• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Brace for a tough few days. Putin will annex parts of Ukraine and hard threaten the use of nukes. 

What does hard threaten mean? Threaten on TV with a clenched fist or something? 

It's only food for the media and propagandists. Nothing changes for Ukraine as Putin was always going to throw bodies in the way of Ukrainian advances. 

The bottom line is it doesn't matter how many Russians he throws into these areas. Sooner or later those that survive will want to go home, not die on foreign soil or live in a disaster zone indefinitely. 

Just now, avfc1982am said:

What does hard threaten mean? Threaten on TV with a clenched fist or something? 

It's only food for the media and propagandists. Nothing changes for Ukraine as Putin was always going to throw bodies in the way of Ukrainian advances. 

The bottom line is it doesn't matter how many Russians he throws into these areas. Sooner or later those that survive will want to go home, not die on foreign soil or live in a disaster zone indefinitely. 

Well to date it's been mainly implied threats. What will we do if he says flat out that attacks on Donbass will be met with nuclear attack on Kyiv? What will we do? Is it a bluff? Will we call it? These questions scare the s**t out of me, to be honest.

• Like 1

Let’s look at this logically…

Putin will probably say that at attack on the new Russian Territory could result in the use of a nuke.  
But he clearly knows this will not be effective because he has called up 300,000 soldiers to reinforce the area. 
Why call up 300,000 troops if you intend to nuke Ukraine?  

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well to date it's been mainly implied threats. What will we do if he says flat out that attacks on Donbass will be met with nuclear attack on Kyiv? What will we do? Is it a bluff? Will we call it? These questions scare the s**t out of me, to be honest.

Ukraine will ignore the threat. If Putin then nukes Kyiv he loses any support he ever had.  No-one will stand with him.  It will literally be Russia against the world.  
The US will wipe out the Russian Army in Ukraine in a few days and the Ukrainians will stop at the border.  
Russia will die a slow death of isolation from the world community. History will remember Putin as the man that nuked Kyiv and destroyed Russia.  

If it indeed is Russia that has blown up the Nord Stream 1 & 2 gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea this morning then you could argue that the threats from Putin are a bit serious.

Edited by sne

Just now, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Ukraine will ignore the threat. If Putin then nukes Kyiv he loses any support he ever had.  No-one will stand with him.  It will literally be Russia against the world.  
The US will wipe out the Russian Army in Ukraine in a few days and the Ukrainians will stop at the border.  
Russia will die a slow death of isolation from the world community. History will remember Putin as the man that nuked Kyiv and destroyed Russia.  

If he nukes Kyiv would we not respond in kind? 

If we attack Russian troops in Donbas would he not threaten WW3.

Imo if he nukes Kyiv it will 100% be ww3

16 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Let’s look at this logically…

Putin will probably say that at attack on the new Russian Territory could result in the use of a nuke.  
But he clearly knows this will not be effective because he has called up 300,000 soldiers to reinforce the area. 
Why call up 300,000 troops if you intend to nuke Ukraine?  

That's a fair point  but you could argue that he (quite rightly) has limited faith in his troops. Plus he would need troops to be on the ground fighting in Donbas to exemplify an attack by outside forces on that area. 

This feels very worrying at the moment. Hopefully it's all a storm in a teacup. 

10 minutes ago, sne said:

If it indeed is Russia that has blown up the Nord Stream 1 & 2 gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea this morning then you could argue that the threats from Putin are a but serious.

Why? It’s two gas pipelines owned by Russia through which nothing was flowing. It’s a move that shows the potential for escalation without actually really escalating - which is what Putin has been doing this whole time.

If he’d attacked one of the pipes carrying Norwegian gas to Europe then there’d be serious discussions going on about what was going to happen next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Also,   its one thing doing a surprise attack,  its a totally different game if the US actually has its finger actually touching a real big trigger aimed at your head.

He twitches wrong and fires up some missile engines,  even as a test,  he might regret it.

North Korea,  fires missiles all over the gaff.  Putin wouldn't dare even as a joke.  Putin,  he's like the local hardman on a council estate,  won't risk town for a drink.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

If he nukes Kyiv would we not respond in kind? 

If we attack Russian troops in Donbas would he not threaten WW3.

Imo if he nukes Kyiv it will 100% be ww3

I doubt it as surely Putins allies would no longer support him in the event of him firing off nukes and it would be most of the world vs Russia? Over very quickly I imagine.

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Why? It’s two gas pipelines owned by Russia through which nothing was flowing. It’s a move that shows the potential for escalation without actually really escalating - which is what Putin has been doing this whole time.

If he’d attacked one of the pipes carrying Norwegian gas to Europe then there’d be serious discussions going on about what was going to happen next.

I thought there was gas escaping? It looks like that in the pictures.

29 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We don't get to call anything, Ukraine will. Make no mistake, Ukraine is not going to back down and neither are the West in support, so Putin will have no choice at some point and either have to put up or shut up. 

Just now, HKP90 said:

I thought there was gas escaping? It looks like that in the pictures.

Yeah, I’m not completely sure about how gas pipelines work but I know the flow was cut off some time ago.

I suspect they have to keep gas in the pipeline even if nothing is flowing though, else the water pressure would crush the pipe. So that’s what we’re seeing escaping maybe?

24 minutes ago, sne said:

If it indeed is Russia that has blown up the Nord Stream 1 & 2 gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea this morning then you could argue that the threats from Putin are a bit serious.

Considering it was\is one of his biggest lines of revenue I'd say it's a bit stupid. I'd argue that he could probably win over Germany again if he'd pulled out of Ukraine and said he was sorry. Now that he's sabotaged his own nose to spite his face they won't ever buy from them again.

36 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I know he talks bollocks, but it's scary bollocks.

But these battlefield nukes don't really have a massive military advantage. There are no concentrations of men and materials to attack with one of these. 

Using one will have China and India cut them off from support. It could result in a complete blockade of Russia and a proportional NATO/US response. If you use a tactical nuke we will destroy one of your Russian armies. 

For every tactical nuke or chemical weapon used there is a proportional response. USA has explained the response up front 

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Yeah, I’m not completely sure about how gas pipelines work but I know the flow was cut off some time ago.

I suspect they have to keep gas in the pipeline even if nothing is flowing though, else the water pressure would crush the pipe. So that’s what we’re seeing escaping maybe?

Bingo.

• Like 2

Â