Your favorite quote

Ikantcpell

Remember reading one in university that stuck by me. "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without getting your facts straight." Might be getting the quote slightly wrong, but I remember it was E.B. White. 

• Like 1

Some last words are quite good. 

William Palmer, “The Rugeley Poisoner” when standing on the gallows about to be executed looked at the trap door and supposedly said to the hangman “Are you sure it’s safe?”. 

And of course when Adam Faith departed he was quoted as leaving us with the poignant "Channel 5 is all shit, isn't it? Christ, the crap they put on there. It's a waste of space.”

• 2 weeks later...

One of, anyway:

“I’ve wrestled with alligators,
I’ve tussled with a whale.
I done handcuffed lightning
And throw thunder in jail.
You know I’m bad.
just last week, I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
I’m so mean, I make medicine sick.”

-Muhammad Ali

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

I know nothing of the Kurdish people other than they are one culture that has got recognition for the genocide committed against them. Excuse my ignorance again VT, just airing my thoughts. I like the spirit of this Musa fella.

He reminds me of my Papou, in an outburst of rage against the indecency and injustice he felt committed against our family, *puts on best Greek accent* "They don't ah-understand-ah, I'm-ah make-ah them-ah ah-understand-ah!!!"

Edited by A'Villan

"Profound" quotes always get ruined by repetition by others, but some of the stuff that you hear through the 12-step programmes is pretty wise. A couple of examples:

• “Being a little kinder, a little slower to anger, a little more loving makes my life better—day by day.”
  • “...one of the primary differences between alcoholics and nonalcoholics is that nonalcoholics change their behaviour to meet their goals and alcoholics change their goals to meet their behaviours.”

I also love this scene in Blackadder Goes Forth:

Melchett: Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.
Blackadder: Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?
Captain Darling: How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!
Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.
Melchett: Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem.
Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds.
Melchett: That's right. And Field Marshal Haig is worried this may be depressing the men a tad. So he's looking for a way to cheer them up.
Blackadder: Well, his resignation and suicide seems the obvious choice.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 00:45, KentVillan said:

"Profound" quotes always get ruined by repetition by others, but some of the stuff that you hear through the 12-step programmes is pretty wise. A couple of examples:

• “Being a little kinder, a little slower to anger, a little more loving makes my life better—day by day.”
  • “...one of the primary differences between alcoholics and nonalcoholics is that nonalcoholics change their behaviour to meet their goals and alcoholics change their goals to meet their behaviours.”

I also love this scene in Blackadder Goes Forth:

Melchett: Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.
Blackadder: Ah. Would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking very slowly towards the enemy?
Captain Darling: How could you possibly know that, Blackadder? It's classified information!
Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time and the seventeen times before that.
Melchett: Exactly! And that is what is so brilliant about it! It will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we've done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time! There is, however, one small problem.
Blackadder: That everyone always gets slaughtered in the first ten seconds.
Melchett: That's right. And Field Marshal Haig is worried this may be depressing the men a tad. So he's looking for a way to cheer them up.
Blackadder: Well, his resignation and suicide seems the obvious choice.

A plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel 

• Like 1

Â