January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I said this a month ago. Until the end of the season he would improve us no end. Also think Grealish and possibly McCormack would thrive off his intelligence 

He was at Brightons training facility last week so that's probably one of the clubs he is alluding too. 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I said this a month ago. Until the end of the season he would improve us no end. Also think Grealish and possibly McCormack would thrive off his intelligence 

As a voice in the dressing room maybe, don't think he has anything to offer playing wise at this level.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What's Kate got to do with it all?

Seems a bit harsh to blame her for it all.

I meant right wrong time of the month to sign him and it changed it to Kate! Now that's what I call predictive text 

15 minutes ago, Villastine said:

As a voice in the dressing room maybe, don't think he has anything to offer playing wise at this level.

He was benched towards end of the MLS season so I think age has caught up with him 

1 hour ago, Eastie said:

Birmingham Mail are reporting we have now made a bid for jordan Rhodes - slowly but surely things are starting to happen .

Personally I think rhodes is shit 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

In what way(s)?

Had his brief flurry of doing anything now just a has been wage collector. He will do **** all at Villa and if he arrives it will mean Kodjia is binned out wide making him totally redundant too.

Not the right signing at all. Should be looking elsewhere. He is slow, can't hold the ball up and poses no aerial threat what so ever.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Decent finisher providing he has the players to create those chances - hopefully we will get them in as well.

The think is though mate, we have a number of 'one trick ponies' and i think that has contributed to our demise. We have Jedinak who can't pass a ball 5yrds, that will apparently look better with better players around him, because he is seemingly just there to win headers. We had Gestede (thankfully no longer) that offered the square root of feck all, but apparently would have scored loads of goals if we had a couple of fantastic crossers in the squad. Last week i even read that Westwood would be great if he had top class defensive and attacking midfielders next him. 

I appreciate that since relegation we aren't able to shop at Harrods, but a good player is a good player. I'm sick of seeing subpar players in the squad that can only operate effectively under a specific set of circumstances. 

Edited by av1

17 minutes ago, KHV said:

Had his brief flurry of doing anything now just a has been wage collector. He will do **** all at Villa and if he arrives it will mean Kodjia is binned out wide making him totally redundant too.

Not the right signing at all. Should be looking elsewhere. He is slow, can't hold the ball up and poses no aerial threat what so ever.

What? If he was a wage collector he'd stay a time Boro a team he signed for last year and got promoted. What's classed as brief? He's been scoring for years. He may well do nothing here he won't be the first but if he did sign today he'd be the best striker at the club until Kodija came back anyway. He is a proper no9 so he could easily work with Kodija or McCormack. We'd have the option of playing Kodija wide in games but that's exactly what we need options!! We need another striker. His track record is good. He is better than what we have. Add him to a new midfield and I think we can have a crack at 6th. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, weedman said:

We have the same (ish) problem this  year that we had last year, we have a hugely unbalanced squad because we tried to sign a whole team in 1 transfer window - this also meant it takes months to figure out our best team. 

But we didn't buy a whole team.  We bought a load of players who all played in the same position and then tried to figure out how to play them all in the same team.  If we had bought a whole team (i.e. one player for each position in the starting XI - rather than just the random scatter-gun approach we seemed to have take) then it would have taken about 5 minutes to figure out our best team (we'd have just signed it!).  Players train together all the time - so it really shouldn't take 6 months for a team to gel especially if you play the same team (bar the odd injury and suspension) every week.  We might have been a bit dodgy in August, maybe at a push September.  As it is we have been dodgy all the way through to January.

I once worked on a project that had been going to **** for 12 months. The team comprised about 10 people.  I identified that of those 10 only 2 or 3 were actually any good.  I got rid of all the people I didn't rate and replaced them with people who were talented in the roles that I required.  It took us a few weeks to get the team together and handover the project / domain knowledge.  I'd say that within 4 weeks the new team was as effective as the old team (the old team really wasn't very good), another 2 weeks before they were actively more effective and OK maybe 3 months until they were flying and working at close to their full potential.  But that was still 6 weeks of being noticeably better than the old team before they really hit their stride.

