Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, sne said:

One of the reasons this thread (and most others) look like it does is because this is very much a "pass/fail" season.

Only if we are promoted is this season a success, anything else and we will have failed. Think most, regardless where you stand will agree with this.

With that in mind it's obviously too early to judge, but anyone committed like we are will not just sit quiet for a whole season and just wait.

For me we should be further on with the building of a team, squad and way of playing after this lone and the amount of money invested.

One thing that was lifted from the more "glass half full" people was that it might have been a blessing in disguise that we were not promoted  last season as the team was no where near ready for the PL (fully agree it wasn't) and that one more season in the Championship to rebuild would do us good (didn't agree with that).

With half a season passed I think it's safe to say that we have failed at that. This squad is just as unready for the PL as it was last season, doubt we have a single player who would be ready to be a starter in the PL. 

And our manager have failed to build a team out of these players who have anything resembling a cohesion or tactic to compensate for the lack of individual skill needed in the PL.

To get out of the Championship you don't need a PL squad or amazing team tactics, it's overall poor and no team but maybe Wolves is close to the finished article.

My issue with Bruce is that even thou I didn't rate him very high I expected him to make much more out of the resources at hand given the time he's been given.

I just haven't seen anything to give me hope he can get us out of here. And since that is the only merit for the manager I don't see it ending the way we all want.

Good post. I always said I will judge him properly when we get through these next few games. 

33 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Usually a sign that something is imminent when players start praising their manager.. (especially when they are doing shit) usually see's them gone after 2 more shit results.

What a load of nonsense :crylaugh: 

The players have been praising Bruce since he got here.

53 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if Bruce doesn;'t win weekend he is in massive trouble of losing the fans as a majority of them have been patient and seen strides have been made. But with a big crowd expected and on sky they are going to HAVE to put a performance in. 

Spot on.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What a load of nonsense :crylaugh: 

The players have been praising Bruce since he got here.

Not nonsense really Stevo as it does happen.

The players are not exactly going to come out and say "on no, not this useless word removed!" or "He never played me vs Derby so he can f**k off" exacty now are they?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not nonsense really Stevo as it does happen.

The players are not exactly going to come out and say "on no, not this useless word removed!" or "He never played me vs Derby so he can f**k off" exacty now are they?

Well that's exactly the point.

The players will almost always praise the manager. From the day he got her until the day he leaves.

So to suggest because Terry was praising Bruce means Bruce is two results away from the sack is, in my opinion, nonsense. The two things don't correlate.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

As is saying 'we are way off' where we should be IMO. 

I've commented on how irritating I also find the binary approach where you have to pick a side and defend it at all costs before. It's as if people think they'll look weak or something if they change their minds or just have a more balanced view. I think it might be a symptom of the gradual Americanisation of our society - a total lack of subtlety, nuance or shading. DERPOCRAT OR REPUBLIDER! CHOOSE NOW AND FOREVER BE THAT WAY!

We are way off the targets set in the summer. It has been broken down and explained. 

Your choice if you want to ignore it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Come on mate. I haven't invented anything. It has definitely been suggested that we can't get promoted with Bruce in charge. 

Ok maybe nobody has directly said if we changed managers we would get promoted but there have been suggestions that sacking him now gives us a better chance.

Anyway the point of my original post has been lost now. 

But that is very different to what was originally said. I was only pointing out that it was exaggerated from the opinions people had actually put forward. 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that's exactly the point.

The players will almost always praise the manager. From the day he got her until the day he leaves.

So to suggest because Terry was praising Bruce means Bruce is two results away from the sack is, in my opinion, nonsense. The two things don't correlate.

Time will tell, he has had two shit results in Millwall then Derby.

2 games we should have taken a minimum of 4 points from.. we came away with 1..

'IF' he loses the next 2 games then that will be 1 pt from a possible 12.

Time will tell I guess but I stand by my judgement from what I have seen so far.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think the money was the main focus to be honest. I think bruce did play  a major role in him coming here. Terry probably had interest from the likes of Boro and other top championship clubs. He also could have gone abroad if he wanted to for I am sure more money. 

I think if Bruce doesn;'t win weekend he is in massive trouble of losing the fans as a majority of them have been patient and seen strides have been made. But with a big crowd expected and on sky they are going to HAVE to put a performance in. 

I could be cynical and say Birmingham is closer to Chelsea than teeside (& abroad)

if it was down to Bruce or ‚arry I think he‘d have chosen ‚arry

as it was Aston Villa or the scum, well no contest there.

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But that is very different to what was originally said. I was only pointing out that it was exaggerated from the opinions people had actually put forward. 

It was an exgeration I admit. But it wasn't completely made up so I could defend my hero Steve Bruce. ;)

Out of interest, who out there thinks if we stick with Bruce there is zero chance of promotion but we sack him now there is good chance of promotion. Any takers ?

• Like 1

Next two games are key for me, especially the Brentford one on Boxing Day. If Dean Smith turns him over again, having sold their best players earlier in the season, then it's a simple decision for me. He has to go, and Smith should replace him before the January transfer window to add a bargain or two. 

17 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Next two games are key for me, especially the Brentford one on Boxing Day. If Dean Smith turns him over again, having sold their best players earlier in the season, then it's a simple decision for me. He has to go, and Smith should replace him before the January transfer window to add a bargain or two. 

Not going to happen until promotion is mathematically impossible.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Also, offering a contract doesn't mean it's accepted. 

correct

grasshopper's idea is a good one,

Absolutely 100% correct

but one that Bruce and any other decent manager would have probably turned down.

Hmm

I‘m not so sure about that.

Bruce was out of work at the time. He resigned from Hull pretty early and other clubs could have offered him something before we did.

But more importantly, as Bruce indeed said himself „I‘ve waited 20years for a job at a big club“ (unless he didnt mean us). So I think he would have taken it even if he’d only been offered a years supply of Kebabs and an effective Carb-blocker

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I have heard very few rumblings in the stands about Bruce. The majority are still massively behind him, I don't think one bad result will sway that. So many people singing his name for on the holte.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Out of interest, who out there thinks if we stick with Bruce there is zero chance of promotion but we sack him now there is good chance of promotion. Any takers ?

I‘d take it.

I‘ve been wanting to „take it“ since the Cardiff defeat in January

Â