Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

4? The 2000 FA Cup final was just as awful

Yeah 3 finals, 2000, 2015 and 2018.

Don't really count Liverpool as imo cup semis shouldn't be played at Wembley and as brilliant as that win was it felt with the celebrations afterwards that was our FA cup final given how we "played" in the actual one a month later.

Edit: Ah I see what you mean, 2010 totally skipped my mind oddly. Well in that one we did score a goal and also have some corners and shots on target so an upgrade on the others. Add in a horrible early ref decision from Dowd and Rooney who scored the winner was in amazing form that season and if you have to lose a cup final, to me that is an acceptable way to lose.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I just think he simply didn't rate Elphick one little bit and wanted shot of him regardless of whether we could actually get any other CB in. Bad decision particularly as Chester from start of the season didn't look right (think of him lunging in and giving away that penalty v Reading).

He treated Elphick like shit especially stripping him of captaincy soon after walking in the door then shipping him out twice on loan. Once for a midfielder

awful man manager

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

True I thought he meant our recent finals. Liverpool game seems to be the exception. Chelsea semi final was awful too 

Chelsea semi we should've been ahead at half time as Gabby was clearly pulled back in the area and we had a few other chances. We tired on the hour mark and then Chelsea pulled us apart as our assistant manager predicted would happen at the time. Chelsea won the double that year so very good team that season.

Makes you wish to play some lower league plucky team like Bradford in those  stages......oh.:lol:

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Helps that he hasn't had to inherit a steve bruce mess. 

That's not what Dean Smith said when he took over?....it might look like it now.

He actually praise the talent in the squad.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what SB said to them in the dressing room ten minutes before kick off. And even how we prepared in the week before the final?

I can't believe given how we played that first half phrases like "front foot", "play freely" and "press" would've appeared much in his time talk. I can imagine all the cliches he used to use in his interviews about "playing yourself into the game" "keep things tight" would've.

It's like Mourinho at Man. United. Sets training up all week to be defensive and restrictive and guess what talented players play like that on a matchday.

Now TRO I know you'll come back with DS can't do this either and I agree it's been a really poor and disappointing run since xmas but I just don't think Dean has the squad to play his style, certainly not without Grealish in the 11. Big squad overhaul this summer.

Anyway what's a fact is we were 90 minutes away from premier league football so the performance was simply a massive disappointment considering what was at stake. Who knows how many seasons it will take for us to get into that position again.

No, I have no intention of having a pop at Dean....But that bolden bit does kinda smack of a bit of praise,whether it was meant to I'm not sure, if it was so bad under SB, why would it take so long to replicate it?....sounds a bit paradoxical to me.

he's averaging 2 points per game since he started. Keep anything like that up until the end of the season and they will be in the play offs.

Skybet currently have them at 150/1 to be promoted. Might be worth a soft £10 bet

Edited by LakotaDakota

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

No, I have no intention of having a pop at Dean....But that bolden bit does kinda smack of a bit of praise,whether it was meant to I'm not sure, if it was so bad under SB, why would it take so long to replicate it?....sounds a bit paradoxical to me.

Just a throwaway comment. We've been down here three years now and only seriously challenged for promotion in one of those seasons despite spending millions upon millions. Last season was our chance and we played well for most of it but couldn't step things up when it really mattered hence the frustration at how we played in the final.

I expect we'll be better next season as this always had the feeling of a rebuilding season and so it will prove. Whether we'll be good enough to get to a stage where we're 90 minutes away from the premier league I certainly wouldn't put any money on that.

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

That's not what Dean Smith said when he took over?....it might look like it now.

He actually praise the talent in the squad.

He isnt going to start a new job by slaughtering the players at his disposal like some managers have at clubs before. Quick way to lose the dressing room

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just a throwaway comment. We've been down here three years now and only seriously challenged for promotion in one of those seasons despite spending millions upon millions. Last season was our chance and we played well for most of it but couldn't step things up when it really mattered hence the frustration at how we played in the final.