This is exactly where Villa were in June / July.  OK football transfers are not the same as the usual job market - but it was our failure to recruit a coherent squad that was the problem not the number of players we bought.  Every one of us looked at our central midfield at the end of August with disbelief.  Nearly all of us were concerned about the lack of depth in defence.  A lot of us commented on how unbalanced the squad was and how many players seemed to be "out of position".

Once you have a decent team then I agree with your point that you should only be tinkering and adding 2-4 players per window.  But we had one of the worst squads in Premier League history and needed a major overhaul.  if you have a crappy old mini that is falling apart - there is no point in buying a new exhaust, a new steering wheel and a new set of tyres.  You are still left with a crappy old mini that is falling apart with some nice new,shiny bits.  Better off to send the mini to the scrapyard and buy yourself a new one.  Will take you a few weeks to figure out what all the new gizmos do, etc - but once you do you are sorted for a few years (bar the odd bit of maintenance and maybe replacing the odd bit because you realise that the extra funky alloys you bought just make you look like a bit of a clearing in the woods).   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

How can Middlesborough buy a striker for 6m who they deem good enough, but they sell us a striker they don't want for £12m?

It's completely illogical. 

especially when the new striker is in front of the old one in the pecking order......although I guess the new face will be naturally, but the value seems contradictory.

I made the same point a few pages back.....I guess there is no logic, just degrees of desperation.;)

15 minutes ago, allani said:

But we didn't buy a whole team.  We bought a load of players who all played in the same position and then tried to figure out how to play them all in the same team.  If we had bought a whole team (i.e. one player for each position in the starting XI - rather than just the random scatter-gun approach we seemed to have take) then it would have taken about 5 minutes to figure out our best team (we'd have just signed it!).  Players train together all the time - so it really shouldn't take 6 months for a team to gel especially if you play the same team (bar the odd injury and suspension) every week.  We might have been a bit dodgy in August, maybe at a push September.  As it is we have been dodgy all the way through to January.

I once worked on a project that had been going to **** for 12 months. The team comprised about 10 people.  I identified that of those 10 only 2 or 3 were actually any good.  I got rid of all the people I didn't rate and replaced them with people who were talented in the roles that I required.  It took us a few weeks to get the team together and handover the project / domain knowledge.  I'd say that within 4 weeks the new team was as effective as the old team (the old team really wasn't very good), another 2 weeks before they were actively more effective and OK maybe 3 months until they were flying and working at close to their full potential.  But that was still 6 weeks of being noticeably better than the old team before they really hit their stride.

This is exactly where Villa were in June / July.  OK football transfers are not the same as the usual job market - but it was our failure to recruit a coherent squad that was the problem not the number of players we bought.  Every one of us looked at our central midfield at the end of August with disbelief.  Nearly all of us were concerned about the lack of depth in defence.  A lot of us commented on how unbalanced the squad was and how many players seemed to be "out of position".

Once you have a decent team then I agree with your point that you should only be tinkering and adding 2-4 players per window.  But we had one of the worst squads in Premier League history and needed a major overhaul.  if you have a crappy old mini that is falling apart - there is no point in buying a new exhaust, a new steering wheel and a new set of tyres.  You are still left with a crappy old mini that is falling apart with some nice new,shiny bits.  Better off to send the mini to the scrapyard and buy yourself a new one.  Will take you a few weeks to figure out what all the new gizmos do, etc - but once you do you are sorted for a few years (bar the odd bit of maintenance and maybe replacing the odd bit because you realise that the extra funky alloys you bought just make you look like a bit of a clearing in the woods).   

I like your analogy, but let me add a bit more.

If all those talented new recruits you took on where of questionable character and despite their talent on the job, had difficulty in applying that talent due to various elements like not turning up, knocking days off, coming in with hangovers, lack concentration.....and generally not APPLYING that talent to the project.....where would you be, maybe in the same place as you was.

My point is there is much more than any single dimensional problem/issue.....its many factors, we need to fix.

I have seen players play for Aston Villa over the years who have not necessarily had more talent than the ones we have now......but they gave more heart/passion and physical endeavour to the cause.....I am not dismissing raw talent, but without the other ingredients, its is questionable to its effect.

Edited by TRO