January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

Just now, dAVe80 said:

I'd have actually liked Rhodes at Villa, but the fact that no one is meeting Boro's asking price pleases me.

It'll be a very last minute deal if anything, they have shot themselves in the foot.

• Like 1

Just now, DK82 said:

It'll be a very last minute deal if anything, they have shot themselves in the foot.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rhodes at Villa by the end of the window, but I'm very happy we've stuck to our guns, and won't pay the silly asking price.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Folski said:

Not everyone starts off at United or Arsenal.

In fact a lot of players in the current England set up played in the Championship or lower.

Hart, Heaton, McCarthy, Butland.

Clyne, Stones, Walker, Jagielka, Keane, Cresswell, Smalling.

Lallana, Walcott, Drinkwater, Ox, Alli, Antonio, Delph.

Vardy.

All these players were contracted to Championship or lower clubs. There is some quality there if you can find it and players have the correct attitudes.

That was one of the points, some of the players we now have are better than we have had in years, but I was also pointing to the fact that 70% of championship teams struggle in the prem.

With either a great level of determination and togetherness they can survive but eventually you should be looking at adding proven quality that will compliment the squad.

you don't see the bigger teams going for 5 championship players, they will look at 1 or 2 and try to develop them into premiership quality players. Hopefully though with some of the signings we have made they will be good enough to play in the prem when we get there.

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I can understand why we have prioritised Hogan, I mean he is in form and scoring goals right now, I think Rhodes could take a while to warm up.

Hogan IMO is the better player, has more strings to his bow and more upside should we get promoted anytime soon. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

Well Tony said the 2 coming in are at 95% and 99% then said thats all for january window so cant see any last minute bids happening

Granted. But if Boro cave in late, I am sure we would look at it again if Hogan doesn't happen.

28 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

But he knew what he was signing up for. It was clear as day that him choosing sunderland as the place to rebuild his career was bonkers. I'd much prefer Bruce in charge of transfers than Moyes. 

Fair point but I don't think he knew the finance would be pulled from under him. Anyway we're off topic so back to Villa transfers. :)

Just now, stewiek2 said:

Looking at the obligatory youtube clips what I like about Hogan is he is two-footed. Comfortable on the ball with both feet and is a bit of a poacher, something we've lacked for a good while now.

Reminds me a bit of Shearer.