January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

28 minutes ago, AJ said:

Fun...as in going from having too many strikers to a skeleton crew?

Ayew cant play in January anyway. I am sure we will bring someone in before then if we get good coin for him. 

13 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sorry just talking about Schlupp, he's a very good athlete but really not a good footballer at all, £10m odd quid would be terrible business. 

I really don't think he's that bad, and for this division not bad at all. 

Anyhoo, different strokes etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I think the fact that we generally play 3 midfielders who provide next to nothing going forward hurts him (and our other attackers). We have nobody in the middle of the park who can play a penetrating pass to release our attacking mids. Instead, the ball is ponderously given to the full-backs, who pass it on to our wingers, meaning that Ayew, Grealish, et al typically receive the ball on half-way with their backs to goal, and the whole opposition defense in front of them. Sign a decent passer in midfield, who can break the lines, and we'll see a different Ayew imo. I also agree that he's better than McCormack. Ideally, I wouldn't sell either (as I think our problems are further back the pitch), but given that we could command a similar fee for Ross, he would be out the door before Ayew for me.

100% agree. That's why it's so important that we strengthen our midfield in this window. I just wish we could resemble somewhat of a passing team but I'll be honest, I never really enjoy seeing us play we don't seem to know what to do with the ball and never seem capable of keeping hold of it. It's really embarrassing at times...

We usually just get it out wide and hope for the best, I'm so sick of seeing Hutton's excuse for crosses...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Ayew was the only regular first teamer last year who looked like he gave a toss and for that Id be sad to see him go, but if someone offers what we paid for him then we can get someone far more effective 

Any suggestions? We need a striker anyway imo.

1 hour ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Won't be a popular view, but I would be very disappointed if we sold Ayew.

Then we would have to get somebody new. We haven't had anyone good since John Carew.

Woo hoo.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Benteke :)

why not we've already earmarked   Delph , Cleverly and Downing to come back according to the papers  

Just imagine if we had Benteke, Delph and Cleverly in the same team, we would be freaking unstoppable...

Edited by Tayls

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Yes, my point was basically that players are going to come for the money first and foremost but that doesn't mean they won't be committed if you find or scout the right characters. It's important to create the right blend of players for a good team, I'm looking at Chelsea for the moment where they have a mix of style and resilience if you will and a manager who knows how to motivate his players. Different characters of players actually motivate and inspire each other too, e.g. the "hard men" keep the skilful lads on their toes etc. It's important to have a few leaders or captains in the team but also technically gifted players too.

Also, if there's a realistic chance of being successful or winning things then I suppose that inspires and compels players to play with desire and hunger too but that's not the case for many teams which is why players want to move on too.

Regarding the moneyball theme, I'm certainly not a fan of the idea of relying on figures and statistics to solely judge players on. They can be used as a basis or guide though but actual physical scouting (seeing the players in action) and getting (character) references and other information is a must. There are just too many factors involved in trying to find the right players such as how hard working they are, yes their technical level, how they get along with others, their level of commitment, do they adapt easily to different environments and tactics etc. etc. etc. 

I do think this is the aim of our new scouting team though, having read comments from both Bruce, Round and even Dr. Xia it does seem as though we will be making more concerted efforts in that sense and that at least is pleasing. Here's to the future...

very good post IMO and one I endorse entirely.

I sing off the same Hymn Sheet as you.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I'm not a mod but please let's cut the Benteke chat off here. It happens every bloody window along with Delph/Young/Downing/Barry and it's infuriating.

Great idea that, a front 6 of:

Young    Barry   Delph   Downing

Cleverley

Benteke

(Cleverley playing just off Tekers)

:trollface:

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Great idea that, a front 6 of:

Young    Barry   Delph   Downing

Cleverley

Benteke

(Cleverley playing just off Tekers)

I heard Milner was in brum earlier aswell...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I agree with this, if we can put together a midfield capable of playing 4-4-2 during this window then a front two of Ayew & Kodjia could be lethal.

Well, my suspicion is we could see something we are not seeing now and change our opinions.....this midfield is crucifying us imo

3 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

I heard Milner was in brum earlier aswell...

Perhaps Harvey Nicks Brum has better stock than the Liverpool branch:)

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, John said:

To check they are still performing as well as they had been for him and would be ready to hit the ground running to slot into our team?

I doubt last night would've gave him any indication of how they're doing! Bruce left 6 months ago so knows them inside out. I can't see us getting any Hull players now they've got the new bloke in as he'll be assessing them. I'd only really want Snodgrass anyway.