce any rotation in aircraft for regular servicing

They are being sanctioned which means parts that need replacing probably won't be

I imagine we might see more of this tbh

I don’t mean to be all pedantic, or aviation geek…but I will anyway.

Aircraft are not like cars, military aircraft even less so than civil.

The way military aircraft servicing works is like this:

Before (every)  Flight: B/F - a basic set of checks and actions to ensure the jet is safe and ready to undertake a sortie. From cleaning the glass to checking levels of fuel and oil and so on. Validity is 24 hrs. Then do it again if the aircraft hasn’t been flying in that time  aircraft can’t fly without a valid B/F.

After (every) Flight: A/F - more comprehensive than a B/F. Replenish consumables, (gases, oils, desiccants etc.) check surfaces, tyres, structure, systems, antennas etc for damage or deterioration. Validity 3 days. Aircraft can’t fly without a valid A/F.

Separately, debrief aircrew, investigate & fix any faults reported. Fuel aircraft. Clean aircraft.

Every few hundred flying hours a kind of overhaul is done where massive amounts of work are done over a period of days or weeks or months. These minor, minor* and major servicings are most akin to an overhaul or complete strip down and rebuild of a vehicle.

There are also turn-round T/R servicings which are like a combined A/F and B/F, but abbreviated, for when the jet needs to go flying again imminently after landing. And the are routine scheduled tasks that come round every so many flying hours. Primary servicing. And there’s SIs and STIs and…

TL:DR aircraft need servicing all the time, every time before, after, between every flight.

• Like 3

There's a lot of NATO planes patrolling the Eastern Border at the moment.  I assume its part of the NATO Exercise that was reported in the papers.  

But there is also a lot of large Russian Transport planes flying from Moscow to an airport just East of the Crimea called Krasnodar.  

That's considered an "International Airport" for Russian but has been closed to civilian flights since February.   

Let's hope its a lot of heavy equipment heading to Kherson when the Ukrainian's attack elsewhere. 

The more I think about, the less sense in makes for Ukraine to undertake bitter urban warfare.   

Just leave the released criminals with guns and unmotivated conscripts on the Western side of the river and stop their supplies.   

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The more I think about, the less sense in makes for Ukraine to undertake bitter urban warfare.   

Totally agree,  the one thing they don't want is to be bogged down with this. 

Surround and go around.  Starve them out with 24 hour a day noise,  they have no support and no plan the Russians will give up.

12 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Surround and go around.  Starve them out with 24 hour a day noise,  they have no support and no plan the Russians will give up.

I think this Kherson talk is a potential ruse. Surely if Ukraine push down from Zaporizhzhia to the Sea then there's absolutely no land bridge to defend Kerson or Crimea with the bridge severely compromised.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It’s bloody difficult to go around them because of the river.  It seems much easier to blow up every bridge, ferry crossing and supply convoy until the Russians decide it’s not worth the effort.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Germany gas reserves are now 97% of capacity.  On the same day 1 year ago they were 72% of capacity.  

Putin's "cold winter in Europe" tactic is another failure. 

I’m scared to ask what ours is. Well probably have to go cap in hand to Europe in January like we do for electricity (and get charged obscene amounts).

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m scared to ask what ours is. Well probably have to go cap in hand to Europe in January like we do for electricity (and get charged obscene amounts).

You are right to be scared.  The UK only holds 4 or 5 winter days of gas storage.  Compare that to Germany who have around 80 winter days of storage.  

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

You are right to be scared.  The UK only holds 4 or 5 winter days of gas storage.  Compare that to Germany who have around 80 winter days of storage.  

That said we’ve been helping Europe fill their stores because we’ve got the LNG plants to unload it, then pump it over to Europe. I imagine they’ll send some back if we need.

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don't we have a supply deal with Norway anyway? Sure I read that somewhere?

I believe the UK policy is based upon a belief that North Sea supplies and Norwegian supplies provide a steady flow that cannot be interrupted.  

We all know that undersea pipelines are safe from attack..........

2 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I believe the UK policy is based upon a belief that North Sea supplies and Norwegian supplies provide a steady flow that cannot be interrupted.  

We all know that undersea pipelines are safe from attack..........

Good point, but you'd suspect that attacking an active gas pipeline between two NATO countries would be considered an act of war.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Good point, but you'd suspect that attacking an active gas pipeline between two NATO countries would be considered an act of war.

You would do but I'm a bit suspicious of the Shetland comms cable that's just been lost, coincidence? 

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

You would do but I'm a bit suspicious of the Shetland comms cable that's just been lost, coincidence? 

Probably a fishing trawler that snagged that, or is that what they want us to believe...

Â