Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I think you'll find a lot of fans care deeply of how we play , hence the anti Bruce sentiment on VT , of course , most on here always want Villa to win , but would rather see us doing it with some panache and guile . Don't underestimate the desire for entertainment, something Bruce's Villa , in the main , seem to be devoid of .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

If we think we can, we can.....if we think we can't we can't.

Its really down to belief and application now.....The winning mentality has to shine through.

My worry always is if teams want to get physical and close us down and get in our faces .....we have a recent tradition of feeling sorry for ourselves as opposed to applying our superior skills and skinning them.We should welcome that and treat it as a compliment not a chore.

We generally do lack a bit of pace to get away from trouble, but we have to find a way to compensate.....when you start totting up fixtures they start to look harder.....we need to look at every team, game by game and no further.

Then you will see with a full team, we CAN win every game.

Oh, if only it was that easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

@TRO

Great post.

It seems to me that the formation and set up at Barnsley is as close to our best offering as can be . Steve Bruce needs to adopt a system that represents the best squad in the division like most folk have said.

4-4-2 gives us the best balance IMO and should be our default formation, subject to injuries and suspensions to key players.

4-2-3-1 is a possibility playing 2 holders for a tough away game

4-1-4-1 is another possibility, but leaves a striker too much to do.

4-5-1 should be avoided at all costs unless we are coming off a run of defeats and want to stop the rot.

4-3-3 is a possibility when the swagger comes back and we are winning comfortably....particularly at Home.

3-5-2 Is another formation I would avoid, with aging centre backs.

5-3-2 Is a formation we should never have to consider with our squad.

Having said all of that.....11 players have to be on top of their game to win anything.

I’m printing this. 

Edited by GrassyNoel
Original post not quoted

41 minutes ago, GrassyNoel said:

It seems to me that the formation and set up at Barnsley is as close to our best offering as can be . Steve Bruce needs to adopt a system that represents the best squad in the division like most folk have said.

4-4-2 gives us the best balance IMO and should be our default formation, subject to injuries and suspensions to key players.

4-2-3-1 is a possibility playing 2 holders for a tough away game

4-1-4-1 is another possibility, but leaves a striker too much to do.

4-5-1 should be avoided at all costs unless we are coming off a run of defeats and want to stop the rot.

4-3-3 is a possibility when the swagger comes back and we are winning comfortably....particularly at Home.

3-5-2 Is another formation I would avoid, with aging centre backs.

5-3-2 Is a formation we should never have to consider with our squad.

Having said all of that.....11 players have to be on top of their game to win anything.

I’m printing this. 

Yes, good idea. Print it and post it to Steve Bruce.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

But it kinda smacks to me of CSKA Moscow under O'Neill and we was looking for a bit of momentum then he played a depleted team ( presumably in an effort to protect the first team)and lost away 2-0.....we came back and in the league and failed a win until 9 games later against Hull......I still think that was his watershed moment.

......a moment we still haven't recovered from

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I think you make some fair points.....but did he have to make SO many changes.....a bit of momentum would have gone down well.

I think some of the criticism aimed at him is fair......some of it is questionable.

Didn't Wolves put out a changed 11 put up a decent performance and win..............motivation missing down VP maybe

• Like 2

Actually our downfall started when Laursen got injured in January of 2009. The way I remember it, we where winning the league at that time, but succumbed after that draw against our lovely neighbors. 

Anyways, Bruce out, still.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

I agree with the sentiment, but my feeling is that Bruce's "Shut people up" line will be accurate if we win the next two games comfortably. I know that is a hefty 'if'. 

I will gladly hold my hands up and I say I was wrong to call for him to go if we do that, and I hope others would do the same.

I will gladly do the same, as I was a long time backer of Bruce.

However I think there is more chance of me waking up with a third nut than winning the next 2 or 3 games

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I will gladly do the same, as I was a long time backer of Bruce.

However I think there is more chance of me waking up with a third nut than winning the next 2 or 3 games

grow some

If Bruce gets us winning and promoted I will be giddy with delight.  But I will always hold the view that he made a rediculous hash of things for the first 9-10 months and made the whole thing much more difficult with clear blunder after clear blunder.   I will always puzzle over how that many mistakes can suddenly produce a winning machine.   But giddy with delight.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He said that Hogan had a knock in his interview after the game and I don't think we had another striker on the bench having already brought McCormack on.

ok

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you'll find a lot of fans care deeply of how we play , hence the anti Bruce sentiment on VT , of course , most on here always want Villa to win , but would rather see us doing it with some panache and guile . Don't underestimate the desire for entertainment, something Bruce's Villa , in the main , seem to be devoid of .

I don't care how we play as long as we get the points. I'm a Villa fan, not a West Ham fan.

Â