Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Extremely close range though, you rarely see that.

Someone suggested that it was a remotely operated anti-tank weapon. So the ambushers can place it quite close to the road, while they hide further away.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Zelensky said that 500-600 Russian soldiers surrendered yesterday (Friday). Pretty incredible if true.

In one day? Is this the total or just friday

Edited by avfc1982am

Just now, avfc1982am said:

In one day?

I think so, but not 100%. It’s says on Friday, rather than by Friday

Indie

Mr Zelensky also revealed that between 500-600 Russian soldiers had surrendered to Ukrainian forces on Friday

Even if it was total over 3 weeks it’s humiliating for Putin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think so, but not 100%. It’s says on Friday, rather than by Friday

Indie

Even if it was total over 3 weeks it’s humiliating for Putin.

Yeah, it's not clear if this is the total or just the one day. 1,300 Ukrainian soldiers dead also. I think that maybe higher. 

Agreed, very humiliating for Putin. Also heard he had fired 8 Generals since the start of the war. Obviously things aren't going to plan. 

22 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Yeah, it's not clear if this is the total or just the one day. 1,300 Ukrainian soldiers dead also. I think that maybe higher. 

Agreed, very humiliating for Putin. Also heard he had fired 8 Generals since the start of the war. Obviously things aren't going to plan. 

He's fired a couple of senior Intelligence officers as well. The theory is either they claimed to have operatives inside the upper echelons of Ukraine who would takeover from Zelensky once war broke out, or they provided the information that the people of Ukraine would welcome their takeover, or probably both. 

Either way it shows the danger of a Dictator surrounding himself with yes men who are too scared to tell the truth and only tell the boss what he wants to hear because to tell him otherwise risks dismissal or death anyway. 

He's just never going to know the truth on the ground if everyone is too scared to tell it to him. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Either way it shows the danger of a Dictator surrounding himself with yes men who are too scared to tell the truth and only tell the boss what he wants to hear because to tell him otherwise risks dismissal or death anyway. 

He's just never going to know the truth on the ground if everyone is too scared to tell it to him. 

Agree with this. Not specifically commenting on this case, but speaking generally I think never hearing anyone say 'no', 'that's a bad idea', or 'we can't do that' is pretty much guaranteed to lead to cognitive decline and bad decision making.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I also made that assumption yet still found it rather an odd thing to say.

There are often odd things said, some in this very thread.

This post for example.

I was just intrigued by the notion that people posting too often on an Aston Villa fans message board about the Russia-Ukraine conflict would inadvertently threaten global security.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Agree with this. Not specifically commenting on this case, but speaking generally I think never hearing anyone say 'no', 'that's a bad idea', or 'we can't do that' is pretty much guaranteed to lead to cognitive decline and bad decision making.

It's always been a key reason why very centralised autocracies have failed throughout history. Putin is effectively a king / tsar at this point, and has been for a while.

And it's one of the reasons China has been more successful - they have more of an oligarchy model (in the true sense of the word), with multiple power centres, and the leader being replaced fairly often compared with most non-democratic regimes. It's still riddled with corruption, but that churn helps to prevent one person from just accumulating so much power that everything revolves around their whims - although arguably Xi Jinping is trying to push against that.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I've worked for people like that. Never for very long though. Either they get found out or in one case I walked. Can't work for anyone I don't respect. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

This post for example.

I was just intrigued by the notion that people posting too often on an Aston Villa fans message board about the Russia-Ukraine conflict would inadvertently threaten global security.

You did get the wrong end of the stick...

To clarify a few pages back a few posters were getting quite confrontational with one another.

I was merely trying to suggest we all chill...I wasn't worried by any threats to global security at all.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think we might need to rename this thread "The War of 2022" or (hopefully not) "WWIII", since Iran just launched a missile attack on the US consulate in Erbil, Iraq (capital of Kurdistan).

Putting it in here, because surely coordinated with Putin.

Eurgh. For ****'s **** sake.

I see this on Twitter but nothing on news outlets. Is the embassy compound in Iraq currently staffed?

2 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

It’s one day that, Ukraine had over 3,000 Russian POWs a week ago

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

It’s one day that, Ukraine had over 3,000 Russian POWs a week ago

That's quite staggering. Would also be interesting to know how they're holding POW's. Whether these are in a normal Ukraine prison or held elsewhere were there is no chance of them breaking out or being freed. I mean, they must have as many prisoners as those they've killed. I know they emptied their prisons so they're probably kept in these facilities but a huge risk if your under siege across the Country. 

I’ve been calling for it for a long time, a no fly zone is undeniably risky and not something I’d do, but we could at least supply Ukraine with patriot like aa systems to stop the bombing of the cities in the west. At some point Russia will be out of long range guided missiles and we’ll need to ensure Ukraine can defend themselves when they start sending soviet era stuff in with an even worse accuracy than what they’re launching now.

Poland in particular could just drive these over the border, arm them and create an umbrella over Lviv/Frankovsk/Lutsk. These are also the areas where most refugees are heading out so it’d give us causality to do. We need to ensure Ukraine has safe areas for supplies and training.

• Like 1

Â