Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Sadly I am in total agreement with you.

The fanciful idea that Steve knows whats wrong but has made us hard to beat to improve confidence but in the summer will have us playing a more effective attacking game is a pipe dream. Trouble is that some of the fans who are either still in favour of keeping Bruce or at best undecided are now saying things like "I will give him the first 6 games", "he will have to get of to a great start", not exactly firm backing of the manager.

Speaking only for myself - that is where I am, and it seems like a number of other posters have a similar view.  I don't think you can firmly back him on either the results or performances to date.  The extenuating circumstances for me are that he has a) inherited a massive ****, b ) come in mid-season and c) made wholesale changes to the squad.  I think he's sorted out some of a).  The c) part he brought upon himself and acknowledged that in Jan he made too many changes too soon.  And because of the b ) part, he's been changing things on the fly to get the best results he can but it's been game to game with limited opportunity to develop things in training.  This is where he gets a pass for me, but where the pressure post-summer ramps up.  He'll have time and resources to get it right.  And if he doesn't, then he'll have to go.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

I know you put the blame firmly at the foot of the players and none on the manager which I feel is very one sided as not all the players can be "not good enough" at some point you have to ask why our better players are performing so poorly.

Why under Bruce has the "bit in bold" had absolutely bugger all effect,

1. Yes I believe he has had enough time to see some improvement in playing style, improve the pass and move part because if this isnt being done on the training ground then he should be sacked now.

2. No. Plainly not.

3. If they aren't then again he should be sacked.

4. Possibly.

64 million dollar question....like i have said, we all have our own suspicions.

You misconstrue my offerings.

I am merely saying that he has incompleted his job so I am reserving my judgment.....I am as equally unsure if the players are what we thought they were, so I am reserving my judgment there too.

We all know the football is turgid, what we don't know, is why( we assume).....just because the manager has to take responsibility for it, does not make him to blame....He has to try an find a fix and he is doing so.....He has plans for the summer, we will see if your claims are upholding or indeed mine.....I think he will fix it, but I have no more certainty than you have that he won't.

.....but he won't be sacked, so it is all a bit hypothetical.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Nearly everyone is saying that come the start of next season there can be no more excuses for him, if some people are only going to give him 6 or so games before deciding he is a dead horse its going to turn nasty quickly if our current style continues.

I am not ruling out further additions improving us but do wonder if the manager has the first clue how to assemble an attacking team.

• I have seen 1 maybe 2 posters say he has 6 games ;) not sure that is the overall consensus, but for sure there will be a time ( reasonably) when the reasoning will be questioned.
  • Well the last manager knew how to assemble an attacking team.....just didn't know how to assemble one to defend......so maybe its reasonable to think fixing it ALL takes a bit longer than we bargained for.

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

I thought TRO ran the Kebab shop that Steve Bruce frequents.......:D

just be careful.....I may have the last laugh:D

I don't care a jot if its Steve Bruce or uncle Tom Cobbly......I just want a manager to have a fair chance to fix what has been a shocking state of affairs for too long.

I just happen to think he hasn't.....as yet.

He has at least stopped us losing, which was a major issue.....now he has to work on the next issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • I have seen 1 maybe 2 posters say he has 6 games ;) not sure that is the overall consensus, but for sure there will be a time ( reasonably) when the reasoning will be questioned.
  • Well the last manager knew how to assemble an attacking team.....just didn't know how to assemble one to defend......so maybe its reasonable to think fixing it ALL takes a bit longer than we bargained for.

Agreed, and indeed it takes longer, when the wrong guy is kept on longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I bet if you took a poll of the wider fan base less than 5% would advocate sacking Bruce. 

I'm not saying anything beyond that, I'm just saying. 

I think that is a fair point all the fans I have spoken to other than on VT ....have said to me "are you joking", when I have mentioned some want him gone.

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Agreed, and indeed it takes longer, when the wrong guy is kept on longer.

That is very true.....and a risk I guess we all have to live with.

The hierarchy will know what is being done down at BMH and there are enough advisors around the place to organise Brexit.

Dr Xia himself has been around the place on many occasions.

I think there is enough know how, to know whether he is on the right lines or not.

However, when the facts are proven to the contrary.....we will all know and he will go.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Whatever he's doing at BMH ,if its a reflection of how the team plays ,then let's hope he starts doing something different . There's only so much tedium a man can take .

Sheepy its frustrating for us all......but I hope you redress this, if he sorts it all out and goes on to produce a team that we are all pleased with.

equally, I will come on here if its doesn't work out and say I got it wrong.

is that a deal?

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Whatever he's doing at BMH ,if its a reflection of how the team plays ,then let's hope he starts doing something different . There's only so much tedium a man can take .

He might be doing everything the same, but the reaction is different.....what then;)

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Sheepy its frustrating for us all......but I hope you redress this, if he sorts it all out and goes on to produce a team that we are all pleased with.

is that a deal?

I'd be perfectly happy to be wrong  . What matters is Aston Villa ,not the egos of certain individuals ,including mine . I respect your opinion TRO as frustrating as it may be .And I'm sensible enough to know we both desire the same ends  although the means to that end may somewhat differ, but yes ,I will be the first to hold up my hand should Bruce succeed. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'd be perfectly happy to be wrong  . What matters is Aston Villa ,not the egos of certain individuals ,including mine . I respect your opinion TRO as frustrating as it may be .And I'm sensible enough to know we both desire the same ends  although the means to that end may somewhat differ, but yes ,I will be the first to hold up my hand should Bruce succeed. 

Fair Play mate, its not just tit for tat.....I respect the opposing opinions too.....and know exactly their frustrations.

You are so right.....its Villa First and we ALL want the best for them.:)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

is that a deal?

my money's on Sheepy

• Like 3

On 4/25/2017 at 16:26, srsmithusa said:

I wish I could have been there too.  I've been involved in changing organizational culture a few times.  It's never easy.  I have grown to giving Bruce more benefit of the doubt that maybe it's different in what is essentially the entertainment industry.  His methods would never work in the education field. I would feel more confident if you had left off the phrase...

"that does not mean he can fix it with what he has otherwise, he would"  That's what scares me.  He has not IMO "fixed it" with what he has (or what he got in January).  But "what we have" is all any of us have (hope that's not too confusing.)   As I've said, I think that IS the culture that needs to be fixed.  "We're doing the best we can given our current situation."  ALWAYS becomes an excuse for mediocrity.  Or in this case, bland, uninspiring performances with an improved point return.

I can't change that line because I believe it.

If it turns out we have bought wrong, he has to fix it......you perhaps may have more time in your industry to make the right decisions on recruitment.

He came in on the back of one win in 15  and had to make us hard to beat...........He then limped in to Jan and went for the populist signings.

We will see if it was right.

Just seen some odds for the title next season in the championship.

Aston Villa 9/4 favourites......Derby second favourites

Edited by TRO

Can he not work on making us harder to beat and our passing & movement at the same time, otherwise you assume we are standing in formation booting up the pitch to Hogan or in the general area around Hogan

• Like 1

Â