Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

Russia is looking more and more isolated now.  Even Germany is changing it's entire post war political strategy around arms supply.  The world has finally signed off on Swift expulsion which looked unlikely. China abstained on the NATO resolution rather than Veto. 

Russia may have saved up for this but they're not coming back from this for years. Long term it's going to hurt them massively, this war is going to be massively expensive in itself. 

I really don't see The West going straight back to buying so much Russian oil and gas. The foolishness of that strategy has been starkly laid bare this week.  They will already be working on long terms alternative strategies.  And  in the long term, in fact probably medium term the world's reliance on Oil and Gas is going to decline slowly then accelerating. 

Russia is going to have to find new ways to pay it's way in the world. 

I think the message need to go out strongly to those surrounding Putin making it clear that once Putin is removed The West will work with them to rebuild Russia and bring it back into the Worldwide community. 

They need to understand that Putin is not their best option for the future of Russia. 

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If he actually said it, turning down a chance to flee the country with 'I don't need a ride, I need ammo' might go down with 'come and take them' on the military bravado stakes.

Definitely up there with “we’ll fight them on the beaches” and “get to the chopper”

The thing I really don’t get about the whole affair is that Putin clearly didn’t want anything realistic from the negotiations - so why spend so long posturing and threatening to invade?

If he’d just built up loads of troops in a two week period under the guise of exercises and then launched a “surprise” attack, the Ukrainians would have had less time to prepare and receive arms shipments, and NATO would have had less time to forge consensus on sanctions etc. He might have split his opponents at least a bit.

Instead he played it the worst way possible. If you’re definitely going to invade a country, don’t warn them in advance and give them months to prepare. The mind boggles.

Edited by Panto_Villan

18 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

The thing I really don’t get about the whole affair is that Putin clearly didn’t want anything realistic from the negotiations - so why spend so long posturing and threatening to invade?

If he’d just built up loads of troops in a two week period under the guise of exercises and then launched a “surprise” attack, the Ukrainians would have had less time to prepare and receive arms shipments, and NATO would have had less time to forge consensus on sanctions etc. He might have split his opponents at least a bit.

Instead he played it the worst way possible. If you’re definitely going to invade a country, don’t warn them in advance and give them months to prepare. The mind boggles.

Or just do it while Trump was in? 

7 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Oh Jesus, can you Imagine? 

He'd probably be supplying military hardware to Russia! 

Would be zero leadership, no pressure, no sanctions, would probably have vetoed the frigging UN. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh Jesus, can you Imagine? 

He'd probably be supplying military hardware to Russia! 

Would be zero leadership, no pressure, no sanctions, would probably have vetoed the frigging UN. 

Yeah, and it's worth remembering that Trump was literally impeached for fraudulently witholding $400m of military aid to Ukraine in the hopes of getting Zelensky to make up dirt on Biden's son for him.

Crazy.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Jeepers, I hope not.

As someone who grew up boxing and and knowing many people in the sport I'd be devastated if true. Both brothers are such gentlemen it would be a hard thing to take without feeling real anger. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Pretty much everything in that post appears to be incorrect, a non-sequitur, or irrelevent.

Ultimately although you may be proved correct that the Russian military is much weaker than anyone (except apparently you) anticipated, from what I can see you seem to have come to that conclusion through a lot of faulty logic and dubious assumptions.

I'm aware I'm the one that's been replying to your posts, though, so I'll leave you be now.

What a great, fact based summary for why you think Russian military is so awesome. ‘Everything you said is wrong’.

Russian military is just as much hampered by Putin’s kleptomania as all other Russian institutions. 

Â