Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-12045738

Steve Bruce intends to use his first Aston Villa victory as a launchpad for a promotion revival.

Villa's 2-1 win at Reading means Bruce has taken four points from two games following Saturday's 1-1 draw against Wolves.

It leaves the claret and blues six points off the play off positions ahead of this weekend's Villa Park clash against Fulham.

23 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

Aston Villa are the proof that once a club hits a certain level of dysfunctionality, throwing money at it will not solve the problem, only time, patience restructuring and rebuilding from the ground up.

We are not the first and wont be the last to come down and struggle - see Portsmouth, Leeds, Blues, Sunderland, Derby etc. As much as some dont want it in the short term, this guy can get teams winning and has done with worse squads than ours

Like Terry, Whelan and Samba??

Bruce is the total antithesis of a patient rebuilding approach. He is all about the short term - fine if that gets us up but we all know it won't 

We had a chance to sign the perfect progressive manager to build a new vibrant future-proof side with the money available but inside chose to engage a staid, old fashioned and backward looking coach in Bruce

I don't dislike Bruce, he seems an ok guy, but I've always been 100% convinced that he would not be able to take us up. The sooner he goes the sooner we can begin a new chapter, hopefully with a manager who can implement the patient building role you suggest

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, mattjpa said:

Aston Villa are the proof that once a club hits a certain level of dysfunctionality, throwing money at it will not solve the problem, only time, patience restructuring and rebuilding from the ground up.

We are not the first and wont be the last to come down and struggle - see Portsmouth, Leeds, Blues, Sunderland, Derby etc. As much as some dont want it in the short term, this guy can get teams winning and has done with worse squads than ours

Gets teams winning ? Sunderland ?

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Interesting is his press conference today he says last season was all about staying in the division - in that case why on his arrival was he talking up our promotion hopes saying how he’d arrived at a later stage at brum and got promoted.

He sure loves to move the goalposts .

WHAT. **** OFF. :bang:

I am really growing to dislike this man intently. Whilst already in the out camp we should already be getting prospective candidates lined up, even if we win the next few games.

21 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Bruce is the total antithesis of a patient rebuilding approach. He is all about the short term - fine if that gets us up but we all know it won't 

We had a chance to sign the perfect progressive manager to build a new vibrant future-proof side with the money available but inside chose to engage a staid, old fashioned and backward looking coach in Bruce

I don't dislike Bruce, he seems an ok guy, but I've always been 100% convinced that he would not be able to take us up. The sooner he goes the sooner we can begin a new chapter, hopefully with a manager who can implement the patient building role you suggest

Terry, Whelan & Samba are minimal cost outlays. They will do a job and bring the youth players on (I believe it was part of Bruce's remit this year to do this). Their cost will (hopefully) be recouped either through playing time or with transfer fees of the younger players who they've benefitted.

Bruce is/was a steady pair of hands while we rebuild the club. The progressive manager would have been nice but a higher risk, one not worth taking IMO in our position a year ago. We will eventually sign that manager but I still think that we're a few months/a year away from sorting the mess behind the scenes. Once we as a club identify what the 'Villa way' of playing going forward is, then I think we will be able to get the right 'fit' of manager for us. If we still go for a Steve Bruce esque kind of manager at that point, then we need to start worrying.

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Interesting is his press conference today he says last season was all about staying in the division - in that case why on his arrival was he talking up our promotion hopes saying how he’d arrived at a later stage at brum and got promoted.

He sure loves to move the goalposts .

WHAT. **** OFF. :bang:

I am really growing to dislike this man intently. Whilst already in the out camp we should already be getting prospective candidates lined up, even if we win the next few games.

Ah cmon, if he had said that last year he would've had a riot on his hands within a week.

but there was no reason to think that weas true. 11 games into a season with the investment in that side, with January to come,  no way was the season's goal to only stay in the division. Stabilise and push on towards the play-offs would have been the goal, bed in those players ready for a proper tilt had we just missed out. As it happens we sleep walked into total mediocrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Sorry TRO I've said over and over again everything Bruce has done has been geared to an overly defensive mindset totally unsuited to the players we had and totally unnecessarily.

Ive said over and over he sets us up way too defensively and that it's the cause of most of our problems.

And incidentally you disagreed every time that it was anything to do with it.

Now he has come out and said so.

So my criticism of him has been based on pure footballing terms, not personal, and he has now come out and basically said so.

And you find something in that to have a go at ME for !!!???

Astonishing.

Terry, maybe you are feeling vulnerable and need steve Bruces approval.I don't think you needed it.

