Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

On 28/08/2018 at 08:36, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on Tro. You can’t say he had better players than Bruce so easier to get wins. You have to look at his players in relation to the competition.  In that respect Atletico really punched above their weight while he was manager. 

I do agree it’s too early to say he has transformed Leeds. But he came with a reputation of being a very highly rated coach across Europe. 

I was referring to his managing at international level mainly.

Just now, TRO said:

We will see if he does better than Bruce at season end.

Ah OK

No idea, are we assuming both clubs have promotion as their set target?

Anyway, different clubs and circumstances and all that.

As always I misunderstood your point and thought you were comparing their statures as managers because that would have been ridiculous since one is among the most influential manager in the last 30 years.

And the other one is Steve Bruce. 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was referring to his managing at international level mainly.

Fair enough. Personally I don’t think you can judge any manager for his international achievements. Apart from picking players and formation, how much influence can they really have on their players? 

On 28/08/2018 at 00:18, Tomaszk said:

I should hope not, you obviously know that's absurd.

Reckon it's harder to win matches in La Liga or The Championship?

Andi Weimann has already scored 5 goals this season. This league is crap. And instead of rising above it, we're wallowing around in it.

I don't think this league is crap.....and I don't think Frank Lampard thinks it is either,having just come from the top level.

Well......we will see him how he does, this season......then you can revisit your opinion or wallow in it.

most are of the opinion, its a very hard to get out of.........don't keep looking at technical ability alone to judge this league, else you will be missing a trick.

its arduous.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Ah OK

No idea, are we assuming both clubs have promotion as their set target?

Anyway, different clubs and circumstances and all that.

As always I misunderstood your point and thought you were comparing their statures as managers because that would have been ridiculous since one is among the most influential manager in the last 30 years.

And the other one is Steve Bruce. 

Its like i say"........proof of the pudding is in the eating.

i can't make it any clearer.........both big clubs for this division.

Iam not saying you are wrong.....but in this division, in this country....unproven.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its like i say"........proof of the pudding is in the eating.

i can't make it any clearer.........both big clubs for this division.

Iam not saying you are wrong.....but in this division, in this country....unproven.

Well if it's about eating pudding then my money is squarely on Bruce.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, TRO said:

It isn't a statement, its a fact.....thats why i said draw your own conclusions.

Yes, i would prefer Benitez to Bruce......but not so sure about Biesla.

Yeah, let's get Benitez in and when we do go up we can look forward to 18% possession at home to Chelsea. 

• Haha 1

Bielsa's unique style continued at Leeds, where in order to receive a work permit from the UK government he had to prove "exceptional talent": he did so by compiling a dossier of every formation used in every Championship match during the 2017-18 season, with notes on frequency and variations. Once at the Yorkshire club, he instituted all-day training sessions, gave the first team their own private space at Thorp Arch, and had sleeping quarters installed in his office so he could devote more time to match analysis. As a motivational tactic, Bielsa once made players pick up trash around the training ground for three hours, as he had been told that was how long an average Leeds fan worked to afford a ticket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Bielsa#Coaching_style

"I never ask anyone on the staff – from the tea lady to the players – to do anything that I wouldn't enjoy doing myself"

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/leadership-wellbeing/manager-interviews/steve-bruce-great-unknown/

Interesting contrast don't you think @TRO?

On one hand you have a coach said by some of the games best and many more that work with him that he inspired them as men and athletes. He turned down Inter Milan to continue on with what was a team assembled on pittance in Bilbao. Also turning down Mexico to continue as Leeds boss recently, he hasn't lived up to the press fed critics by abandoning Leeds just yet. People have mistakenly taken his nickname to  mean he is an actual lunatic.

On the other hand you have a coach who is possibly the punching bag of British football. A dinosaur. Tactically inept. Boring. Yet his career as manager has seen four promotions, and his record with Wigan was better than Martinez (who was said to be working miracles keeping them up), helped Sunderland to their 2nd highest finish in the Premier League, took Hull to an FA Cup final.

I'd say both are hard done by the press, but no way does Bruce compete with Bielsa as a manager.

In my opinion Bielsa could be the resurrection of Leeds to European placing. I don't see that happening for us under Bruce.

• Like 1

Leeds United head coach Marcelo Bielsa says he never gets angry with his players following defeats instead choosing to "understand", "analyse" and "give solutions" to his side. The Argentine tasted defeat for the first time as United manager on Tuesday evening as he watched his side crash out of the Carabao Cup at the hands of Alex Neil and Preston North End.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/why-leeds-united-head-coach-marcelo-bielsa-won-t-get-angry-at-his-players-following-defeats-1-9325754

Again, interesting contrast to Bruce's reaction to our exit.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

We could rename this thread flavour of the month thread. Also, the bias in interpreting every micro stat or situation is becoming ludicrous. I swear one manager was criticised for not being passionate enough, but now Bielsa is in vogue any characteristic but a Bielsa characteristic is just another tick in the justifying-bias checklist. 

For the record: I'm so on the fence it hurts. I did see us out-play the tactical genius that is Dean Smith though so my brain broke for ten minutes trying to process that one until I decided it was Agnew and the new signings that did it. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

We could rename this thread flavour of the month thread. Also, the bias in interpreting every micro stat or situation is becoming ludicrous. I swear one manager was criticised for not being passionate enough, but now Bielsa is in vogue any characteristic but a Bielsa characteristic is just another tick in the justifying-bias checklist. 

For the record: I'm so on the fence it hurts. I did see us out-play the tactical genius that is Dean Smith though so my brain broke for ten minutes trying to process that one until I decided it was Agnew and the new signings that did it. 

If you enjoy what you're watching, there's no problem? You should be looking forward to another new season. We're picking up points already.

20 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

Bielsa flavour of the month :lol:

He's your favorite manager's favorite manager. He's not Garry Monk or Frank Lampard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah, let's get Benitez in and when we do go up we can look forward to 18% possession at home to Chelsea. 

At least there would be a chance we actually do go up.

• Haha 1

Â