I expect we'll be better next season as this always had the feeling of a rebuilding season and so it will prove. Whether we'll be good enough to get to a stage where we're 90 minutes away from the premier league I certainly wouldn't put any money on that.

i happen to think you was actually right is saying it....I think it will take some time.

Interesting clip from Elphick in the B/Mail tonight....giving his take on whats wrong with Villa.

I think changing most of the team will revisit the situation of a few seasons ago, where they took so long to gel....I don't see next season being one of any ilk, due to the extent of the change that's needed.....and we still have to rely on getting the right players in.

I live in hope, like the next fan, but I honestly don't expect anything to shout about.

Question....is this Jorge Mendez meant to be doing anything with us.?

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He isnt going to start a new job by slaughtering the players at his disposal like some managers have at clubs before. Quick way to lose the dressing room

That's one extreme to the other.

When you are in the spotlight, you have to stand on what you say, He could have said nothing.....He meant what he said alright.

There are plenty on here who have also said a very good squad or words to that effect....some have even said best in the division.

maybe a few opinions are being checked now.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea semi we should've been ahead at half time as Gabby was clearly pulled back in the area and we had a few other chances. We tired on the hour mark and then Chelsea pulled us apart as our assistant manager predicted would happen at the time. Chelsea won the double that year so very good team that season.

Makes you wish to play some lower league plucky team like Bradford in those  stages......oh.:lol:

or Doncaster Rovers 3-0 in 2005

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep Dave, you're always right. 

Let's get McCormack back in up front. 

With the greatest of respect - if this is the best  reply to this post.

its better to leave this particular post.

I'm sure we'll cross swords again soon👍🏻

Actually had to go and check who Sheff Weds have actually played so far under him as I certainly couldn't remember them playing Leeds off the pitch and getting a win v West Brom or Norwich recently.

They've had a ridiculous easy run.

First game for SB was a win at Ipswich who we also beat recently.

He then did what he did with us in August and couldn't beat Reading at home, 0-0.

Then went to Millwall and drew 0-0 and then drew 2-2 at Rotherham with 101st minute goal.

4 of the bottom 6 in his first four games!!! No way SB is stupid or whatever as I'm sure he had a quick look at the fixtures when he agreed to take over on Feb 1st....

Last two wins more impressive but would be more impressed if they went away and did that, we still beat Swansea home and away under DS after all.

In April they play us, Forest and Leeds and Norwich away so imagine that will kill off any faint hopes of top 6.

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Actually had to go and check who Sheff Weds have actually played so far under him as I certainly couldn't remember them playing Leeds off the pitch and getting a win v West Brom or Norwich recently.

They've had a ridiculous easy run.

First game for SB was a win at Ipswich who we also beat recently.

He then did what he did with us in August and couldn't beat Reading at home, 0-0.

Then went to Millwall and drew 0-0 and then drew 2-2 at Rotherham with 101st minute goal.

4 of the bottom 6 in his first four games!!! No way SB is stupid or whatever as I'm sure he had a quick look at the fixtures when he agreed to take over on Feb 1st....

Last two wins more impressive but would be more impressed if they went away and did that, we still beat Swansea home and away under DS after all.

In April they play us, Forest and Leeds and Norwich away so imagine that will kill off any faint hopes of top 6.

Yeah it has been a nearly perfect set of fixtures for him.

I’m reluctant to beat him with that point too much though, as Smith has struggled with lower table opposition - as much as Bruce did with us at the start of the season.

But you’re right, I doubt they’ll be getting much return in that month. They’d do well to get anything from their next game - Sheff Utd.

New manager bounce maybe*? Smith’s good start has been written off by some as that so for consistency it’s only fair to suggest it. Bruce had a good start under us too, it quickly became a mixed bag.

Edit * I suppose that will depend how the rest of the season pans out, in fairness.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Â