I agree, you are right about him setting us up, negatively and defensively, you didn't need to rub his face in it.

you are right, i had my doubts and had a notion the players were at fault, i have since altered my opinion, having the benefit of seeing more games.i thought it was too early to say what you did, but i have already said....I think you was right.

However, Bruce bashing has almost becoming a pastime.He is our manager and until he is no longer, i will support him.

I accept his shortcomings as you describe, but just like players, they sometimes need support and perhaps WE can get the best out of him.

If not ,the inevitable will happen......and I for one, will have a new manager to support.

Ps many managers have said we fear losing its nothing new.....but yes you was right.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Who is the perfect progressive manager you allude to?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Terry, maybe you are feeling vulnerable and need steve Bruces approval.I don't think you needed it.

I agree, you are right about him setting us up, negatively and defensively, you didn't need to rub his face in it.

you are right, i had my doubts and had a notion the players were at fault, i have since altered my opinion, having the benefit of seeing more games.i thought it was too early to say what you did, but i have already said....I think you was right.

However, Bruce bashing has almost becoming a pastime.He is our manager and until he is no longer, i will support him.

I accept his shortcomings as you describe, but just like players, they sometimes need support and perhaps WE can get the best out of him.

If not ,the inevitable will happen......and I for one, will have a new manager to support.

Ps many managers have said we fear losing its nothing new.....but yes you was right.

I think that first couple of words is unworthy of you, and certainly don't apply to me.

What on earth have I got to feel vulnerable about !!?,:rolleyes:

As for sensitivity have a look at yourself . I haven't " rubbed his face" in anything, what a ridiculous comment.

All I said is he has now acknowledged something some people have spent a year ( in which we've invested time and money as well as support) saying was the root cause of our struggles.

Why do you find that such an awful post ?

Bashing ??? Again I think that's a joke. I want him gone so what ? That's not bashing. And all I've done is comment on his own comments.

Tell you what, it almost sounds like it's a sensitive subject for you personally ally, not for the first time either.

And of course losing is every leaders concern....but that fear doesn't have to DOMINATE. I think you are missing the point by a long, long, way.

And I don't need advice on the nature of ' support' either !!

• Like 2

The man is just an out and out liar, out and out liar those he is working for will know that.

Dead man walking, absolute corpse in a suit. 

Irrespective of results he has no future at the club and on the basis of what he has been saying lately she knows it.

• Like 3

People keep saying Wagner but we dont know he would have been a success here. lets use lambert as a example he was excellent at norwich and came here and didnt do well/ Wagner  could have flopped like him as we were a shambles before Bruce came. We are pretty poor now but I think we are "slightly" better than under di matteo and the back end of the relegation 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Which makes it even worse we opted for Bruce over him last year.

Yes but you can understand why they went for Bruce over Wagner. He was free, safe pair of hand (according to his CV prior to coming here) and had the background. Wagner was a gamble. Did we really need anotehr gamble at the time after so many had failed (sherwood, garde and di matteo) 

Looking at it now it seems a wrong decision but I can't blame Xia and Round for that. I really did think Bruce would be  a success here . Wagner could have been great but he could have done a lambert also as the squad was shit and had no confidence. 

50 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I think that first couple of words is unworthy of you, and certainly don't apply to me.

What on earth have I got to feel vulnerable about !!?,:rolleyes:

As for sensitivity have a look at yourself . I haven't " rubbed his face" in anything, what a ridiculous comment.

All I said is he has now acknowledged something some people have spent a year ( in which we've invested time and money as well as support) saying was the root cause of our struggles.

Why do you find that such an awful post ?

Bashing ??? Again I think that's a joke. I want him gone so what ? That's not bashing. And all I've done is comment on his own comments.

Tell you what, it almost sounds like it's a sensitive subject for you personally ally, not for the first time either.

And of course losing is every leaders concern....but that fear doesn't have to DOMINATE. I think you are missing the point by a long, long, way.

And I don't need advice on the nature of ' support' either !!

I think you maybe missing the point.

You have made your claims and I had my doubts, but I as time as past I have warmed to your opinions.

He comes out in an interview ( and I haven't heard by the way) and the non supporters of him.....are hanging off every negative to prove their point or have a go.

The bloke is probably close to the tin tack and is trying to be as honest as he can.....are we to kick a man when he's down.

sorry, Terry......I will wait to see the results and make my claim, not on what he says in interviews, even if i disagree with the comments.

but yes you are entitled to your stance and the nature of support as you put it.

Edited by TRO

Â