2017 European general elections

StefanAVFC

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

That's the good news, bad news is 11M French are so pissed off they voted for fascism in drag. In addition 12% spoiled ballots, another 4M voters.

Europe writ large just dodged a bullet but it should trigger some serious soul searching. I suspect we'll see triumphalism instead and the problem will continue to grow. 

I'm not so sure it's good news. It may just be the worst news postponed but let's see how much of an autocrat Macron turns out to be and whether that turns many more people towards this new patriotic alliance of official opposition that Le Pen has just spoken about in her speech (the future is patriots v globalists and so on).

Edited by snowychap
change 'bad news to the worst

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

I'm not so sure it's good news. It may just be bad news postponed but let's see how much of an autocrat Macron turns out to be and whether that turns many more people towards this new patriotic alliance of official opposition that Le Pen has just spoken about in her speech (the future is patriots v globalists and so on).

It's good news insofar as a fascist is not president of France. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's good news insofar as a fascist is not president of France. 

I think it's possible to look beyond the simple result of today's vote. Indeed, I think it's necessary especially with the kind of hype (and associated lack of scrutiny) following Macron.

35 minutes ago, Awol said:

That's the good news, bad news is 11M French are so pissed off they voted for fascism in drag. In addition 12% spoiled ballots, another 4M voters.

Yeah, there are dicks voting in every poll. The French should be commended that only 11m of them are dicks rather than the 17m that we've got.

So problems-wise, they're doing better than we are.

Edited by ml1dch

36 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think it's possible to look beyond the simple result of today's vote. Indeed, I think it's necessary especially with the kind of hype (and associated lack of scrutiny) following Macron.

Kinda suspect this will be the model adopted by the really zealous Remainers after the election here. 

New party, same old faces, flash branding and bags of cash, no substance other than EU mania. Basically UKIP in reverse.

17 minutes ago, Awol said:

Kinda suspect this will be the model adopted by the really zealous Remainers after the election here. 

New party, same old faces, flash branding and bags of cash, no substance other than EU mania. Basically UKIP in reverse.

Are you picturing some sort of demonic rebirth of Blair? :(

At the moment LePen has a ceiling on her support so to her parties extreme views. She is leading the French version of the BNP. 

The danger is if she is able to remodel the party to a more socially acceptable version, akin to a French UKIP. She may well be able to reach a position of power. 

• Like 1

France has just elected the most neoliberal candidate in its history - a man who has pledged to remove whole swathes of French labour protection, to reduce corporate taxes, to sell off national assets, to privatise and they've done it by offering the French a choice between two plates of utter crap.

No happy ending was available - we may have been better off with the fascist.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

France has just elected the most neoliberal candidate in its history - a man who has pledged to remove whole swathes of French labour protection, to reduce corporate taxes, to sell off national assets, to privatise and they've done it by offering the French a choice between two plates of utter crap.

No, just no, was with you until this. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

didn't know these things.

I'm finding it hard in the current climate to understand what the centre ground is. What is seen as moderate in the public's collective conscience is drifting further and further to the right.

39 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

No, just no, was with you until this. 

Yeah, fair enough. You're right on that.

I'm just a bit annoyed about France lurching to the right and claiming some sort of social victory. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I know it sounds a little tin-foil hat wearing, but it's almost as if it there was collusion in order to push the electorate's consciousness that way.

All you would need is a press controlled by the wealthy few who share the same interests as some international conglomerates with the financial clout to lobby (see: buy off) politicians. Throw that in with basic human greed and people down the chain generally being self-interested and hey-ho, divide and conquer becomes quite easy.

I should have been a money and power hungry maniacal evil do-er.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I know it sounds a little tin-foil hat wearing, but it's almost as if it there was collusion in order to push the electorate's consciousness that way.

All you would need is a press controlled by the wealthy few who share the same interests as some international conglomerates with the financial clout to lobby (see: buy off) politicians. Throw that in with basic human greed and people down the chain generally being self-interested and hey-ho, divide and conquer becomes quite easy.

I should have been a money and power hungry maniacal evil do-er.

gala-politique-le-mystere-macron.jpg

Some interesting developments after sunday's vote in France with Le Pen (Marine) saying that she's going to transform and rename the FN whilst her niece (one of the two FN MPs) has decided not to stand for re-election. Will she go away for a few years, wait and see if her aunt fails and come back with a more Jean-Marie style party?

Meanwhile, Valls has said that he wants to run for parliament as part of the Macron movement (which has also been renamed, apparently).

Â