Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

While I'm not happy with recent form and being 10 points behind Cardiff. From reading this site you'd think the season had already ended and we had missed promotion. 

Automatic promotion.. its looking very much like we are out of the picture now, especially the way we are playing.

You do realise we are as close to 16th and we are to 2nd? 

As for the playoffs, our record against the top sides is absolutely abysmal, so I do not fancy our chances through that route. 

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Wow did not realise that about winning the next 7 games in a row. What concerns me is that even a similar run that we have seen recently (before the Millwall game) would not be enough to get us where we need to be. That run was very good and was against, for the main, lower opposition. 

Just on this since the draw against Boro we have a 9-2-2 record. Even if we somehow miraculously got the same kind of results against better teams we would have 66 points after 35 games and still not be at the 2 ppg target. Our next 13 games?

Sheff U, Brentford, Boro, Bristol, Forest, Barnsley, Sheff United, Burton, Birmingham, Fulham, PNE, Sheff Wed, QPR

The issue is the games in Feb are probably our easiest run of games. We then have to play better teams till the end of the season and still somehow make up 4 points to get to the 2ppg target. Basically, after all that nonsense, we need to go on a massive run of games winning every game and also beating the top sides. 

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Automatic promotion.. its looking very much like we are out of the picture now, especially the way we are playing.

You do realise we are as close to 16th and we are to 2nd? 

As for the playoffs, our record against the top sides is absolutely abysmal, so I do not fancy our chances through that route. 

I appriecate all of that and I understand the reasons to be not be optimistic about our chances. 

But the reality is there is still half a season to go and we are currently in the running. 

If we fall out of and away from the play off zone I will join many of you in giving up all hope.  But until that happens I'm still going to believel we can go up. (more fool me).

35 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Just on this since the draw against Boro we have a 9-2-2 record. Even if we somehow miraculously got the same kind of results against better teams we would have 66 points after 35 games and still not be at the 2 ppg target. Our next 13 games?

Sheff U, Brentford, Boro, Bristol, Forest, Barnsley, Sheff United, Burton, Birmingham, Fulham, PNE, Sheff Wed, QPR

The issue is the games in Feb are probably our easiest run of games. We then have to play better teams till the end of the season and still somehow make up 4 points to get to the 2ppg target. Basically, after all that nonsense, we need to go on a massive run of games winning every game and also beating the top sides. 

Top 2 is very unlikely to happen. We'll go up via the playoffs. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Exactly. 

It's not just a case that we are 7 pts off. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

:crylaugh:

Why ask me the question in the first place?

You always do this! Ask me a question and when I reply you tell me you don't want to know. It's so weird.

I didn’t really ask you a question Stevo in a true sense- just if you have considered you might be wrong possibly, sometimes, maybe, it’s plausible imo 

10 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I didn’t really ask you a question Stevo in a true sense- just if you have considered you might be wrong possibly, sometimes, maybe, it’s plausible imo 

Which I answered. And said I fully admit that I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Would anybody though change him right now (Dec 18) - and gamble on luring a suitable replacement who can hot the ground running ?

Not to defend him - he hasn't done as well as I hoped or thought he would.

But I just can't see who we would bring in right now who would improve the current results to get us promoted. Come May the club would have greater choice in the field of candidates as replacements - changing him now would IMO result in a 'who is available' approach - and could quite feasibly result in us starting next season with a manager that wasn't anyones first choice. 

I would.  I just don't think he's going to reach the goal set for him.  I have no idea who could replace him.  That should be the responsibility of Wyness and Round.  But whoever s/he is, I would rather get them in now, so they can work with the team for a bit, then have a window to make some changes.  Is it a risk?  Of course it is.  But I think sticking is pretty close to guaranteed falling short.  So taking the risk has become the safer bet.  IMO.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Would anybody though change him right now (Dec 18) - and gamble on luring a suitable replacement who can hot the ground running ?

Not to defend him - he hasn't done as well as I hoped or thought he would.

But I just can't see who we would bring in right now who would improve the current results to get us promoted. Come May the club would have greater choice in the field of candidates as replacements - changing him now would IMO result in a 'who is available' approach - and could quite feasibly result in us starting next season with a manager that wasn't anyones first choice. 

I‘m leaning towards „Anyone on VT“ could do a better job.

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

read the thread if you really want to know

I've read it. I don't recall seeing anyone denying we were targeting 2ppg this season.

I think everyone has agreed we should have been targeting Automatic promotion this season, and 2ppg is generally needed to achieve that.

I think what you're struggling with is people saying that if we fall short of that target but STILL achieve promotion, then they would accept that. Or the notion that even though we're falling short of that target, our best chance of promotion is still with Steve Bruce given the position we find ourselves in.
But that is not the same as denying that our target was automatic promotion.

There's a lot of straw manning in this thread lately.

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know, but @Grasshopper ought to be able to identify him given the rather precise description we have of his computer.  

Nice counter

59 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you're a poster who doesn't favour sacking the manager immediately, and you have floor-length curtains, you may want to check carefully behind them this evening. 

also very good

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, omariqy said:

one for the “file to” realism log

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Then stop doing it

:crylaugh:

I'm not.

Although I might join in. Seems like a good way to argue with yourself and get loads of likes from fellow straw manners.

Argh! Grrrrr! All these people saying Steve Bruce is the best manager we have ever had. God I hate them. Bloody idiots!

Am I doing it right?

Â